AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
told you all i was right, please tell anyone claiming credit that all credit goes to me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/17020228


Haha, ban Gslide troll?

It was all a hoax. He was in the thread. You are so gullible. He's laughing at you. He was in the thread where everyone realized the date was a misprint. He's still laughing at you. He can't believe you fell for it! He's STILL in the thread where they're sending out fake photos to all retailers. The ruse continues. We are all just pawns in Gslides joke. /s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
What's wrong with HDMI support and lossless audio from the PS3? Mine works fine as long as you set the PS3 to PCM and output the lossless audio codecs via HDMI. I just came around for the announcement so I may be behind on the news, but is there something I missed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenTso /forum/post/17020377


What's wrong with HDMI support and lossless audio from the PS3? Mine works fine as long as you set the PS3 to PCM and output the lossless audio codecs via HDMI. I just came around for the announcement so I may be behind on the news, but is there something I missed?

Some people have this weird perception that the lossless audio isn't the same quality if their Dolby TrueHD light doesn't light up on their receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cetra00 /forum/post/17020488


Some people have this weird perception that the lossless audio isn't the same quality if their Dolby TrueHD light doesn't light up on their receiver.

it's not as simple as that. it's practical to want to know whether you're listening to dtshdma or truehd as opposed to seeing "pcm" on the screen all the time. i would also much rather have my high end receiver do the conversion than the ps3. to each his/her own. point is, this is a great chance for them to correct some mistakes here. adding wireless n would be awesome as well


edit: having just seen the official slim ps3 specs, it looks like they changed nothing except take away the ability to install linux. opportunity lost...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain /forum/post/17021362


it's not as simple as that. it's practical to want to know whether you're listening to dtshdma or truehd as opposed to seeing "pcm" on the screen all the time. i would also much rather have my high end receiver do the conversion than the ps3. to each his/her own. point is, this is a great chance for them to correct some mistakes here. adding wireless n would be awesome as well


edit: having just seen the official slim ps3 specs, it looks like they changed nothing except take away the ability to install linux. opportunity lost...

Since you have such a receiver good enough to decode the lossless audio, I assume you already know this. But if you change the audio out in the PS3 to bitstream, doesn't that allow your receiver to decode the audio and light up all the bells and whistles? Mine only decodes Dolby Digital or DTS so I can only speak for myself, but my receiver tells me what audio it is decoding from the PS3 when it's set to bitsream. I keep it on PCM so I can get the best audio option.


Are you wanting your receiver to display DTS HDMA et al when it's receiving PCM or bitstream? You can't really expect a receiver to display Dolby TruHD when it's receiving a PCM signal. How is it supposed to know? And if you have a receiver that can decode lossless, it should light up correctly when receiving bitstream audio. If you're not sure what you're hearing, you can always press info on your remote to tell what kind of audio and video files the PS3 is decoding.


Forgive me if this has already been discussed ad nauseum. I'm satisfied with hitting info for confirmation I'm getting the highest quality audio available, but I've also found myself wondering on rare occasions if the machine was lying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,671 Posts

Quote:
I've also found myself wondering on rare occasions if the machine was lying

Lol


Sony don't Lie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenTso /forum/post/17022743


Since you have such a receiver good enough to decode the lossless audio, I assume you already know this. But if you change the audio out in the PS3 to bitstream, doesn't that allow your receiver to decode the audio and light up all the bells and whistles? Mine only decodes Dolby Digital or DTS so I can only speak for myself, but my receiver tells me what audio it is decoding from the PS3 when it's set to bitsream. I keep it on PCM so I can get the best audio option.


Are you wanting your receiver to display DTS HDMA et al when it's receiving PCM or bitstream? You can't really expect a receiver to display Dolby TruHD when it's receiving a PCM signal. How is it supposed to know? And if you have a receiver that can decode lossless, it should light up correctly when receiving bitstream audio. If you're not sure what you're hearing, you can always press info on your remote to tell what kind of audio and video files the PS3 is decoding.


Forgive me if this has already been discussed ad nauseum. I'm satisfied with hitting info for confirmation I'm getting the highest quality audio available, but I've also found myself wondering on rare occasions if the machine was lying.

no the ps3 does all of the decoding and outputs the stream to the receiver as pcm. that's why only pcm shows up on the display. that's the problem. the ps3 uses an earlier hdmi 1.3 chip/spec that makes it impossible to bitstream the lossless codecs. it has to decode them internally and outut as pcm. so my point was why not take advantage of the redesign and put the complete/final hdmi chipset in there?


you're right about being able to press the buttons on the remote to see the codec, but it's still easier to just glance at the receiver display. especially useful when others are watching a movie and you're just passing through.


for that matter they could have finally integrated an ir receiver as well
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top