AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am really interested in swapping out my denon 1910 for a more up-to-date slim receiver (not immediately, I will probably wait for some hdmi 2.0 slim receivers to come along)

However yamaha and marantz are doing some very tempting models at the moment. I am going to be driving 2xB&W 683, 1xHTM61 and 2x685's from it. Will the slim receivers work , or are they too large a compromise over full size equivalents?

All reviews I read imply they do well, 'for their size' however I am unsure what compromises they have to be that much smaller!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbentley100  /t/1524040/slim-recievers-worth-it-or-not#post_24522001

Hi,

I am really interested in swapping out my denon 1910 for a more up-to-date slim receiver (not immediately, I will probably wait for some hdmi 2.0 slim receivers to come along)

However yamaha and marantz are doing some very tempting models at the moment. I am going to be driving 2xB&W 683, 1xHTM61 and 2x685's from it. Will the slim receivers work , or are they too large a compromise over full size equivalents?

All reviews I read imply they do well, 'for their size' however I am unsure what compromises they have to be that much smaller!

Thanks in advance

The speakers you want to use range from 87-89 db at 8 ohm nominal. The Marantz NR1604 can certainly drive them but don't expect them to bring the house down as it were. I have speakers that are 89-90 db at 8ohm that play plenty loud and I thoroughly enjoy the sound. The drawback of the NR1604 (and other Marantz slim line) is that its room correction is a bit more elementary than higher end full size Marantz AVRs. For my needs, it plays plenty loud, sounds excellent with my speakers. What you might want to do is check out the slim line series at a Best Buy (Magnolia?) store and have them put some larger speakers up that are not overly efficient at 8 ohms.

The Marantz NR1604 isn't perfect but is works really well for what it is.

Marantz NR1604

Goldenear (2) Triton 7, (1) SCXL, (2) AON 3, Zone 2 - (2) AON 3 (Older Klipsch 12" sub almost never use)

TiVo Roamio, TiVo 3

Oppo 103BDP

2 - QNAP NAS

Panasonic 65VT50 plasma TV

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd  /t/1524040/slim-recievers-worth-it-or-not#post_24522031

The speakers you want to use range from 87-89 db at 8 ohm nominal. The Marantz NR1604 can certainly drive them but don't expect them to bring the house down as it were. I have speakers that are 89-90 db at 8ohm that play plenty loud and I thoroughly enjoy the sound. The drawback of the NR1604 (and other Marantz slim line) is that its room correction is a bit more elementary than higher end full size Marantz AVRs. For my needs, it plays plenty loud, sounds excellent with my speakers. What you might want to do is check out the slim line series at a Best Buy (Magnolia?) store and have them put some larger speakers up that are not overly efficient at 8 ohms.

Thanks for the response, this was about what I expected. I will certainly try and have a listen before I take any plunge, but am just more curious if its just a plain silly plan or not. I want to generally decrease my gadget impact on the lounge.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbentley100  /t/1524040/slim-recievers-worth-it-or-not#post_24522040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd  /t/1524040/slim-recievers-worth-it-or-not#post_24522031

Thanks for the response, this was about what I expected. I will certainly try and have a listen before I take any plunge, but am just more curious if its just a plain silly plan or not. I want to generally decrease my gadget impact on the lounge.

You might want to measure your peak listening levels with a peak-reading, peak-holding SPL meter such as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8928-Decibel-Meter-Digital-Accurate-Sound-noise-pressure-Level-tester-40-130-db-/271167212819

You can plug your speaker efficiency, listening distance, speaker positions into a peak SPL calculator such as this one to obtain a better estimate of your power needs, as opposed to just guessing: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Marantz tends to understate the power output of their AVRs as compared to other manufacturers. AVRs tend to have a fair amount of empty space inside their boxes. To a certain degree the audio power delivery capabiolties of 18 pound AVRs converges. I've examined the construction of some small AVRs and they tend to make heavier use of cooling fans to reduce the size of their heat sinks (a major source of bulk) while retaining their power output capabilties.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The Marantz 1603 or 1604 should work fine with those speakers.

The NAD T748 is a better receiver and may sound a bit better for the same price, but the it is about 2 inches taller.

If that is a critical factor for you, then I guess you want the Marantz.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys
sounds like slim receivers will do what I require, just might have slightly less volume (which I don't foresee being a big issue as I don't push my current setup very loud). I might use a db meter at some point to confirm though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts