AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

here's my scenario...

My satellite dish has 4 co-axials coming in to the attic and all 4 have a signal. Two of these cables are joined to 2 co-axials which run to the sky HD box downstairs. This works fine.

There are 3 other coaxial cables (one spare) to connect to the other two lines from the dish but all three are damaged (shorting). I have two spare cat5e cables in attic which run downstairs, can I use these to connect the dish feed to the second sky box?

Thanks in advance...

Dave

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Can you find where 1 or more is damaged, and repair?

How hard would it be to run new cables?

Sorry, don't have an answer about using ethernet cables to replace the coax.

BTW, how did you determine the coax cables are shorting? Big coincidence that all 3 are damaged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank for reply

It's a new build house and cables run through floors and walls so not possible to repair or run new cables without major work.

A TV aerialguy tested the signals with some sort of cable tester. It shorted his equipment each time...

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Coax cables showing a short could very likely just be the result of poor termination / connectors. I'd cut off the connectors from both ends, replace them, and test again before going any further.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I agree with Jeff. It's very easy, when terminating a cable, to have a small single strand of the outer shield wire touching the center conductor and shorting the cable.

I suggest you first cut off one connector of each cable and test for a short with an ohmmeter. If you are lucky you won't have to cut off the other end. If they are still shorted then cut off the other end and test the wires for a short again between the center conductor and the shield before replacing the connectors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts