AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I thought I would get bookshelves, but it now turns out my wife actually seems to prefer having floorstanding speakers (blends better with furniture??) in the living room but certainly not black (I agree). I am looking for compact speakers and to be extremely specific- nothing larger than an American regular paper sheet size (8.5 inches * 11 inches) for w*d. Height is less of an issue.

The financial restriction is that it be under $800 a pair.

They will be mostly (90%) used for music.

Here are my current candidates

a) Era D10 ($800 a pair)

b) Klipsch Icon WF-34 ($500 a pair)

c) Aperion Intimus 4T ($650 a pair)

d) Wharfedale 10.3 or 10.4 (600-700)

e) Monitor Radius 270 (around 500 for the rose mahogany)

Honestly I cant make up mind and neither can I audition any of them where I live.

They are all good looking speakers and all have good reviews.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I will complement them with a subwoofer (budget $500 and again with WAF appeal).

Any suggestions....?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good one...nope...FYI white is out too but I dont know of tower speakers that are white...

Rosenut/dark cherry etc are my color of choice.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Is size the limiting factor due to aesthetics or is there a space restriction? If it's a space restriction then the location of the port comes into play because a rear port needs room to work.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodom /forum/post/19583323

You can find deals on used Totem audio Arros or Staffs for around this price point if you aren't in a hurry. The mahogany finish would match well.

I like the Totem Arro myself for his criteria, except they are 4ohm and 86db sensitivity. He may or may not have the appropriate amp to drive the Arros. There is an appealing aspect for music listening with 2 way speakers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling /forum/post/19583291

Is size the limiting factor due to aesthetics or is there a space restriction? If it's a space restriction then the location of the port comes into play because a rear port needs room to work.

Right on..they will be up close against the walls. Which is why many of my shortlist have front ports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodom /forum/post/19583249

I agree. Black isn't the best color unless you perfer a more modern look, especially if you have dark furniture. I'm kind of in the same boat. Appearance is also important.

Yes..very dark furniture...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodom /forum/post/19583323

You can find deals on used Totem audio Arros or Staffs for around this price point if you aren't in a hurry. The mahogany finish would match well.

These look really good...though the 4 ohms would be a real concern.

Thanks for all your advice..i did not realize i had these other options (Ikon 6, Totems, System Audio)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its been more than a month now and I am obliged to return to this thread and provide an update.

So I dragged my a** and drove down to New Orleans to audition some speakers over the Christmas break.

In a rather unexpected turn of events, the Magnolia at the Best Buy there had a pair of Vienna Acoustics Grand Bachs on clearance for $600 a pair. I did audition some other stuff (KEFs, Martinlogans, deftechs, mirage omd15's, etc whatever i could) but i was totally spellbound by the Bachs. I am sure the price and the looks had a role to play.

Anyways, so now i am home with them and have been really enjoying them for sometime.

Thank you all for your comments and advice!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Nice speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling /forum/post/19583291

It's unlikely to need more than about six inches. Not a big restriction for most people.

More signficant are the boundary effects that placing it near the wall will have with any speaker, sealed or ported.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts