AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally finished my Shuttle XPC (SK41G w/ XP2200+, 512MB, ATI AIW Radeon) and brought it out to the front room. Since it is pretty small, and I had a spot for it to go that puts it out of the reach of a 2 1/2 and 4 year old, I only got one eyebrow slightly raised.

So far so good, but... I had to still turn it on. Well, the XPC has a bright blue LED indicating the system is on. "What is that freakin' blue light, and why is it so bright" so I was beginning to worry. Next comment after a couple of minutes while I am still setting it up, and she is watching Lifetime TV in the PIP was, "what is that noise, is that the new computer? I have two kids all day, I don't need more noise!"

Well, I needed to get some drivers off the computer in the office, and she came in and asked me to turn it off because it got louder and she couldn't hear her movie since she listens at a low volume so the kids aren't disturbed. Well the faster fan speed kicked in because it is a 1.8GHz CPU, of course the cooling fan has to do its job. I pleaded and pleaded, but after 10 minutes of HTPC, it is probably going up for auction on eBay. Great, more money down the drain. Why couldn't I have just married my best fishing buddy!?! Oh, wait, don't go there... ;)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
As long as we're off topic, any way to add some noise supression, or maybe locate the HTPC in another room. Obviously the second option would require some extra work, but might be doable without losing the wonderful new toy. Just need some cable runs and an IR repeater.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Get a volcano 9 cooling fan, they at least run quieter than a helicopter taking off....

Reminds me of a story of the wife who wanted to know why all the people were so short and fat in full mode ? and the pix that way looked like homemade ****. So much for WAF.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I will be posting a less humorous post in the HTPC forum because I really don't want to get too far OT here. I will include your thoughts to elicit any advice from current Shuttle XPC users that have successfully implemented some noise suppression.

Thanks.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Try some of the quiet components from Silicon Acoustics. You can get fanless power supplies, quiet disks, and a great quiet CPU cooler from Zalman.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Okay I should not comment here because Im single but come on jeepman its your hobby and you worked hard for it.Forget ebay and fire that thing up.She may be so impressed with the pq that the fan sound will go away.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Underclock the PC.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Underclock the PC.
Running at 100MHz FSB (200MHz internal) I can set SpeedFan to 1% minimum, and 3% max for fan speeds and I am at 42C, and the hard drive is now louder than the fan. That is almost a bigger "uh oh" now, but if I can find rubber O-rings maybe I can isolate much of the vibration from the mount. I will try the wife one more time tonight by watching the Cell through the standalone DVD, but have the HTPC on simulating what noise it will make in the room.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
jeepman....

sad to say, but you are screwed now and forever. The "freakin blue light" is too bright? What's she gonna complain about next......"oh god, those colors on that plasma tv....yech....they are too bright....i want my black & white tv back....the kids' eyes will go bad with so many colors".:confused:

Seriously, maybe we should trade spouses.....in my 'family room' there are: 2 fish tanks (both 20 gallon jobs) each with filter and one with an airpump, and a 3'x5'x7' cage with 2 huge iguanas and at least 300 watts of bright lights.

The air pump bugs *ME* whenever trying to listen to 5.1 sound on DVD or a quiet passage on TV....and forget about listening to a CD. The lights make it seem like daytime until about 10:30 when the little sh*ts...er...I mean iguanas.... go to sleep and the lights go off.

You have my sympathy......

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
On my old AMD I lined the inner sides and top of the case with the foam you get with motherboard packaging (the airy flexible kind) and sealed it in with electrical tape. It helped a lot with the fan noise (and didn't add too much to the internal temperature). For the bright blue light, you can try covering that with taillight tape (the same or a different color). You will still have some light showing through, but not as bright.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Insulation was my first thought too. They sell insulation especially made for the inside of computers, but I like Deeann's method much better. For the "bright" blue light - how about a piece of electric tape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.