AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I'm looking for the simplest (non-warranty voiding) solution for my parents to backup their sky+ box. Am I right in assuming as long as the capture card supports HDCP then it will capture 1080p ok?

I saw this on ebay, a Baaqii VC113, has anyone come across it before?:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161375540517?euid=ff74ca29fe0e41febab9013ca1bcd961&cp=1
Also, here is the manual:
http://www.baaqii.com/promanage/manual/VC113.pdf

The seller has had no experience with Sky+ but has said other HDCP boxes work with it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
I cannot speak about this specific box, but in general if the source content is HDCP protected they will not allow you to capture it -- that is the purpose of HDCP and that is generally what it means when these boxes say they support HDCP. Boxes like this are for capturing live game play from a game console or HD camcorder video which is about the only non-HDCP protected content. Read the description on eBay -- it is all about game capture. Gamers do this to share their exploits with other gamers. It can capture BluRay output from a BluRay player if the content is not HDCP protected -- the only BD content not HDCP protected would be home-authored BD disks or pirated BluRay titles disks. If your Sky+ box protects the HDMI output with HDCP this box will probably not capture it.

I keep saying probably because I am not familiar with this specific box and you are buying from Europe so there is always the possibility you are able to get a chinese box that has no respect for any DRM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cannot speak about this specific box, but in general if the source content is HDCP protected they will not allow you to capture it -- that is the purpose of HDCP and that is generally what it means when these boxes say they support HDCP. Boxes like this are for capturing live game play from a game console or HD camcorder video which is about the only non-HDCP protected content. Read the description on eBay -- it is all about game capture. Gamers do this to share their exploits with other gamers. It can capture BluRay output from a BluRay player if the content is not HDCP protected -- the only BD content not HDCP protected would be home-authored BD disks or pirated BluRay titles disks. If your Sky+ box protects the HDMI output with HDCP this box will probably not capture it.

I keep saying probably because I am not familiar with this specific box and you are buying from Europe so there is always the possibility you are able to get a chinese box that has no respect for any DRM.
Thanks for the info! So when boxes like these say they "support HDCP" are they essentially saying that they have no respect for DRM?

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
So when boxes like these say they "support HDCP" are they essentially saying that they have no respect for DRM?
No just the opposite. They are saying they are HDCP compliant and leaving it up to you to understand what that means. Many of these manufacturers won't explicitly spell out the limitations of their products in the advertising literature -- it would make them look unattractive. They give you the high level and concentrate on what it can do and leave it for you to discover what it can't do after you have bought it. So if you are intent on buying one of these the first thing you should ask is about the return policy. It also doesn't hurt to ask the vendor directly, "will this box allow the capture of HDCP-protected content?". If they won't give you a straight answer that tells you all you need to know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The seller confirmed that box does allow the capture of HDCP protected content, so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts