AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Do you have any problems with rippling or waves? I think I see some in the upper photo in this post..

I do get intermittent ripples along the bottom when I drop it down. You can see then in the first pic. But they are easy to smooth out. Overall I’m satisfied with the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I do get intermittent ripples along the bottom when I drop it down. You can see then in the first pic. But they are easy to smooth out. Overall I’m satisfied with the screen.

I was kind afraid of that. I’m a wheelchair user and I can’t actually get up to/have the finger function to “adjust” it. How often are you having to smooth it out?

I think that I read the Solo Pro 2 is better in this regard, does anybody in this thread have one with the slate screen?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I was kind afraid of that. I’m a wheelchair user and I can’t actually get up to/have the finger function to “adjust” it. How often are you having to smooth it out?

I think that I read the Solo Pro 2 is better in this regard, does anybody in this thread have one with the slate screen?
I'm in a similar boat. I have a Zero-G slate 1.2 and I have wrinkles in the top corners. A few adjustments should fix it, but being stuck in a wheelchair makes it hard to climb up a step stool to adjust it. It's not to terrible so I can live with it till my friend stops by and get him to adjust it.

Now the bug dimples are bugging the heck out of me. When the screen rolls up the bugs don't move, so they get rolled up in the screen. Now I got lines of vertical dimples going up the screen. Got the screen cleaned carefully with a microfiber towel on a extension grabber to reach the dead smushed bugs. The dimples should work themselves out over time, but for now it's hard to look at.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yes my screen is this a Gen 1 Solo Pro. I didn’t know the Gen 2 were that much different other than new motors to handle larger screens. As for smoothing the screen it seems like I have to do it almost every time I deploy the screen but having said that I don’t really deploy screen frequently so maybe that plays a factor in the ripples along the bottom. Also I do remember there was a QC delay on my screen so maybe the ripples were the QC issue.
I think I have noticed a small dimple in my screen while smoothing out the screen along the bottom bar. Bugs as the cause never crossed my mind but I will have to be more mindful of that when I roll up the screen from now on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks everyone for the recommendations, I am super pleased with the 0.8 Slate Solo Pro 2 screen. Installing it myself, during quarantine was a PITA but I got it done with some blood, sweat, and drywall patch kits. My building has steel studs and stud finders are wildly inaccurate at detecting them, I found. The screen is totally watchable during daytime, with my blackout blinds (light leaks between blinds) but it looks awesome at night. I haven’t calibrated the screen or anything but here are a few sample pics of the setup with a 1080p blu-ray of Inherent Vice. When the screen is up, it’s barely noticeable - I just ordered some art to go above the fireplace, beneath the screen. Minor wrinkles after first deploying but they went away after playing with the material near the weight bar. The viewing angles are great for my small living room, I love the experience of a home theater - even if it’s full of compromises to fit in a tower downtown, where aesthetics were really important to me.

Super impressed by Screen Innovations - would order again, no question. I had great experience with Seymour as well, I guess we’re fortunate to have such great screen companies around. Some wrinkles can be seen in the shots, but the one above shows them removed. Also, light sneaking in from the floor to ceiling windows (with metal frames) sometimes makes it look like there are wrinkles in daytime but it’s just shadows I’ve found. I tried to go with Screen Innovations for motorized blinds but found their recommended local dealer so annoying I opted for The Shade Store instead, it’s too bad because Screen Innovations would have been awesome. I ordered the screen from a different SI dealer locally that was great - no games, no pushing bull**** $300 HDMI cables, etc. - just a straight up deal. I’m really happy, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
863 Posts
I’m glad it worked out for you. Hopefully you didn’t have to wait too long for your screen. When I was shopping for mine I dug up all the info I could. I even found a price for all the SI screens so I knew what I should be charged, no up charges for me either.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Skibbs, thanks so much for posting those pictures. Can you show some pictures or maybe even a video of the screen during the day? I am on the fence with pulling the trigger on a Screen Innovations Black Diamond projector w/ an Epson 5050UB, but I'm nervous that the picture won't be good during the day.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Skibbs, thanks so much for posting those pictures. Can you show some pictures or maybe even a video of the screen during the day? I am on the fence with pulling the trigger on a Screen Innovations Black Diamond projector w/ an Epson 5050UB, but I'm nervous that the picture won't be good during the day.
It does not matter what screen you have, the image will always be washed out. Dark parts will be washed out more. This is why I made different scenarios of lightning with different types of projected images:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/2122202-aeon-elite-screen-cinegrey-3d-9.html#post58809924

Different screens have different rates of light rejection, from the sides, top bottom, so it depends where the light in your setup is coming from:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/ambient-light-rejection-screens-2.htm?remove_compare_list=10296&article_id=1493

There is a limit on how much ambient light they can effectively fight before are overwhelmed.

