AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Is anybody out there having this problem?

When I export a clip using the EyeTV MPEG Program Stream format, the file that has been exported will have SKIPS in it.

I'm using an EyeTV 500 box.

- thanks for any help.

Ted. :mad:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm not sure about that specific problem, but I have one ABC affiliate that uses VHF and I have a UHF antenna. It breaks up a lot and when it does the audio and video sometimes get out of sync or the audio goes away completely.

I transcoded most of the episodes of Losts last season to DVD, but toward the end, as my trees came out, I had a lot of reception problems and ultimately gave up on the project because I couldn't create DVDs that worked because of the reception problems.

Could that be what you're seeing? Are you sure that the original recording is good before you export it?

Dennis

·
Registered
594 Posts
I concur that even the smallest glitch in the recorded HD broadcast can result in a much larger glitch when transcoded down to DVD format.

BTW: for what reason are you exporting as program stream?

I ask because that's what I used to do to EyeTV500 programs that I wanted to process via Toast and burn to DVD (to watch on the living room TV). With the release of Toast 7, you can skip the export step and process the EyeTV file directly from within Toast.

I use the "Save As Disc Image" command to make a burnable image instead of burning directly to disc -- that way the DVD burner isn't tied up for hours sitting there doing nothing while the files are processed. And I usually set it up to run overnight -- not like the computer's doing anything else at that time! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
KnowMacPro,

I can testify to the fact that there are skips in the export on EyeTV 500 HDTV streams. The program length is shorter in the exported version than what is stored in EyeTV. I would call this a bug.

-STS

·
Registered
999 Posts
Not to dismiss these observations, since I've never tried exporting MPEG2_PS from EyeTV.... As a work-around if you need to convert MPEG2_TS to MPEG2_PS try VLC's advanced output options. That works every time for me and it's fast.

Have you tried contacting ElGato Support about this issue. Nick was responsive to my emails when were having those terrible EyeTV 500 capture problems last summer. Thankfully that's all in the past.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The EyeTV recorded show I'm exporting from is not in HD. I'm exporting short clips of musician's performances on shows like Letterman > so that EyeTV method of just exporting a clip is very handy. The exported Program Stream clips skip about 50% of the time.

I sent Nick at Elgato Support an attachment with the files so he can examine them.

If anybody else is experiencing this, please let me know.

Ted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.