AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a sony kd-34xbr2 at a sony outlet store. Ser#8000662. Everything is fine except for a slight bowing on the bottom when checked it with Avia dvd. Can anyone help me correct this problem

·
Registered
286 Posts
I haven't used the Avia disk on mine but I notice no bowing issues. Is it noticable while watching a regular picture? If so the TV has on-site service. Check your local dealer for service info and hope you can get a tech who know how to make adjustments. I had several minor problems with my first two sets, but my dealer arranged replacements on their dime. Love the set now. serial 80002000. Note the high serial number...

Proufo; the Sony has alot going for it. Great picture, multiple inputs, Optical out and in, OTA tuner built in, great menu, 3:2 pulldown, 420p, 720p, 1080i, (some discussion about the 720p but it looks good to me), and to my eyes it had a smoother image than the Panny and a flat screen unlike the RCA. Also the newest design for a front view. I have no regrets!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Originally posted by proufo:

Hello.

Can't provide any help regarding the bowing. Hope you are able to fix it.

I wonder why you chose this Sony instead of the Panny or even the RCA 38, specially considering the huge price difference.

I bought the sony kd-34xbr2 because the sony outlet store in Kenosha Wi. was selling it for $2800

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the prior version, the KW34HD1. It too has a slight upward bowing of the picture. You'd never notice it in regular viewing but the stock market ticker does go up then down.

I have had the set calibrated, plus I have the service manual. I went into service mode and remedied the problems introduced by the ISF calibration (more on that subject another day). So I am familiar with the many geometry adjustments available. But there is no adjustment for the bowing. At least none described in the service manual. If anyone has found such an adjustment let me know.

As to price, the Sony is cheaper than the Panasonic and overall at least equal in performance, if not better. The RCA had some reliability issues but maybe those are okay now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ouch! Considering the cost is most likely higher than what you paid.... Out of curiosity what is the serial #..

·
Registered
Sony XBR-48A9S • Yamaha RX-V4A • Klipsch Heresy IV, RP-600C & RP-600M • Apple TV
38 Posts
kubus,

I have the service manual for the KD-34XBR2 and here is what it says re adjustment of horizontal bowing:

Set display to NTSC FULL.

Set display mode to Standard & press Reset to set the Standard settings to factory defaults.

Set Tilt correction and Vertical correction to zero.

Display a cross-hatch pattern.

Adjust 2150D-1 item 5 [VCEN] to make the bowing of the top and bottom lines equal.

Adjust 2150D-1 item 6 [VPIN] to make the horizontal lines straight.

Set display to NTSC NORMAL.

Adjust 2150D-1 item 6 [VPIN] to make the horizontal lines straight.

The manual states that all settings except for VPIN are shared between FULL and NORMAL modes.

Hope this helps.

John Purins

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact definition of "bowing" - but I noticed at first that stock tickers were slightly more "cut off" at the bottom-left/bottom-right corners of the screen than in the center. At first I was concerned by this, but then when I switched the screen through its other modes like NORMAL or FULL it went away. So I assumed this was just a (possibly intentional) effect of the anamorphic squeeze that happens with the WIDE ZOOM mode. That's the only mode I see this on and its pretty slight.

If someone else has a set where WIDE ZOOM doesn't do this a bit, let me know - maybe I should get some service. But since the geometry in all other modes is spot-on, I didn't think it was a 'bug' really.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wide zoom looks strange to me in most cases. I use zoom.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
could as simple as magnetic latch on stand causing deflection of the image. 31"+ screens are highly susceptable to even tiny magnetic feilds.

·
Registered
286 Posts
No. I have heard of it being bought as low as 2800... retail 4000. At 6K I would have started to look at Plasma Displays. My next step, but you have to draw the line somewhere!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ya. 42" or so. I guess you think bigger than me...

·
Registered
Sony XBR-48A9S • Yamaha RX-V4A • Klipsch Heresy IV, RP-600C & RP-600M • Apple TV
38 Posts
Quote:
kubus wrote on 10-14-2001 10:05 PM:

I tried your suggestion for fixing the the slight bowing on my kd-34xbr2. I adjusted the vcen and vpin in the service menu. It worked perfectly. Thank You very much to my request:) :) :) :) :)
Kubus,

Thanks for the private message... I'm glad it worked. I posted it here so others can benefit from it.

John Purins

·
Registered
292 Posts
John--after reading your post on adjusting the KD34XBR2, I checked my service manual for the KW34HD1. It also has the VCEN adjustment. It is not as well documented as other adjustments but there it is. I used it with VPIN and it worked out just fine. No more bowing. Thanks. Overall geometry is now near perfect.

What a great forum. People helping people and all that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.