AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I am watching TV on the road, my wife can't use the phone. Any way to prioritize traffic? Maybe a router setting on my Linksys?

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhogan73
If I am watching TV on the road, my wife can't use the phone. Any way to prioritize traffic? Maybe a router setting on my Linksys?

Thanks
I have Vonage VOIP and Comcast Cable at 8 Mbps download / 799 Kbps upload. Your VOIP service should in theory not use more than 90 Kbps (both ways), so you might want to check your speeds. Here's a site I use: http://www.testmy.net/

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehuna
I have Vonage VOIP and Comcast Cable at 8 Mbps download / 799 Kbps upload. Your VOIP service should in theory not use more than 90 Kbps (both ways), so you might want to check your speeds. Here's a site I use: http://www.testmy.net/
I hate to take this off topic, but if you don't mind, can you share any experiences you've had with Vonage. I have Comcast and had Packet9 VOIP. I was very unhappy with the quality of service. I've just installed Vonage and am trying to compare the quality. Assuming you're happy, is there anything you did to "tune" your router or anything else to insure good service?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am very happy with Vonage. There was a bump on the road though: when I first signed up, after about a week, the service stopped working - I couldn't receive or place calls.

I called Vonage support (through my cell) and it was pretty hard to get anyone, I had to wait 1-2 hours! And of course, the first couple of nights after explaining my problem I was disconnected after a few minutes... :mad:

Finally, on the 3rd night I found someone in Vonage support that seemed to be a bit more technical and really helped me troubleshoot and fix the issue. Turns out my Linksys router attempted to auto upgrade its firmware, but the update was not successful. It was now stuck between here and there, not yet on the new version, but with half of an old version.

With Vonage CSR's help we finally were able to upgrade the firmware completely. Since then it has been a bit over 6 months and I haven't had one problem: calls work perfectly, the voicemail works great (including delivery of new voicemails by email), there are a ton of features that don't event exist on a regular phone line, etc...

Before I had a regular phone line with SBC. With DSL, and international and long distance calls my phone bills were always over $100/month. Now with Comcast cable and Vonage I get unlimited long distance, over 5 times the speed of SBC DSL and I spend less than $50/month. :)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehuna
I am very happy with Vonage.
Thanks for the feedback. With Packet8, we would have echo's and lots of dropped words. Packet8 of course said it was the Internet connection. There apparently is no way to tell where the problem was. Finally I decided to try Vonege. Now the past few days, Comcast is dropping for a minute 2-3 times each hour, and usually when we're on the phone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.