AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That one slingbox thread is getting waaaaay too long to track. Based on requests from the members, here is another thread where you can post your feature requests and share ideas on new potential features.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would like to see the ability to connect more than one Slingplayer at a time. I doubt that there would be licensing issues, provided that the number of connections is limited (say, 5 connections?). Obviously, outbound bandwidth must be adequate, but this could be handled with appropriate warnings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Blake,

I already posted my "wish list" in another thread before I saw this one. Reposting here, hope you don't mind.

Would love to see more support for cable stb’s (I have a GI Explorer 8000) and FTA satellite receivers, (currently using a QUALI-TV QS1080IR FTA satellite receiver). Just thinking out loud, if there is anyway to teach the Slingbox IR codes like you do on a learning remote control (I know you need an IR sensor for this, but just thinking out loud). Finally, I would love to be able to control several devices via IR (multi IR blasters). It would be great to be able to preset and select what you want to control (built-in cable TV tuner, cable stb, satellite receiver, video/audio input from the remote control panel in the SlingPlayer instead of needing to edit the AV configuration properties each time you want to change devices.

Thanks again,

Steve

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Very interested: video quality improvements:

* HDTV tuner (for best quality encoding) Will new laws apply to slingbox?

* codecs that provide higher quality when higher bandwidth is available

Very interested additional features:

* Firewire input from cable boxes (in lieu of cable card version?)

* Cable card version

* PAL, SECAM

* open source

* ActiveX control (allowing integration into applications)

* Unslingbox client (standalone so no need for computer)

Much less interested:

* wireless

* DVR

·
Registered
50 Posts
As (primarily) a Mac user in the UK, naturally I have two requests -

1. Pal

2. Mac support!

Naturally I'm aware that both are being worked on, but any chance of letting us know estimated dates?

Additionally, is PAL going to be supported in firmware, or would it be a different box?

If you need any Beta testing done on this set-up, don't hesitate to get in contact!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa
I would like to see the ability to connect more than one Slingplayer at a time. I doubt that there would be licensing issues, provided that the number of connections is limited (say, 5 connections?). Obviously, outbound bandwidth must be adequate, but this could be handled with appropriate warnings.
I think the real problem with this is fair use rights issues. Given all the litigation surrounding improperly shared material like music, movies, software, etc. Sling Media has to be careful not to appear to support illegal sharing. Allowing for multiple simultaneous connections could be construed as supporting such activity. Yes, they could fall back on the common "the user makes the decision of how to use the capability and they don't endorse illegal use". However, cases like the recent Grokster decision shows that a company must also take "reasonable precautions" to attempt to prevent users from using the technology for illegal purposes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
List the TiVo boxes all together, and in multiple categories. For example, TiVo, Philips, Hughes, DirecTV, etc. You should be able to start with what you know, and end up with a list of models that you can try.

I also have multiple TiVo boxes. From my testing it appears you use the "0" code that will operate any TiVo. This can cause a TiVo to reset to using code "0", causing no end of problems. The software should allow us to pick the code, from 0 to 9, with the default set to "0".

Also, my testing on the Philips DSR6000 IR control was not successful. I don't know how many of these there are left out there, but I expect there are a few. I keep it as a spare, and it was perfect as a dedicated box for me to use when I travel.

·
Registered
113 Posts
One minor tweak to the UI. When you run Full Screen and Fit TV to Player, the remote hides part of the screen. I would have expected the image to fit in the window.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really like and use SlingPlayer docked to one side of the screen. It does a good job of controlling the size of the other apps running on my machine. I wear bifocals, however, and find that I keep tilting my head back far enough to watch the docked video display, which is at the top of the SlingPlayer window. A nice future enhancement would be the ability to allow the user to select the position of the video display in the docked window (to be at the top or bottom of the SlingPlayer window). I know I can use the non-docked mode to move the display to the bottom of my screen, but the other apps running are not forced to a compatible display size.

I know this is a nit-picky suggestion, but for those of us with older eyes (and bifocals), this would be a nice addition.

·
Registered
21 Posts
1) Allow adjustment to audio versus video quality. Right now I'm listen to MP3's from Tivo. Almost no video activity and low audio quality. I'd like to devote little or no bandwidth to video and ramp up audio quality a lot.
Afterthought: Note: I'm listening on laptop speakers so maybe I'm undervaluing Slingbox audio quality. I don't have a way to verify this right now.

Followup: Laptop speakers were part of the problem, but still want more from audio quality for music listening.

Further information: gagorder directed me to the settings I wanted and they worked great. Read details:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post5838804

2) Allow copy to clipboard of "Information tab" of properties. I have to take several graphical screen pictures to document my settings. If I could copy/paste I could stuff them in an editable document.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How about a premium service offered by SlingMedia, that allows you to view your Slingbox output from ANY computer, by going to a special SlingMedia page, and entering your exclusive box ID number and password. I.e. a web based Slingplayer application. For those times when you just don't have your computer, and you don't want to be installing Slingplayer all over the world on public computers (and osmetimes, you can't install stuff on public computers). I would think it may need to be a premium serivce, or a minimal cost, maybe even like $1 an hour, as it would require a lot of bandwidth for several people to use at once. Of course, free woul dbe nice -- But I don't think it would be very costly to set up, and just gives users and potential customers another op to use the box.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Instead of more IR blasters to stick on devices & block hand-held remotes, what about a more powerful emitter that you place close or on the other side of the room for that matter? One emitter blasting your whole entertainment center.

For $25 you can get an emitter that you plug into an earphone jack that boasts 100' range. The fact that they give you PDA software with it is incidental.

[Note this is a different hardware interface so don't try plugging one in your Slingbox!]
http://www.griffintechnology.com/gri...e/totalremote/

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebNut
1) Allow adjustment to audio versus video quality. Right now I'm listen to MP3's from Tivo. Almost no video activity and low audio quality. I'd like to devote little or no bandwidth to video and ramp up audio quality a lot.
Afterthought: Note: I'm listening on laptop speakers so maybe I'm undervaluing Slingbox audio quality. I don't have a way to verify this right now.

Followup: Laptop speakers were part of the problem, but still want more from audio quality for music listening.

2) Allow copy to clipboard of "Information tab" of properties. I have to take several graphical screen pictures to document my settings. If I could copy/paste I could stuff them in an editable document.
Re #1; I've seen the option to edit audio properties before, but it's intermittent; sometimes I can change it, sometimes its greyed out. Probably either a bug or something that need to be documented on when audio settings are available for edit.

Re #2; I agree, that would be nice.

regards,

-e

·
Registered
84 Posts
2 feature requests.

1 software for windows mobile (i'd love to beta test)

2 remote controls for stereo receivers so one could switch sources. Also maybe compatibility with pronto codes and 3rd party ir emmiters would probably make this possible as well.

BTW Blake hope you guys do vey well with this it is one of the most exciting technologies since tivo came along and I think your willingness to listen to your customers directly will make this product even better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilal36
2 feature requests.

1 software for windows mobile (i'd love to beta test)
I would like this too.. but the more I think about it, the more I wonder how it's going to be done. If you look at their system requirements, and the fact that Mac users running G4's and VirtualPC can't get good performance, I wonder how a lowly pocketpc is going to make it. Maybe at a low quality mode, but other than that, it may be a difficult accomplishment. I hope slingmedia proves me wrong, though. :D

-e

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcuin99
I would like this too.. but the more I think about it, the more I wonder how it's going to be done. If you look at their system requirements, and the fact that Mac users running G4's and VirtualPC can't get good performance, I wonder how a lowly pocketpc is going to make it. Maybe at a low quality mode, but other than that, it may be a difficult accomplishment. I hope slingmedia proves me wrong, though. :D

-e
Sling has already demonstrated several platforms other than XP at CES, including Windows Mobile. Blake has said that they will be releasing these in the coming months.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
This has been brought up in the other thread, but I'm sure that the most requested feature will be input/source switching.

