1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds23757.html

Sky reveals HDTV launch lineup

Monday, August 22 2005, 14:04 BST -- by Alan Jay and Neil Wilkes

Sky have announced provisional details of the channels in its HDTV launch lineup.

Among the offerings are Sky Sports, Sky Box Office, two Sky movie screens and simulcast HD versions of Sky One and Artsworld.

The broadcaster says it is in "advanced negotiations" with other broadcasters about joining the lineup; Discovery and National Geographic are among the channels tipped for inclusion.

From launch, Sky Sports HD will offer full live coverage of the Premiership in HD, with the added benefit of Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. In addition, there will be live rugby from the Guinness Premiership, mixed with other HD sports programming to be confirmed closer to the time of launch.

The two movie screens includes a slate of HD films such as Spider-Man 2, The Day After Tomorrow and House of Flying Daggers. "Up to ten movies a week" will be available through Sky Box Office HD.

The simulcast version of Sky One will include "a range of shows and cutting edge series" in HD.

Although Sky has yet to confirm pricing details or even a firm launch date, consumers eager to be amongst the first to sample the new service will be able to pre-register from this Friday (August 26). Pre-registration will be available at Comet stores around the country and at selected independent retailers.

"The launch of high definition will be the start of an exciting new era in broadcasting and Sky HD will offer stunning picture and sound quality for a broad selection of programmes," said Brian Sullivan, Sky's Director of Customer Products and Services.

"When this choice of viewing is combined with the Sky+ functionality of the Sky HD box, consumers who upgrade to HD Ready television sets can look forward to a viewing experience that will be truly transformed."

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, nothing new in the press release today. It really gives out the facts which are around by rumours the last six weeks. Isn`t really a suprise that Sky will give Sky One, one of their main channels for Shows from the US, a HD start. Discovery and Artsworld are good to go since two month. Sky is one of the last broadcaster with no start date for HD, just a year, 2006.

DougMan

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMan
Well, nothing new in the press release today. It really gives out the facts which are around by rumours the last six weeks. Isn`t really a suprise that Sky will give Sky One, one of their main channels for Shows from the US, a HD start. Discovery and Artsworld are good to go since two month. Sky is one of the last broadcaster with no start date for HD, just a year, 2006.

DougMan
However Discovery and Artsworld won't be launching before Sky - as Sky won't launch their platform until their channel line-up is ready, and without the platform, the other channels won't be able to broadcast effectively.

Sky are running MPEG4/DVB-S2 tests currently - but haven't announced a public, formal launch date. Suggestion is Feb 2006 - though it is dependent on decent supplies of MPEG4 chips being available to ensure an adequate supply of receivers. (Premiere and DirecTV are also after significant numbers of the same chipsets I believe)

By all accounts their new facilities are almost finished. However it is expected that they will launch their new News facilities (new studio in new building with new production systems) prior to the HD launch - another major project.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic
From launch, Sky Sports HD will offer full live coverage of the Premiership in HD, with the added benefit of Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. In addition, there will be live rugby from the Guinness Premiership, mixed with other HD sports programming to be confirmed closer to the time of launch.
Very nice. Now if the EPL PPV package on DirecTV gave us the games in HD for $300/season...I'd be ecstatic. But I'm not holding my breath on that one...I'll rest on the laurels of watching the WC in HD.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrownBoy
Now if the EPL PPV package on DirecTV gave us the games in HD for $300/season...I'd be ecstatic. But I'm not holding my breath on that one...
I'll likely just wait for the Fox Soccer Channel HD reruns on Tuesday- once they start sending out FSC in HD. I'm surprised there hasn't been anything said about FSC going HD.

It certainly is easy enough to not see the Premiership scores that I don't really see the value in paying for the EPL PPV package currently.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by auribe14
I'll likely just wait for the Fox Soccer Channel HD reruns on Tuesday- once they start sending out FSC in HD. I'm surprised there hasn't been anything said about FSC going HD.

It certainly is easy enough to not see the Premiership scores that I don't really see the value in paying for the EPL PPV package currently.
SHHHH... you are not supposed to say that out loud.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
It's totally unlikely that Sky will allow any recording outside their locked PVR, so for me this is going to be utterly worthless.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by auribe14
Is this really a possibility? I'd love it if I could see their aussie rules football coverage in HD (although I think it is only filmed in widescreen and no HD anyway).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRay
Is this really a possibility? I'd love it if I could see their aussie rules football coverage in HD (although I think it is only filmed in widescreen and no HD anyway).
Sky has announced that the Premiership games will be in HD. That is a lot of the programming on FSC, but it remains to be seen what happens.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robena
It's totally unlikely that Sky will allow any recording outside their locked PVR, so for me this is going to be utterly worthless.
Though if the BBC launch an HD MPEG4 service on the Sky platform, it is entirely possible that, like their SD MPEG2 offering, it will be FTA, and thus recordable on non-Sky DSat PVRs and PCs, as now. (Assuming the Beeb can keep their HD broadcasts on a tight beam as well. I wonder if the 2B transponder they have just rented will be used for services with fewer rights commitments - like the CBBC/CBeebies/BBC Three/BBC Four/BBC News 24 stuff, with rights dependent channels - including HD - retained on 2D)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.