Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently remodeling basement, where my HT has been allocated about

1/3 of the total space by my wife. Not at all displeased by the size of the space, but it is basically tucked to the short end of a rectangular space,

that we don't wish to seal off with new interior fixed walls.

Does anyone have any experience with installation of sliding doors (I was thinking 3 four foot panels) that could tuck away when HT not in use.

My idea basically comes from the sliding doors that one sees at hotel

conference rooms where they use them to divide up huge rooms in to

smaller modular sizes appropriate at the time.

I understand that this would be sub-optimal, but life is full of compromises.

When I serached this forum I found reference to someone who used Hunter Douglas Vertiglide shades instead of french doors, but I would think that they would have no value from a sound/acoustical perspective, although they could be used to block light.

thanks for any ideas

tor

·
Registered
14 Posts
tor - have you considered pocket doors? We currently live in a house built in 1915 so we have the really cool old ones, but I do know that a co-worker had pocket doors built into his basement HT last year. He did this to divide the play area for his kids and his theater. When they want to watch a movie, the doors go shut. When they want to watch football on a Sunday afternoon while their kids play, they open up the doors.

I really don't know how expensive they are, but from a convenience standpoint, they're awesome. They just slide right back into the walls.

Matt

·
Registered
275 Posts
The only problem with pocket doors is that they will leak sound like crazy. The pockets make the walls act like echo chambers when the doors are closed. Of course, not everyone is worried about that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They will be pocket doors in a way. I have planned to be able to slide the 3 four foot panels back in to a recessed enclosure. Big question is material(s) and supplier(s). Conventional wood pocket doors would be far to reflective inside the theatre, and unlikely to provide any kind of decent barrier to the outside. Any blind system would also not likely be of any acoustic value. Which is why I come back to the stuff they have in hotels and convention centers. Thier application is functionally equivalent. They are usually solid, but covered with some kind of fabric. They are intended to isolate rooms from each other. I just don't know where to get them and would be very interested in hearing if someone else had tried to do something similar.

thanks for your quick responses and ideas

tor

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ah.. I see what you mean. Yes, those would work nicely.

I personally used some very heavy velour cloth to make drapes over the entrance to my theater. My goal wasn't to totally soundproof the room, but to at least keep the noise from travelling up to my second story bedroom. But I was suprised at what a good job the fabric does of stifling the noise. Now I'm glad I didn't atttempt to put in the double-doors I had planned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.