AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a living room with light colored walls and light-medium grey blackout blinds covering a lot of the walls, so I was thinking the Slate 0.8 might be a better choice than the Slate 1.2. I will use my JVC NX-5, which isn’t super bright but the screen I will order will be around 102” - so not huge and I’ll have a relatively short throw, around 1.6x or so.

It seems like every Slate owner opted for the 1.2, has anyone gone with the 0.8 and been happy with it?

Solo Pro 2 dropping in front of the fireplace (attached pics)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The best solution is to treat the room with either dark paint or dark fabrics. Any ALR screen will be inferior to a treated room and a white screen.

The Slate 1.2 is less aggressive than the 0.8 and less likely to artifact. However at 1.6x ratio both of these might artifact, especially visible in white/very bright scenes.

A screen that is unlikely to artifact at that throw would be:

Yes. at this throw ratio to get rid of the hotspot would take a dalite parallax/dnp supernova, evp darkstar9.

The DNP 0885 and Parallax .8 are the same materials. The EVP DS9 is very similar but has slightly more texture.

·
Registered
35 Posts
0.8 will fight ambient light better but needs a longer throw and brighter projector. It's better for movies IMO but the 1.2 is better for bright TV like sports.

Also those windows are in the absolute worst spot. ALR screens can't right light from the same direction as the projector.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
0.8 will fight ambient light better but needs a longer throw and brighter projector. It's better for movies IMO but the 1.2 is better for bright TV like sports.

Also those windows are in the absolute worst spot. ALR screens can't right light from the same direction as the projector.
He mentioned blinds, so I assume the setup will be used with the blinds in place.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The best solution is to treat the room with either dark paint or dark fabrics. Any ALR screen will be inferior to a treated room and a white screen.

The Slate 1.2 is less aggressive than the 0.8 and less likely to artifact. However at 1.6x ratio both of these might artifact, especially visible in white/very bright scenes.

A screen that is unlikely to artifact at that throw would be:
I’m looking at the same options as the OP, so can you please discuss “artifact,” and what it will show?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I’m looking at the same options as the OP, so can you please discuss “artifact,” and what it will show?
Visual artifacts will be hotspot :center of the screen brighter than the edges, sparkle like effect in the center of the screen, shimmer like effect also in the center of the screen.

They are most pronounced with a white background. Not sure exactly how much will it manifest with the slate, but should not happen with the recommended.

A more extreme example of hotspot, this post and the ones below it:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/2122202-aeon-elite-screen-cinegrey-3d-9.html#post58809924

And:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/2122202-aeon-elite-screen-cinegrey-3d-10.html#post59134308

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’️m looking at the same options as the OP, so can you please discuss “artifact,â€Â and what it will show?
ALR screens can have visible texture or sparkle. The amount is entirely material dependent and I haven't found it correlates well to ALR rejection ability, but somewhat to price. It will be less visible the further you phsically sit from the screen.

They can also hotspot, darker at the edges, because the light from the PJ is hitting the edges at an angle, but the ALR is designed to reject light from not head on. This gets worse the more aggressively the screen fights ambient light, and can only be countered by using a very large throw ration and having your PJ way back from the screen.

Hotspot won't be affected really by viewing distance, but the same principle will apply to viewing angle of you have seating outside the screen area.

Both affects will be accentuated on bright shots, and hot-spotting may not be visible on real images in real life as much as it is on single colors and especially in the camera.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Visual artifacts will be hotspot :center of the screen brighter than the edges, sparkle like effect in the center of the screen, shimmer like effect also in the center of the screen.
ALR screens can have visible texture or sparkle. The amount is entirely material dependent and I haven't found it correlates well to ALR rejection ability, but somewhat to price. It will be less visible the further you phsically sit from the screen.
Very informative posts, thank you two! I was under the impression that only the 0.8 was ALR, is the 1.2 ALR too?

·
Registered
35 Posts
They are both ALR. The 0.8 is overall darker in black level and white level, and it has a moderately narrower viewing cone. The 0.8 is better for watching dark scenes with lights on and 1.2 better for watching bright TV with lights on. They both will need a pretty long throw.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yes, just brighter.

from what I understand these two charts should be reversed with the higher gain alr material having more of the brightness because its focused into a more narrow viewing area. the lower gain material normally has the widest viewing cone as the light is reflected back more scattered over a broader range (viewing cone) .. ,

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
from what I understand these two charts should be reversed with the higher gain alr material having more of the brightness because its focused into a more narrow viewing area. the lower gain material normally has the widest viewing cone as the light is reflected back more scattered over a broader range (viewing cone) .. ,

I would hav expected the same. Has anyone confirmed these diagrams are accurate for the 1.2 and the 0.8? Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Viewing angle is not related to total gain on axis but relative gain (how bright it is on axis versus the absolute color of the material). Slate 0.8 has lower on axis gain but is also MUCH darker material so it needs more angular gain just to get back to 0.8.

I can confirm from my viewing the 0.8 has worse angular viewing, and from my experience it was even worse than these charts present.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a living room with light colored walls and light-medium grey blackout blinds covering a lot of the walls, so I was thinking the Slate 0.8 might be a better choice than the Slate 1.2. I will use my JVC NX-5, which isn’t super bright but the screen I will order will be around 102” - so not huge and I’ll have a relatively short throw, around 1.6x or so.

It seems like every Slate owner opted for the 1.2, has anyone gone with the 0.8 and been happy with it?

Solo Pro 2 dropping in front of the fireplace (attached pics)

Go with the .8, at 102" dia you are going to have PLENTY of lumens on that screen, in excess of 40ftL I would say in my professional opinion. You are not likely going to repaint your room to a darker color. It will look great. I recall a scenario at the Ferrari dealership in Seattle that did a viewing party in a WELL LIT space, granted they went from a Epson G series PJ to a Z series that threw out a TON of lumens, but when we changed the screen from 1.2 to .8, it was SOOOO much better. The key is that 102" screen, not a 120-130" screen..... The ONLY issue you will have is if you find yourself outside the ideal viewing cone. Those charts are correct and its not like it can;t be see outside the cone, it will just be dimmer. After all, thats how ALR works....

Call the guys at SI, they will help you.

Killer

·
Registered
863 Posts
Definitely call or email SI they will send you some screen samples, it may take a while but be patient. I have a 106” Solo Pro with 0.8 Slate. I’m enjoying my screen. I do notice a graininess to the picture sometimes but I’m not sure if that’s from 4K detail or the ALR screen, since I don’t always see it I think it’s more picture quality.
I do notice some brightness loss when sitting off angle but it’s nothing to cry over. I toiled over the decision of which screen to pick and almost went into analysis paralysis over it.
I think you’ll be just fine with 0.8.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone, I went with the 0.8 slate and it’s being delivered on Tuesday. I can’t wait to set it up and enjoy some projector use while in quarantine!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Thanks everyone, I went with the 0.8 slate and it’s being delivered on Tuesday. I can’t wait to set it up and enjoy some projector use while in quarantine!

Maybe take some pictures, there are others with non dedicated spaces that may be wondering what's feasible in such a room.

·
Registered
863 Posts

Here’s a daytime photo of my Slate 0.8 I have some others but Tapatalk is being dumb right now and only letting me post one. Excuse the messy floor.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts