AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a project that I had originally planned about four years ago and just in the last few weeks actually started. My original idea was to build media racks that slid into the wall on rails. Similar in design to a slide-out pantry but holding DVDs and such instead of the morning cereal. I poked around but couldn't find much on AVS about this design (although I'm sure someone has done it before) so I made it up as I went along.

I wanted something that would match my existing racks look (Mid-Atl AXS) but would slide out with minimal fuss. Since I needed a custom-sized solution I chose manufactured rack corners and used aluminum to build the frame and shelves. I added index followers (spring-tensioned bracket that moves on a rail) to keep the discs snug in the shelves.

Fun project and I'm generally pleased with the outcome. Let me know what you think!

joe

Fabricaton

Shelf detail

All shelves (finally) done

Done and done

View of the racks in their alcove

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by McLardAss
Just finished a project that I had originally planned about four years ago and just in the last few weeks actually started. My original idea was to build media racks that slid into the wall on rails. Similar in design to a slide-out pantry but holding DVDs and such instead of the morning cereal. I poked around but couldn't find much on AVS about this design (although I'm sure someone has done it before) so I made it up as I went along.
Very nice! A couple of questions:

1) Did you make those shelves yourself, or have someone fabricate them? They look too straight to be the work of one man with too much time and a pair of tin snips. :)

edit: nevermind - I went to your website, and I see how you did it now. Clever. With your completed pics, I thought it was a complete shelf rather than individual aluminum panels screwed together.

2) Where did you get those index followers? They blend right in and look very professional.

edit: ditto, your website answers this also.

3) What was the cost of this project?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ego soothing.. it makes the scrapes and cuts worth it

Chris: I originally set my budget at $250.. then $500.. then, thanks to the index followers ($20/ea x 16 shelves) and AccuRide rails ($100/ea x 2) I ended up close to $1000 for both racks. A little more than my wife can accept but not enough to put me in the doghouse :)

joe

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Is your equipment rack also "racked" on similar shelving/hardware ?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Joe,

Those shelves are fantastic! Easily one of the nicest projects I've seen.

Would you care to share a plan or materials list for those of us whom you have inspired? These shelves would have a very high WAF in my theater!

Quick unrelated question:

I see you have an Xbox in your rack. Do you use wireless controllers, or do you just plug them in with long cords when you want to use them?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks for the great replies! It's rewarding seeing my little DIY project encourage others. I think you're nuts, but it's still rewarding :)

This is long and boring, sorry, but I wanted to provide maximum details.

First, the good news and the bad news. For those who've requested them I'm posting additional pics linked below as well links to the major parts purchased online. The bad news, I have no plans beyond a crude sketch and, most importantly, this was a lot of work. Without heavy cutting equipment to build the racks completely out of steel, and no Monster Garage welding abilities, the project was labor intensive. But, since you want to know, here are the basic steps and parts (hope Dave/Alan don't mind the links):

The rack corners are manufactured by Penn Fabrications and are available here . They're full-height rails measuring 78 3/4" (45U) and they fit just right in my alcove. No reason you couldn't do a half-height or similar though.

For structural integrity I used 2" x 1/8" aluminum strips at the top and bottom to build a box frame. . Using a metal-cutting blade in a compound miter saw I chopped aluminum angle brackets to size. The "back" and short sides (facing the opened rack) are 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 1/16" thick while the front lip is 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/16". I then measured everything against the Penn rack rails, set up a jig template, and drilled about a thousand holes in all the pieces.Everything was painted with Rust-Oleum glossy-black spray paint.

Once the frame was built I measured out the placement for the 28" AccuRide rails and screwed down 2 1/4" x 1 1/2" perforated steel angle brackets. I attached the AccuRide's to the 2" aluminum strips (also drilled in the appropriate places) and mounted the frames into the wall .

The individual shelves are kludgey having again been made up on the spot. They're comprised of 1/4" poplar cut on a table saw to fit (in my case 2 1/4" wide each and 24" long), primed twice and finished with glossy black. I thought about using 2" aluminum strips for shelving but they were ten times as expensive as the wood. I then removed 4" in width from the index followers with a metal cutting blade so they would fit properly on the shelves. The wood was attached to the angle brackets with epoxy while the index followers were attached with JB Weld. Better craftsmanship would have been to router out a solid shelf and place the follower in the channel.

Overall dimensions for each unit is 7" wide x 24" deep x 79" tall. Obviously, you can cut everything to whatever size works for you.

Okay, even I'm bored with the project now :p

To answer the posted questions:

AFryia: No, the equipment rack is a stock Mid-Atlantic AXS rack. It was the inspiration to build the media racks.

Tedd: Hope I answered the questions in your PM. Good luck!

MBK: Good luck as well! As far as the Xbox I use extension cables. I also have a Game Cube (that fits nicely on one of the media rack's shelves) that I use a wireless Wave Bird with (works great).

Use safety goggles and have fun!

joe

·
Registered
392 Posts
Wow! Those racks are awesome! I've got the Mid Atlantic slide out racks, but no room near them to do this - otherwise I'd be all over it! Nicely done!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.