AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a new house and looking at a 65" to 75"+ TV mounted...where else but over the fireplace. I would like to use some quality 3 way floor speakers (would love some B&W's 702' for aesthetics) for the L&R but would like to add a center channel attached or beneath the TV. We do not plan on having a mantle since the home design is contemporary. What I'd love is a custom width to match the TV but haven't found anything at a reasonable price. What do y'all recommend?

a) go custom (big $$)
b) go without a center and install a 4.1 system
c) go with the Sony OLED Tv with the Active Surface Audio which can be installed as a center channel
d) rethink not having a mantle.
e) Ceiling mounted Center channel

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
I am building a new house and looking at a 65" to 75"+ TV mounted...where else but over the fireplace. I would like to use some quality 3 way floor speakers (would love some B&W's 702' for aesthetics) for the L&R but would like to add a center channel attached or beneath the TV. We do not plan on having a mantle since the home design is contemporary. What I'd love is a custom width to match the TV but haven't found anything at a reasonable price. What do y'all recommend?

a) go custom (big $$)
c) go with the Sony OLED Tv with the Active Surface Audio which can be installed as a center channel
d) rethink having a fireplace.

Thanks,
Solved it. ;)

Seriously skip the center channel if your so limited.

·
Registered
16,943 Posts

a) go custom (big $$)
d) rethink not having a mantle.
Definitely not e), for god's sake.

b) is free to try, so why not?

c) is unlikely to give you as good results as 3 free standing speakers.

d) is a possibility, for sure...there are a number of good front-ported or sealed cabinet center speakers you could use if you make sure there is sufficient space between the mantle and your TV to get a DECENT-SIZED center...which *not* some dinky "slimline" center with a gazillion little 2-4" woofers that sounds like crap no matter what the pricetag (physics being physics, indifferent to sales/marketing BS).

a) is unnecessary given what else is out there, especially from brands that you probably have never heard of

What's your budget for the front 3?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely not e), for god's sake.

b) is free to try, so why not?

c) is unlikely to give you as good results as 3 free standing speakers.

d) is a possibility, for sure...there are a number of good front-ported or sealed cabinet center speakers you could use if you make sure there is sufficient space between the mantle and your TV to get a DECENT-SIZED center...which *not* some dinky "slimline" center with a gazillion little 2-4" woofers that sounds like crap no matter what the pricetag (physics being physics, indifferent to sales/marketing BS).

a) is unnecessary given what else is out there, especially from brands that you probably have never heard of

What's your budget for the front 3?
On a) most of the options I find are LCR speakers. I'm really just looking for a good center channel. On b) I'd like to keep the front 3 at $5K. The 702's will eat about $4k of that.

Has anyone used the Sony's Acoustic Panel option as a center channel powered by an AVR?

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
I'm really just looking for a good center channel. On b) I'd like to keep the front 3 at $5K. The 702's will eat about $4k of that.
Ascend Sierra Horizon would be my pick (personally I'd take their Sierra Towers over the B&W 702). Only drawback is the sheer size, but since the center does 70-80% of the HT output I think it'd be totally worth it. It's front ported so you can push it up flush against the wall if needed.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/horizon/horizon.html

If you want more of a contemporary look, there's the Wharfedale Evo 4.C but it's rear ported.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts