AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not audio related but since there are so many darn scams floating around and I am usually very vigilant about this... but whoops, I just got taken for a ride...

So there was a knock on my door this afternoon and there was a clean cut college aged kid at my door. He said he was selling magazines to help send him to Europe as part of his journalism degree and do an internship with the BBC. He told me that his parents lived up the street (got the street name correct) and then told me that I might know them because they have a beagle they always walk.

Now, what sort of made me let my guard down was the fact that I do have a neighbor from a few blocks away (didn't know their name) that would walk a beagle. I would always talk to the gentleman while I was doing yardwork in the front of my house so somehow I connected him with this cleancut kid.

Anyhow, I wrote a check for about $50 and handed it to him. He then filled out some paperwork and was about to give it to me and told me that the magazines would go to charity. He was such a fast talker that it was actually rather hard to keep up but the charity stuff took me aback. It got a little odd so I asked for my check back... which he proceeded to do. He looked a bit disappointed and made some comment how this was just strange.

I saw him walk across the street to my neighbors and ring their doorbell. I didn't see him go in so I thought he walked away. A few minutes later, I thought I would drop by their house to see if they knew the kid. I rang the bell and the kid was inside. I asked the neighbor if he was going to buy the magazines and he said he was going to give the kid some money. He then asked me if he should send the kid back. At this point, between the beagle, my neighbor also trusting the kid, and my guilt... I told him to send him back over.

A few minutes later, a knock on the door... I wrote the kid a check and he gave me some receipts. After he left, the entire thing seemed still so strange that I searched google for the info on the receipt. Sure enough, it came up as a door-to-door magazine scam.

So here is the sort of fun part. I live in a relatively small wealthy suburb where the police are ready to pull you over for a 1 mph speeding violation. I called the police station and told them what went on just a few minutes prior. Apparently, someone else called in as well thinking it was a little fishy. A few moments later, the cops busted them trying to leave the area. The cops called back asking if I wanted to head over there but I really didn't want to get involved for the $50 I just got taken for (my wife got nervous about the entire thing).

Reflecting back on it, I should have gone over and gotten my money back and the little form with my name on it when the police had them. After reading up on the scam, I think that I want to protect my credit and bank account just in case...

Its amazing just how you can get tricked(I am usually very paranoid of these sorts of things in the first place and close the door on just about everyone)... I gotta tell you, it was the damn beagle... why couldn't the kid have picked a dog I had never seen.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Dont feel bad. I got taken for $500 dollars. Long story short I payed someone online for some long tube headers and I never got em. Lets just say lesson learned and Im much more careful now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
So there was a knock on my door this afternoon and there was a clean cut college aged kid at my door. He said he was selling magazines to help send him to Europe as part of his journalism degree and do an internship with the BBC. He told me that his parents lived up the street (got the street name correct) and then told me that I might know them because they have a beagle they always walk.
It's happened to me too, but I didn't get fool. I told him get lost, the couple lived up the street never have any kid, they are my cousin lol...I has good laugh at him.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_29
Not audio related but since there are so many darn scams floating around and I am usually very vigilant about this... but whoops, I just got taken for a ride...

Now, what sort of made me let my guard down was the fact that I do have a neighbor from a few blocks away (didn't know their name) that would walk a beagle. I would always talk to the gentleman while I was doing yardwork in the front of my house so somehow I connected him with this cleancut kid.

Anyhow, I wrote a check for about $50 and handed it to him. He then filled out some paperwork and was about to give it to me and told me that the magazines would go to charity. He was such a fast talker that it was actually rather hard to keep up but the charity stuff took me aback. It got a little odd so I asked for my check back... which he proceeded to do. He looked a bit disappointed and made some comment how this was just strange.

I saw him walk across the street to my neighbors and ring their doorbell. I didn't see him go in so I thought he walked away. A few minutes later, I thought I would drop by their house to see if they knew the kid. I rang the bell and the kid was inside. I asked the neighbor if he was going to buy the magazines and he said he was going to give the kid some money. He then asked me if he should send the kid back. At this point, between the beagle, my neighbor also trusting the kid, and my guilt... I told him to send him back over.

A few minutes later, a knock on the door... I wrote the kid a check and he gave me some receipts. After he left, the entire thing seemed still so strange that I searched google for the info on the receipt. Sure enough, it came up as a door-to-door magazine scam.

So here is the sort of fun part. I live in a relatively small wealthy suburb where the police are ready to pull you over for a 1 mph speeding violation. I called the police station and told them what went on just a few minutes prior. Apparently, someone else called in as well thinking it was a little fishy. A few moments later, the cops busted them trying to leave the area. The cops called back asking if I wanted to head over there but I really didn't want to get involved for the $50 I just got taken for (my wife got nervous about the entire thing).

Reflecting back on it, I should have gone over and gotten my money back and the little form with my name on it when the police had them. After reading up on the scam, I think that I want to protect my credit and bank account just in case...

Its amazing just how you can get tricked(I am usually very paranoid of these sorts of things in the first place and close the door on just about everyone)... I gotta tell you, it was the damn beagle... why couldn't the kid have picked a dog I had never seen.
Wow this is so strange. I had a very similar thing happen to me in my neighborhood. This college kid was seemingly honest, very charming, and was selling "children's books"! He even had some example books inside his little backpack that he carried. I told him to come back on Saturday when he could talk to my wife also. He never returned. I am glad because after reading this, it makes me very skeptical. The thing is he really pulled off the inocent college boy thing wonderfully! He was of spanish decent and he was wearing a Florida State visor and one of those Florida State laynard things around his neck.

·
Registered
308 Posts
This could happen to anybody....

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacv75
This could happen to anybody....
Yup... it could... I am usually the one warning everyone about the newest scam going around the Internet...

If it were white van speakers for $50, I actually would have been happy... could have thrown em in the basement while working in the shop

·
Registered
476 Posts
Put a 'stop payment' on the check.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
It seems like the magazine folks are hitting the streets this time of year.

Last weekend, I was installing brakes on my car in the driveway. A girl appeared, introduced herself and sat down on my driveway where I was working. She briefly talked about her goals, to purchase a gym some day, etc. I then cut to the chase and asked her what she was promoting. Sure enough, the magazine flyers came out of her back pocket. A little more discussion revealed she knew quite a bit about cars from hanging around her father. I then asked her if she lived in my community, and she responded "Florida". Well, WTF, Florida is only 700 miles away. I then kindly told her "no thanks". She then indicated I could buy some subscriptions and have the magazines sent to a hospital. Again, said "no thanks" and she left.

By this time, it was starting to get dark. She was going down the street and still working the neighborhood. Now, I'm a father with a daughter. What disturbed me more than her selling magazines, was:

- That her parents couldn't see through the scam.

- The girl only appeared to be about 17 and was quite attractive.

- The parents, whever they were, didn't mind this girl out and about in some other community after dark? Hey, there's plenty of crime where I live - outside of Wash, DC.

Caveat Emptor - buyer beware.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
It wouldn't happen to me, because if I don't recognize the people, I don't answer the door. Of course you have to be careful with this practice as well, because another ploy of crooks is if there is no answer, they start looking for a way to break in.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
DON'T GIVE ANYONE A CHECK.

Think about it. The check has all your personal ID info and your bank account numbers on it.

Either ask to be billed or pay cash. And if paying cash gives you pause, then good for cash!

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
if paying cash gives you pause, then good for cash!
This is a wise thought for many occasions. :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
That's quite the story!

A guy knocked on my door and told me about his church youth group and how they're raising money, which I can get a tax deductible receipt if I donate. I thought what the heck and went in the house to get $5. I came back and gave him the $5, he took it and said, "oh, we don't give receipts for donations less than $10." At the time I was in a hurry and didn't care, but after thinking about it, I've gotten receipts and deducted them for $5 donations... So, I just gave some guy $5; no church group will see that money.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bclews
Put a 'stop payment' on the check.
The only bad thing about doing that is the fees the bank charges. I think it's like $25.00 at my bank. If I were to have only written a $20 check to the scammers, it would cost me more to correct the issue by cancelling the check.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith
I thought this was going to be something about white van speakers or something.
LOL. Yes, that almost happened to me once. LOL

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
600 feet of driveway, rural area , and a BIG dog, have always worked fine in keeping people away. I miss my neighbors....on purpose , usually hitting the dirt at their feet as a warning. ;)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I really thought I had gotten scammed by one of these kid magazine salemen. Wrote him a check for $30.00 for 2 subscriptions but afterwards began to wonder. This kid was a fast talker and didn't look to me like he was headed for college.

About six months later, I started getting the magazines so I guess it wasn't a scam, or at least not a total one. Who knows what the kid used his profit for.

I had a situation with a young gal who came to the door and asked if I was interested in a home security system. I said no, I already have one (I don't). She asked what kind of system I had, and I said that I don't disclose that information. Then, as she was leaving, she took out a piece of chalk and put a big "x" on the curb in front of my house. She then went to my neighbor's house and did the same thing and headed for the next house. So my neighbor and I both went out in the street and confronted her and asked for I.D, the name of her company, supervisor, phone number, etc. She said the X was to notify other sales reps that the house had been solicited. Poor girl was in tears after we got through with her.

I never tried to call her sales manager. She was probably legit, but the sales tactics were idiotic and certainly might give the impression that homes were being cased for security systems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.