AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my Philips BDP9000 connected via an HDMI-DVI cable to my LCD tv and it doesn't fill the whole screen (it plays at 720p). I'm not talking about the letterboxing; even when the material ought to fill the whole screen, there's a slim black bar on the left (not the right) and the bottom (not the top).

The bars are so slim that they don't bother me, but does anyone know why my TV does this? Does it have to do with the native resolution perhaps?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Do you have the BDP9000 set to widescreen in the setup menu?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avor /forum/post/0

What is pixel cropping? Does it mean that I'm losing part of the picture or is it just a matter of how it scales to the native resolution?

Yes, some players don't actually show the entire image, cutting off a few pixels somewhere. I believe the Samsung BD player is (or was?) one of these players. If your TV has overscan, you won't know the difference because it's on the very edge that is hidden by the overscan:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fea...ers-page3.html

I don't know if that's the case here. What shiftV said seems to be more likely.

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
IS the overscan set to 100% ?/

In that case a 1:85 movie would leave small bars onthe bottom of a 16:9 (1.78) display.

·
Registered
502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avor /forum/post/0

Yes. Again the bars are very slim, probably only about 2-3% of the screen.

I had the same issue on my Samsung HL-S7178W when viewing content from the Xbox 360 connected with the VGA cable. At first I didn't even notice it. Seems my TV automatically scales the pic in PC mode down to 92% (to correct for overscan ????), but there is a fix for it ... Picture Size allows you to adjust both the position and size of the picture, so just a few quick tweaks, and it fills the screen properly.

I realize the adjustments on my TV are not the same as yours, but I found the answer by searching through the ginourmous Owners' Thread for my TV ... and also found instructions near the back of the manual (generally my last resort
).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.