Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I must admit I am new to LCD technology, as I've primarily used tubes. However, I am looking at purchasing a couple of 6" monitors for use around the house (kitchen, etc.) and have seen 2 types of lcd monitors. These are "LCD" or "TFT/LCD". Am I correct in assuming that the "LCD" types ar the passive matrix LCD's and the "TFT/LCD" types are the active matrix LCD's?

I want to make sure I clear this up before I purchase.

Thanks,

Russ

·
Registered
476 Posts
Russ

I would imagine any TFT LCD manufacturer would indeed emphasize the TFT designation. Another acronym you might encounter is AM LCD (Active Matrix LCD).

Mike

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
No TV-class panel is passive matrix any more. They are are TFT-LCD which is the same thing as saying active-matrix.

TFT = thin-film transistor and implies that each pixel is directly driven by one of those, i.e. it's an "active matrix."

Mark

·
Registered
476 Posts
Russ

I would not assume AM type if it's not stated anywhere.

If you search on the Internet, you will definitively find some 6" LCD devices that are not active-matrix type. Can you post a link to a Web page?

Mike

·
Registered
476 Posts
Russ

I looked at several Web sites and most of them state that this particular model is indeed TFT/AM.

The 6" model probably is not.

Also you may look at this one: http://autoronics.site.yahoo.net/cm701w.html

Be aware of the odd resolutions.

For the CM701W model it is quoted as: "1,440(W) x 234(V) DOTS."

I have seen low vertical pixel counts before.

Maybe Rogo can comment on that.

Mike

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mike,

To show you how I was confused, I also saw this screen:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...m71&svbname=30

Which simply states LCD and is priced considerably lower. I imagine this might be DSTN and not AM. The other thing that bothers me is the lack of information about the product, such as pixel count. I too have seen some models with extremely low vertical pixel count.

Russ

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
But hey, it has no radiation!

Some of the video-oriented, car-oriented LCDs do indeed offer terrible resolution.

But in a car, it probably wouldn't matter much.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
But hey, it has no radiation!
LOL!

Yeah, a lot of the "good" screens I've seen had horrible resolution or were just so dull and washed out. Even a lot of the Pioneers had bad off-axis response. I'm going to go to a local trade show here in houston this weekend and see if the guys have some of the lesser known screens set up for viewing.

If nothing else, I'll order 1 screen and see how it looks. If it's awful, I'll pay the restocking fee of $15 and let everyone know about it.

Russ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.