AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looks good. Did you use any clips/hat channel on the ceiling for sound proofing?. With the weight of two projectors you might experience some shaking during heavy bass scenes...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan /forum/post/21099358

Looks good. Did you use any clips/hat channel on the ceiling for sound proofing?. With the weight of two projectors you might experience some shaking during heavy bass scenes...

Nope I didnt' use clips for this. Just too much extra cost for not the right benefits in this house. But in the future, I will. As far as the projectors go, it's SOLID. I've got a special Chief mount that was made for dual projectors and I've hung it and had my kids jump on the floor above and it doesn't move. Take a look at the post showing my reinforcement. That I believe made a good deal of difference. The bass should have no effect on it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I might be away from my house and not able to do anything on the theater but that doesn't stop me from constantly researching things especially considering the complexity of the technology I'm going to be using. So, while I was browsing the forum I came across this interesting thread.

It's been a wealth of information for me, much of I knew and a lot of it was confirmation of things I thought I knew. I recommend if anyone is considering a dual projector set up such as what I'm doing they give this thread a quick read.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1280393

More words to post later as I have to do some things at work.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
OK, so the reason I brought this discussion up is because going into this I knew that I might have some color issues because polarization of the projector colors counts in a big way towards the quality of the image being presented.

So after giving a read to that I have considered choosing a different projector that would be capable of providing the same or better benefits that could give me 0 problems regarding color polarization. The problem with the Epson 8700UB and many other Epson LCD's is that Green is polarized 90 degrees to Red and Blue. For those of you who haven't read the thread from my post earlier, if you have all of your colors polarized in the same plane, then there's no change going through the polarizer. There is some light percentage dropped going through on all types of light passing through, no matter what. But if 2 colors are polarized at one angle and the last color at another, then the odd color out will have less color dominance among the three total. If you didn't understand this, then you definitely need to refere rdjam's article.

So, given the above, I thought about selling my 2 Epsons to go with a better projector for this application. If I did I was thinking about buying a Panny AE7000U. And yes, I realize that it has built in 3D capability and that's not what I'm interested in. It has all colors polarized at the same plane or not at all. Individuals who have tested this posted their results here.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/a/po...s-lcd-and-lcos

But, only time will tell if I decide to go this route. I'm waiting to see how degraded the color might be. There is still a way of utilizing the projectors I have for good quality pictures but I might go with the new projectors. Admittedly, it would take a little more funds before I could purchase 2 of those projectors even after selling my two Epsons.

And by the way these Epsons have beautiful quality pictures so I'm saying these are bad by any means. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ok, so I made the decision to sell those two projectors and grab the RS40's or I believe I still am. The good thing is, those Epson's sold right away. The bad thing is the RS40 is worth two of the Epsons I just got rid of, so I'll be waiting for the money pile to buildup again to grab the second projector

On another note, I've gone as far as I can with the back soffitt area without making some possible mistakes with wiring, framing and other issues. I'm going to make sure that all of my columns are isloated from the soffits and from the riser. To do that I'm going to start with the right column and glue that to the floor and seal it next to the riser and soffit. Then I will slowly form the riser after getting that column done. I should be able to start working on that tonight. I'll post some updated pics tonight if I can remember as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So, I made some progress last night and this morning since I don't have to be into work until later. I basically finished the right column but haven't finished putting in the shelfing part for the speaker to sit on. I'll do that tonight. I also built part of the dividing wall. I say part because we're thinking of doing a diagonal rise at the end of the wall so that it goes higher and gives a more enclosed feeling. I still haven't decided. We'll see after tonight.

Start of the right column.

Column Fit Test

Closeup- I didn't want it to touch the soffitt and have it resonate. Later I will put caulk between it to seal it.

Wall and soffitt- Nothing's attatched yet, just waiting for me to grab some more construction glue before I continue.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So, I don't know about the rest of you but I hate doing toe screwing and toe nailing. So, I bought my new toy to speed things up.

And boy did it ever. It took me a while just to get the back done and granted the front soffits aren't as large as the back but I finished all this work in about 1 15 mins.

And of course here's the back with all of the wonderful toe nails in for the lookouts.

So, I'm moving right along and I was able to sell of my Epsons without much of a wait at all and I even picked up an JVC RS40U. Hopefully I can pick up my second one soon as well. My next order item will be two Optoma 3D-XLs.

In other news I also picked out the carpet that we want and it looks stellar for the price. I'll be hurriedly trying to build the risers this week so that I can finish the soffits and columns. That nail gun will certainly speed things up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I got a little done over the past two days on the riser. I was actually sick all day yesterday and forced myself to do some more later in the evening after I had slept nearly the whole day yesterday.

And my JVC RS40 arrived and checked out good yesterday. The bad thing is I the previous RPA mount I had from chief for my Epson 8700UB doesn't fit it and I have to grab the right ones for this projector. SOOO, if anyone needs them, PM me, and I should have a good AVS friends bargain
Anyways, I'll add more detail later to this post.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Is your construction permitted? If so, does your local code / inspector have any issue with non pressure treated lumber on concrete? (I ask because mine did - in fact, even to the point that PT lumber on the part in contact with concrete wasn't enough for him, had to add a copper based paint to "PT" all the rest of the framing).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yeah, that I know of, there was only an issue with the framing. That had to be PT wood for sure. However, once it was inside the room, nothing else was stated. Go figure. All that said, I also have not had an actual inspector come out and give his judgement on it.

