AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remembered hearing this several times in the past from Gerry, so I search DVArchive.org and found the following:

Quote:
If you are using a ethernet port that is part of your motherboard (i.e. not a seperate card), at a minimum, make sure you have the latest BIOS flashed into your motherboard. Alternatly, disable that port and purchase a quality NIC like a 3Com or Intel NIC. These NICs will handle lots of data fast without putting a big burden on your processor. Lots of motherboard attached NICs are known to have problems and/or be lousy performers.
So, if I search on Pricewatch and find a 3Com card for $4, does this count? Are all 3Com cards good?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
And not just Gerry. The 3C905 cards are well regarded by everyone everywhere. If I remember correctly, there was a time when Dell used this chip-set on their motherboard-based NICs, actually.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by madSkeelz
And not just Gerry. The 3C905 cards are well regarded by everyone everywhere. If I remember correctly, there was a time when Dell used this chip-set on their motherboard-based NICs, actually.
You don't SAY! EVERYONE? EVERYWHERE? WOWZERS!!!

I don't, never did actually - even played a few games of parking lot boom-stick hockey with the them as the pucks.

Well, guess I f--ked that theory up for you. I'm just not that impressed or enamored with the 3C905 line - they're not "all that special" - actually, with the exception of the 3C905B-TXNM cards which had a rather unique design feature (single chip, everything integrated, controllers and all) - impressive in 1998-1998 when it came out, still can hold it's own ground today- but, the rest of the cards in the line - nothing special - run of the mill among the other cards in the high-end desktop/not-too-over-revved-workstations class. On a number of occasions, I've pulled them out of systems where network perforance might be an issue. As far as I'm concerned, based on experience and bench tests with HW analyzers - good of general l. user's computer

The Intel EtherExpress Chip based cards are, and for the most part always was - a superior chip & card design than the comparable 3Commie branded card. I'd have to say that, for all but the most critical & demanding - The Intel EtherExpress/Pro-100S is probably my weapon of choice here (or was the last time I had to do build-specs - about a year or so ago)

For the Ethernet card equivalent of a Top Fuel dragster (For those times when your Ethernet transmissions need to get there yesterday - Seriously.) Syskonnect. But expect to pay just shy of $400 for one card, with a single 10/100 port. $1200 for the Gigabit over Copper card - (and it's a PCI-64bit card BTW)

So, even at 4-bucks, the 3com isn't someting I'd buy...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.