However with angular ALRs light must never come from the same direction as the projector.

The picture in your thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2731526&d=1590270737) seems to have some light from above and the right window? Can the lights near the screen be turned off? Also consider that room treatment will also help with ambient light since less of it will be reflected on the screen.

It's best to keep light away from the screen. So if you want to have light in the room, best to keep in the seating area.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Noob000204 said it best, the picture degrades in a room with more light. I live in a tower, facing SE, with floor to ceiling windows - basically the worst conditions for morning-afternoon viewing. Without blinds, I think it would be unwatchable. I installed blackout blinds on all windows, but even then there is a gap between blinds (they cannot make motorized blinds all that wide) that allows a LOT of light into the room. I’ll attach pics of what the image looks like, on a sunny Sunday @ 1 PM in Seattle with the blinds closed. The room is naturally well-lit, with blinds closed, but I’m still thoroughly enjoying the new Criterion blu-ray release of The Grand Budapest Hotel.

At night, I find the image seriously impressive with the Slate 0.8 and the JVC NX-5, I prefer the 104” screen to my 65” LG C7 OLED because size matters more than image quality, after you hit decent image quality. I haven’t even tried 4K content yet, I have just watched 1080p blu-rays so far: Inherent Vice, Criterion: Funny Games (1997), Criterion: The Grand Budapest Hotel, etc. I do find that I prefer to watch TV on my 65” OLED during the day and save movies for the evening to use the projector. So, if you have somewhat effective window coverings you’ll probably be happy with the Slate 0.8, but I wouldn’t recommend any projector for a room without window coverings. Next up, Parasite on a 4K disc - that I’ll watch at night on the projector, it would be kind of a waste to watch it with a projector when you have a lot of ambient light - it’s such a beautiful film.

My walls and ceiling are painted a light off-white color, I have a large white marble coffee table in front of the screen, white baseboard trim, light grey blackout shades, white sheer curtains between rooms, etc. - basically everything you shouldn’t do for optimal image quality with a projector. I’m still super pleased with the Slate 0.8 at night and very satisfied with it during the day (with blinds closed).

You can geek out on this all you want, just like audio setups, you just have to figure out what will make you happy. For me, I just want very good image quality and a cinema experience while I watch nice transfers of mostly 1080p content. I even switched from a 7.2 audio setup to a 2.1 (testing 3.1) setup, just to reduce all the home theater gear I have in my relatively small condo. I honestly don’t enjoy content less with just 2.1, so YMMV depending on what you prioritize. Aesthetics are more important to me than home theater ATM, so I’m geeking out more on interior design and just enjoying home theater these days.

If I was you, I would go for it - assuming you have window coverings. Please decide for yourself though, it’s a big expense and you have to set your expectations accordingly. No projector/screen setup will look good with a ton of light, no matter the price.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just to prove the point, this is what the screen image looks like with all the blinds open in the living room and adjacent room - unwatchable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Also, I took shots of a Wes Anderson film, just because I happened to be watching it, but he uses weird color palettes so the colors might look off - but in some cases, it’s due to his personal style. It looks totally fine IRL to me. I’m not an extreme videophile but I’ve spent about 10 years total building (software engineer) well-known gaming and video devices and apps a lot of folks in this forum probably use - so the value of my opinion probably lies somewhere in between “I buy $300 3’ HDMI cables for picture quality because the salesman told me it would help” and “I have a dedicated home theater and dropped six figures on it, after spending 3 years extensively researching it. I flew in a calibrator from Japan to ensure optimal picture quality.”

·
Registered
242 Posts
@skibbs,

Thanks so much for the detail. Just yesterday I bit the bullet, and I'm going with a 115" black diamond screen and an Epson 5050UB projector. I'm pretty excited. Your room is interesting to see. Beautiful place BTW. My living room is not nearly as "bad" (or at least bad for a projector). There is very little light that comes in directly behind where the projector will be - it's almost purely fireplace. There's one small window that basically faces the wall of my property - so very little light. Then where the screen is, it's a dark gray wall. The wall to the left is just a wall, and to the right, I have lots of windows, but they have plantation shutters, and also it's not facing sunset / sunrise. So yeah... We'll see, but overall, I'm pumped! Went w/ the Zero Edge Pro.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I completely missed your update, it looks great! All the different variations of light exposure really, really helped me as well!

Minor wrinkles after first deploying but they went away after playing with the material near the weight bar......Some wrinkles can be seen in the shots, but the one above shows them removed.
Now that you’ve had it for a little while, can you tell me if the wrinkles have come back at any point and if so, how often? All of my other questions were answered, really informative posts, thank you! :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I completely missed your update, it looks great! All the different variations of light exposure really, really helped me as well!

Now that you’ve had it for a little while, can you tell me if the wrinkles have come back at any point and if so, how often? All of my other questions were answered, really informative posts, thank you! :)

Thanks! I haven’t had any issues with wrinkles since I did a minor manual adjustment to the screen (per SI instructions) after installing it.

I’ve been self-quarantining since Feb but just had my parents visit (1st visitors since Feb!) and we watched Palm Springs on Hulu at about 2 PM (bright, sunny day) and they both commented on how great the PQ was - they aren’t videophiles or anything, but they found it impressive enough to say something, to give you another data point.

Wrinkles have not been a problem for me so far I have been impressed with SI’s build quality and tech - it’s all integrated with my Logitech Harmony setup and Amazon Alexa. SI makes a legit great quality, American-made product. I just wish I had bought my motorized blinds from them too, instead I went with The Shade Store and their tech and build quality sucks compared to SI.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
So, How does the SI compare to Black Diamond or the Elite Screens 5D ALR? I too and looking fir a retractable ALR screen. This one here does look pretty great!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So, How does the SI compare to Black Diamond or the Elite Screens 5D ALR? I too and looking fir a retractable ALR screen. This one here does look pretty great!

Sorry, I don’t have any experience with those screens. In my previous house, I had a Seymour Matinee Black fixed screen and I thought it was fantastic - Seymour is a great company and makes a great product.

When I was looking for retractable ALR screens, I was limited by horizontal width (as you can see in the photos) and SI’s product was slimmer than other brands, sometimes significantly so. SI’s Solo Pro 2 w/ Slate 0.8 was pricey, but it was the best combination of features for my specific setup. If you have more horizontal space to play with, you have more options available. That being said, I have zero regrets going with SI - their product is high quality and merits a high price. Also, I’m a geek and I work on entertainment apps as a day job and I really appreciated SI’s emphasis on tech engineering (check out their videos), the fact that it’s made in Austin, etc. so I was happy to pay more for it. I was also worried about the quality control issues with Elite, I live downtown, in a city of 800k-ish, and returning a giant screen would be a PITA. The SI screen arrived extremely well packaged and I was able to install it myself and set it up with Logitech Harmony, Amazon Alexa, etc. while quarantined. I dunno how an Elite screen would work with smart home setups (seems like a cheap Chinese product), this was important to me but may not be as important to you. I dunno, I also liked supporting an American company during these tough times. I’m a software engineer and SI employs engineers in America - that’s important to me. Being able to enjoy the screen while quarantining has been great, I appreciate SI’s ability to manufacture screens during this pandemic and hope their staff has remained healthy. I caught Covid-19 and it suuuuuuucked, I am thankful that I can now watch movies on a reliable SI screen because it looks like I might be WFH permanently - at least 6+ months more for sure. I dunno an SI screen and alcohol have been the most effective means of dealing with all this isolation, so I might be biased.

The biggest bang for your buck will probably be in reducing the amount of light in the room, ALR materials can only do so much.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Also, if you want any more pictures of different setups just let me know - I’ve got a ton of free time these days

BTW, for other folks in the thread, I ended up settling on a 2.1 audio setup, I just crank the volume if the dialog is hard to hear. It looks nicer without a speaker in front of the fireplace and my neighbors only live here part-time, they have houses in the suburbs as well, so their units are usually empty. I did have to turn the sub down because someone on another floor complained though

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Another cool thing I wanted that only SI offered was reverse roll orientation - which gave me about 3” of space to display art and whatnot behind the screen.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also, if you want any more pictures of different setups just let me know - I’ve got a ton of free time these days
I will take you up on that offer, lol. Where did you mount the projector? I have a very modern space as well and projectors have gotten so darn big since my last projector (Mitsubishi HC5500)! I’m also planning on taking advantage of the reverse roll, for your exact reason, I have great artwork that I want to put up where my current big TV is on the wall of the living room. I’m tired of looking at the giant black rectangle taking up valuable wall space!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts