AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleuths: Whose glass is in the Planar 42"?

6K views 96 replies 21 participants last post by  rogo 
#1 ·
Screen Size 42 inch (106 cm)

Aspect Ratio: Wide Screen 16:9

Outer Dimension (w/o stand) 1048 x 649 x 81 mm (WxHxD)

Display Area 920.1 x 518.4 mm (WxH)

Native Resolution 852 x 480 pixels (Wide VGA)

Cell Pitch .36(H) x 1.08(V) mm

Number of Colors 16.77 million (256 level)

Brightness 570 cd/m2 (Typical w/o filter)

Contrast Ratio 600:1 (Typical w/o filter)

Power Consumption 340W (typical)

View Angle Over 160 degrees

Weight 33 Kg (w/o stand)

Signal Input Mode Composite-Video Input

S-Video Input

Component-Video Input

RGB Signal Input (DVI-I w. analog adapte

See less See more
#3 ·
But which Samsung is it? I could not figure it out.

It is definitely the same as the Cornea.

Do you think it's worth buying for $2250?

#5 ·
Yes, Bruce, you have to be right. There are things about the way the specs are recorded that strongly suggest this is the very same display.

I guess we'll have to find out if it's any good and whether it's worth the number of yards in a mile + 10 years worth of the number of gifts a certain famous Christmas song provides - a gross or so

Mark

#7 ·
I don't know where to purchase one, but there is a large PC maker based in Texas who apparently has been known to sell plasma displays through their web site and some people find them to be a good place to buy. The CEO is a guy named Mike.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
RGB Signal Input (DVI-I w. analog adapte
Many of us with front projectors have found that the new Bravo D1 DVD player with DVI output gives us a big step in image quality. I found that DVDs look much better to me through it on my HT1000 than TheaterTek and way better than my RP82. However, I had a Sharp M20x that didn't support DVI-D input very well and the D1 didn't look better than the RP82 to me. If someone buys this plasma it would be interesting to see how the all digital path from the D1 (or the upcoming Samsung DVI DVD player) at 480p would look. I assume this plasma supports the DVI-D signal over the DVI-I connector, but the way their specs are written doesn't make it obvious to me that this is true.

If they offer the 20% discount in their home section where I wouldn't pay 9% sales tax, I might not be able to pass it up. There is a nice spot in my master bedroom where a 42" plasma would fit perfectly. I'll probably try my HT1000 with a small screen there before I decide, though.

--Darin

#22 ·
I just ordered one and we'll see how it looks. Looks like the planar might be a panasonic screen or some version of it.

The only info i could dig up was this

http://www.theclockmag.com/september...ma_battles.htm

"Plasmaco was founded in upstate NY, by Larry Weber with 2 colleagues (James Kehoe was one) based on U. of I. inventions, with financial support from DARPA and the State of NY and investments from companies like Planar. After great financial turmoil as b/w plasmas gave way to color, Plasmaco was rescued by Matsushita, who has used it as an R/D lab for PDPs. "

#23 ·
It sure seems to be LG's glass (or whoever supplies them).

As for a DVI-based DVD player, I would be interested enough in the Samsung to try to make that test happen when the Samsung ships.

Good to see you hear in plasma-land, Darin.

Mark

#24 ·
Can't answer the OP's question on the glass, Planar refused to answer my inquiry, too. But...

I also believe Brucer guessed right with LG. My business picked this Planar up a few months ago for a special presentation project. It is being "stored" in my family room - right next to the PC, home theater sound system and Dish HD STB

Physical dimensions, general specs and inputs are very close to the current LG 42" Flatrons. Some of the pages in the manual look identical to the .pdf manual on LG's site. the Major differences:

1) DVI-I in place of VGA input

2) Doesn't appear to have the Faroudja electronics.

With very limited viewing time, I can't make a lot of valid comments on the PQ. However, I have noticed a fair ammount of coloration artifacts (moving blotches of color, the boss calls them) on SD satellite feed through composite inputs. S-video SD material shows some jaggies when using partial zoom to stretch 4:3 to fill the screen. Downconverted HD material looks good, not great (bias toward my Mits RPTV, I'm sure). DVD's are excellent, either through component or composite. I'll be experimenting with the PC / DVI next week.

LG Flatron model

Spec sheet from manual attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.