Regarding the size of the riser. Yeah, it looks big only because I haven't put the second riser height on in the back. That's just the bottom framing. I'll be pretty busy this weekend with a birthday party so I may not get anything done on it this weekend.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So, I haven't disappeared. I did end up spending roughly 2 weeks of being sick and trying to go to work at the same time
So, during that time I obviously didn't get much done. But I'm back on my feet and I've been pretty busy trying to catch up and get stuff done. I finally finished the riser which is awesome looking. It's really defining the room now.

So, the first layer was built using 2x8's and then the top riser portion was done using 2x10's. Then it's double layers of 3/4in OSB. So, that brings the rough height at 9 inches for each layer.

Closeup of step lights.

Next is the stage.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The stage is done! Now that's done I've got speaker wiring to do and other random electrical work to finish. Pics and more to follow.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Merry Christmas guys. Sorry for the delay in picture posting. Obviously it's been busy this week. I did do a little bit more. I'm still fussing with speaker wiring. Hopefully I can post something tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Ok, so here is the promised pictures from previous updates and something that I just finished.

Here's the stage framed and filled with sand. I ended up using paver's sand because the play sand wasn't available at the time. Oh and yes I did fill in the front with insulation but I forgot to take a picture.

And finished.

And then I wired up the can lights for the back soffitt area. Can lights will go in maybe just after the new year. I have to finish building the columns first, so that I can finish wiring the speaker jacks for the back and then stuff in the sound absorbing material.

And then for the past two days I've been wiring the front jacks which have room for 2 Subs, Left, Center, Right, High Left, and High Right (the last 2 for the Audyssey EX)

Next up will be finishing the front soffitt.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So, I have been working on the theater. I haven't just been sitting around or heaven forbid working
, j/k. Anyways, I've been concentrating on finishing up the soffit faces so that I can prime and paint it. Quite honestly, it's the most tedious boring part of my build because there's nothing worse than putting 1,2, and 3 coats of mud over the same spot. It's like deja vu. Anyways, I've made some good progress on the soffitts and I am anxious to get it finished!

The back soffit with the facing on and taped and mudded.

Edit: Oh yeah, the projector mount was in place so that I could get a feel for where I needed to leave blank spaces on the ceiling for mounting the anamorphic lenses and the circular filters for the 3D.

For the longest time I've also been trying to find an elbow for the vent that was in the back under the soffit. I ended up just building my own.

Other improvements not immediately noticeable (as most of these things go usually) is the wiring for the soffit sockets, the wall sconces, and the final touches on wiring all the speakers.

So, I also picked up my last (hopefully) needed supplies for the wall treatment. I picked up some OC703 1 and 2". If any of you can find something cheaper I would encourage it because this stuff is just plain expensive. I luckily got a great deal from Greg who had extra and the insulation company had extra panels lying around from another job. They usually have to order the stuff meaning that it would've been anther case which would've cost me another $220
So, find out ahead of time what's available to you in your area. Enough said on that.

Here's a side view of the theater so far.

So, I only have a few more corner beads to install and mud... 3 times, eck, and then I'll be doing a skim coat on the soffit faces for that extra smooth surface. I'll prime and paint it black. Then it's on to some tedious fun stuff instead of tedious and boring. The star ceiling. I bought some StarPak 48 fibers and the Cool Sky Illuminator which is an color LED one. I'll leave those details for later though. So hopefully in just under a week I should be putting up the star ceiling. Stay tuned for more fun updates instead of boring ones like this.

Oh and on a side note, I'll be building my own edge lit glowing poster boxes. I'm still doing more research on finding some good acrylic, but this build will have to wait until after at least speakers being built.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Looking good. I just noticed your columns and how you left them unattached from the ceiling and was going to caulk them. I think I would attach them at the top with a couple of IB3 clips if you want to keep them isolated from the ceiling.

·
Registered
151 Posts
CLEAN AND well thought out!

Ilove the computer MOD I barely use my MOD anymore seeing the blue ray and TV has been catchin up with technology

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampswas /forum/post/21548894

CLEAN AND well thought out!

Ilove the computer MOD I barely use my MOD anymore seeing the blue ray and TV has been catchin up with technology

Thanks. I love your Star Wars theme. I wanted to do something like that but considering that I might not live in this house forever I wanted to at least make it more marketable to another family. So, that dream will be for HT V2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 /forum/post/21536838

Looking good. I just noticed your columns and how you left them unattached from the ceiling and was going to caulk them. I think I would attach them at the top with a couple of IB3 clips if you want to keep them isolated from the ceiling.

That is an option as well but so far results from using enough caulk (the kind that stays rubbery) has proved equally useful. Most of this build is to get the job done with enough detail to the acoustics and sound proofing to make it worth it but not so much as too make it rediculous for the room that I'm using to put this in. Cause there is still an open play area off to my right from the screen. So, I'm doing the most worthwhile additions.

In other news, I finally got some extra insulation and sealed up my dividing wall. I still have to mud the corners and then prime the other side of the wall. But after that I'll put on some Mouse Ears black for the soffit facing and then FINALLY I'm ready for the Star Cieling.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts