Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am here in USA about 10years and I always missed my tv from Europe and my programs but now I see a hope in Slingbox.

I got my SLingbox about week ago and I can say that all my friends in EU are amazed with this gizmo :) . I also did connect SBox to camera and transmited video and audio overseas so my familly was able to see me live :).

Did anybody tried so far to sling from Europe to USA? Or I will be a first? :)

(If there is any in EU wanting to let me to test I will be more than happy)

I know that some were trying to sling from UK to UK. Unfortunatelly there is a difference in tv system (PAL - NTSC) so I dont really know if it can be a problem, but there is a option to change output system to ntsc by converting it. One of solution is buying of digital converter but there is another way, getting very popular in EU receiver known as Dreambox , manufactured in Germany dream-multimedia-tv.de . This receiver can produce=change PAL to NTSC additionally it has card reader so you can 100% legally buy a subbed card with programing on it (it is legal in EU to get subbed card with no receiver "attached" :) )

I hope to get my project working but only one problem that seems to be a big one is controling of Dreambox using Slingbox. Is any way that I can help Slingmedia to get informations how to implement Dreambox remote codes to their system? Dreambox is very popular in EU and also popular in North America as a FTA receiver so it is not onyl one way ticket to EU.

Sorry for poor English

M.

2 links with instructional videos about Sbox.

If it is against policy of this forum , Mods sorry please erase them.

zdnet

ziff davisi nternet

·
Registered
239 Posts
Marcyjok,

I am glad you have found the Slingbox and hope it meets your needs!

I will take a look to find out information about the Dreambox. Is there a specific model number for the box you own?

Best,

Jeremy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoeman
(...)will take a look to find out information about the Dreambox. Is there a specific model number for the box you own?(...)
There are few models of Dreambox on the market but good thing is that remote from DM7000 / DM7020 model that is most popular similar receiver is working almost good with other models DM5620 and DM500.

http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/Be...eaturelist.php

link with specifications about main model

Please reply if it make sense that I can send you my remote to get the codes freequences from it? or you need more specific details from manufacturer in order to make Dreambox work with Slingbox.

thanks

M.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
A number of people are successfully Slinging from the UK I believe.

One is using a PAL to NTSC standards converter to feed the Slingbox from his PAL source, another has discovered that the Slingbox composite and s-video inputs will accept a PAL input, though they crop some of it (not sure if it only accepts the top 480 lines of the 576 in PAL?) NB The tuner in the Sling box is NTSC only - so you'd need an external set-top box, satellite receiver, Tivo etc. to feed the Sling for either method to work

The bigger issue is remote control. Those UK Tivo owners are OK - as UK and US series 1 Tivos respond to the same infra red commands - not sure about other kit.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Hi Marcy,

Thanks for your PM. I do have a remote control upgrade for the Dreambox, but implementing this upgrade with the Slingbox might be a problem though.

I've ony just started working with the remote control features of the chip used in the Slingbox, but I've been told that there is a size limitation for new protocols, and the Dreambox would require a new protocol, and it's a big one! I haven't determined what the actual size limit is yet, so once I know that, I'll have a better idea of what's possible and what isn't.

Jeremy, the code in question is SAT/1237.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Robman thanks for your work, I dont really have a big clue how it is working but if there is any way that I can test beta version of software with Dreambox implementation I will be happy to do this. I have a dreambox and I am going to send my Slingbox to EU in the next week to test it. I hope that Dreambox remote support will be available in near future, thanks again for your interest in this topic and thanks to Slingbox team for good product.

M.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard rumour that in September there will be update containing support for remote for Dreambox and also PAL Slingbox will be available. Is there even slightly chance that it is true?

·
Registered
8 Posts
"We’ll have a PAL version in the third quarter. We might just sell it online at first."

Blake Krikorian, CEO of Sling Media July 2005

Did you try orb? I am waiting for the PAL Slingbox in the mean time I am using ORB and pretty happy with it.

Triangle

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
any updates about Sbox and Dreambox support?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Marcyjok,

I saw a post on the slingcommunity site that said Sling Media is looking for users to beta test the upcoming PAL Slingbox. I'd post a link to the article I saw, but for some reason it won't let me post any links :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.