AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They were going to use 40 LT150's, but went with the VT540 instead. DELL breathes sigh of relief. http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/News/Access...splayWall.html

Actually, I'd like to look at some of that software as well, when I have time. It can be downloaded

First NCSA telnet, then NCSA Mosaic, now the NCSA DisplayWall. What will those wacky folks think of next...

apg

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
If those geeks ever have a movie night, I want an invitation!

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"If those geeks ever have a movie night, I want an invitation!"

The Slashdotters are mostly a geek/gaming crowd, and would no doubt want to put a 5.1 system on each of the Linux boxes. Let's see- that makes a combined Dolby 200.40 system.

No problem for Illinois; I doubt that California Universal Building Code would allow this in a Quake zone...

apg

·
Registered
122 Posts
I first heard about the NEC VT-540 from this forum, so the people here had something to do with their use in our wall.

[This message has been edited by akhaksho (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Registered
918 Posts
How do you balance the color, brightness, contrast across

all those projectors? Does bulb replace leave one looking

"different"? Bulb replacement, ack, this makes my DILA look

cheap to run. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

JVC G1000 DILA

Stewart Greyhawk

Sony: SAT-B3, DTC-100,STR-DA777ES Receiver

Toshiba: SD-3109 DVD

Proscan 27" TV

B&W: DM601, CC6, DS6B, 800ASW speakers

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
apg,

There already is similar system in California - not too

far from Berkeley - in Livermore.

The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory has a number

of these systems to do scientific visualization for the

Accelerated Strategic Computing Initiative. See:
http://www.llnl.gov/str/Quinn.html

You can see from the picture that the 15 projectors that

drive this display are anchored to racks. After all, the

building that houses this system is only about a mile away

from the Greenville Fault.

Greg

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"There already is similar system in California - not too

far from Berkeley - in Livermore."

Actually, I'm well aware of similar systems, and some intriguing new technology, as in millions of pixels per square _inch_, (You can do more with heavy ions than just implant them...).

No, my reference was a joke, based on the _game_ "Quake", and a possible Dolby 200.40 sound system based out of 40 Linux boxes. Noisy, at a minimum...

My interest in this is professional- I'm slowly working on replacing several thousand indicating lights on a static display with a large projection system, dynamically updating under LabView. Our current system occupies about 350 square feet.

The projection part is trivial, if expensive.

apg

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"How do you balance the color, brightness, contrast across

all those projectors?"

Those are easy- the problem is one of fill. Each projector has to have reasonably flat brightness across it's section. They mention this in their webpages, and they settled on LCD rather than DLP technology. It's not that LCDs are inherently flatter- it's just of the units that they tested, the LCDs were better.

BTW, their original projectors were Epson 7 series; Epson discontinued them, so they went with NEC.

apg

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Props to your team, akhaksho. This topic comes up once every couple of months with HTPCs and DVDs. Not at the 40x scale, to be sure, but definitely at the 2x scale for home theater. Really cool topic.

Alan Gouger's thread of over a year ago

There are some other interesting tidbits contributed by a number of people, including Stephen Orr from ATI in his guest appearance thread. If you have any insights on how this could be done relatively easily with 2 HTPCs/2 digital projectors, it would be very welcome.

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 08-02-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.