AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just re-watched " Sliding Doors " - Made in 1998 starring the then 26 year old 'Gwyneth Paltrow' it's a wonderfully delightful drama romance - "Helen Quilley works in PR for a big London company...at least, for the first five minutes of the film. After she is sacked for taking some of the boss's Smirnoff, she heads back down to the Underground to catch the train to take her back to her flat. But as she runs down, we suddenly see her life split off. In one version, she catches the train and in the second, she misses it. Throughout the rest of the film we see what would have happened in each scenario. Her whole life changes in that split second."
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) When she catches the train, she meets a charming man called James and gets home to find her boyfriend Gerry in bed with another woman. When she misses it, she ends up getting mugged before landing a crummy waitress job.
Written by Michael - IMDB

Tagline: There are two sides to every story. Helen is about to live both of them ...at the same time. Romance was never this much fun.

If you have not seen this movie you owe it to yourself to rent or buy it. Pop some popcorn then seatle down to spend an enjoyable 99 minutes watching Gywneth in one of her best performances ever; not to mention the outstanding screenplay and great supporting cast. This is one of those forgotten gems, one of those wonderful films which occasionally come along but unfortuneately remain under the radar for most.

This is probably the 10th time I've seen this movie and it's still as enjoyable as it was the first time.

Highly Recommended!

IMDB User Rating: 6.8/10 (19,269 votes)

63% on RT's T-Critics -Reviews Counted: 48 Fresh: 30 Rotten:18 Average Rating: 6.3/10

27% on RT's Cream of the Crop - Reviews Counted: 11 Fresh: 3 Rotten:8 Average Rating: 5.8/10

76% RT's Community - Reviews Counted: 182 Fresh: 140 Rotten: 42 Average Rating: 6.4/10

RT Consensus: Despite the gimmicky feel of the split narratives, the movie is watch-able due to the winning performances by the cast.

Not the first time that I've felt Rotten Tomatoe was completely off base with their rating (at least the RT Community is more in line).

Awards:6 wins & 2 nominations:

BAFTA Awards

1999 Nominated Alexander Korda Award for Best British Film

Sydney Pollack

Philippa Braithwaite

William Horberg

Peter Howitt

Empire Awards, UK

1999 Won Empire Award Best British Director

Peter Howitt

European Film Awards

1998 Won European Film Award Best Screenwriter

Peter Howitt

Florida Film Critics Circle Awards

1999 Won FFCC Award Best Actress

Gwyneth Paltrow

Also for Shakespeare in Love unfortunately(1998).

Russian Guild of Film Critics

1998 Won Golden Aries Best Foreign Actress

Gwyneth Paltrow

San Diego Film Critics Society Awards

1998 Won SDFCS Award Best Screenplay, Original

Peter Howitt

Special Award

Gwyneth Paltrow

Also for Shakespeare in Love (1998).

For consistent acting excellence.

San Sebastián International Film Festival

1998 Nominated Golden Seashell

Peter Howitt

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Saw this at the now second worse cinema in Bournemouth the ABC Westover Road, screen 1 when it opened on its first, week in Dolby SR-D. I only cared about the sound from the JBL 4675-A that sounded PANTS on this film not much bass, thou it could be the mix.

The surrounds are unknown and where buggered up by the chief Muppet donkey projectionist, on that site Darren Payne, who keeps turning up the fader to the breaking point where the subs where also done in, on Event Horizon only several months before, I think 1998 was the first year that the ABC had the Dolby DA-20 installed.

‘Sliding Doors’ would have been pucker if Muppets like Darren Payne, weren’t let lose in the projection booth.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
IIRC, back during the time of the theatrical release this film was dissed a bit.

Now that I think about it, that was right around the time when everyone was in the "Hate All Things Gwyneth Phase."

Well, you talked me into watching this, Airboss.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
I remember thinking this was going to be a romance or comedy or something, and was very pleasantly surprised how cool the movie was. In ways, it was like Run Lola Run, where you got to see how different choices affected her life.

Now you have me itching to watch it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.