As I see it, the Slingbox has 3 inputs - RF (antenna/cable), composite, and s-video. The composite and s-video share the audio input but I think there's a work-around. Provide an option so that the s-video uses the left audio channel and composite uses the right audio channel. I'm sure many people wouldn't mind giving up stereo in some cases to get an extra input. This would allow quick switching between antenna, cable, satellite, tivo, etc. without going through the setup wizard.

Thanks for developing this great device.

-Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebNut

Webnut, you are able to adjust the video quality to provide better audio quality by disabling "fast start" here is how:

Go to "Player" in the slingboxplayer.

Go to "Slingbox Options"

Uncheck "Enable Fast Start"

Click Ok

Also, in addition to this.

In the SlingPlayer Settings.

Click "Encoding Tab"

Click "Manually Adjust Stream Parameters (Advanced)" and lower it to lowest you can tolerate.

Click "Video Frames Per Second" and reduce it to the lowest you can tolerate.

Click "I-Frames Interval (seconds)" and reduce it to the lowest you can tolerate.

Click "Video Smoothness" and move the slider to the left all the way or to tolerance

Click "Audio Bitrate" and adjust it to the highest settings (48kbps)

Click "OK"

This will also maximize your listening experience while listening to AUDIO ONLY, when viewing audio/video I'd personally recommend using the "Medium Action" preset.

You MUST do this while disconnected from the video source, however. If you follow these instructions you will have little to no problem with the audio quality.

-Gagorder

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
I think the real problem with this is fair use rights issues. Given all the litigation surrounding improperly shared material like music, movies, software, etc. Sling Media has to be careful not to appear to support illegal sharing. Allowing for multiple simultaneous connections could be construed as supporting such activity. Yes, they could fall back on the common "the user makes the decision of how to use the capability and they don't endorse illegal use". However, cases like the recent Grokster decision shows that a company must also take "reasonable precautions" to attempt to prevent users from using the technology for illegal purposes.
I really don't think this is anything like the Grokster case. There, the Court emphasized the substantial evidence tending to show that Grokster was not only facilitating copyright infringement, but actively encouraging it. Sling Media has never encouraged unlawful behavior; the fact that each user needs to enter a unique device code and password, and that everyone using the Slingbox must watch the same content, indicates that the Slingbox is intended only for personal use. Moreover, the Grokster case involved massive file sharing, which arguably has a devastating economic effect on the recording industry. The Slingbox, even with a five-user maximum, is narrow-cast, and will have negligible economic effect. In the case of broadcast TV, the Slingbox user even sees all of the advertising that pays for the content. I don't see allowing multiple users as much different from having a cable splitter or distribution system within the home, except that it has greater geographic reach. It is certainly no worse than Shoutcast.

·
Registered
542 Posts
1. For input switching, I would like to see the ability to create "profiles," which would pair a particular input with a particular IR codeset. I could then select a named profile that configured the Slingbox to control, for example, my cable box playing through the s-video input. I mentioned this in the other thread, but thought it useful to repeat it here.

2. I would also like to see the ability to enter discrete IR codes and macros. That would allow me, for example, to tell my AV receiver to switch to its DVD input, then turn on and control the DVD player.

3. Regarding multiple IR emitters, I already have a system with several IR receivers placed around the house. Wires from the receivers are collected at a central point, and then connected to emitters attached to my various devices. I find the Slingbox emitter works fine when it is simply attached to one of these receivers. Every device then gets the same signal, but only responds if it is the device that the signal was intended for. The Slingplayer requires only a software upgrade (i.e., swiching IR codesets) to control all of my connected devices.

1 - 20 of 298 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.