AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
281 - 298 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Just a few feature requests, advance apologies if some have alredy been made.

- It would be fabulistic (techie term) to view/operate via a web broser or skin-able interface.

- I feel that a more robust mechanism to determine performance would be VERY helpful. The FPS and streaming bitrate indications are great but they are tied to the application so tightly that its hard to determine if your bandwith is fluctuating or slinglayer is making adjustments. I'm running on a wireless network averaging anywhere from 600 to 1300 Kbps and still find video to be somewhat fuzzy whereas when wired directly to my router via ethernet and running a similar bitrate/framerate the video is significantly better. Having the ability to more acurately determine video/audio performance would help significantly for those of us on wireless networks.

Off topic questions:

- I have been trying to find the Netgear XE102 powerline adaptors and there are NONE to be had on the planet. Does anyone have an idea why? I have tried everywhere and everyone is out of stock .. Bizarre !

- Can someone please elaborate on the announcement regarding the "SlingLink" device. I am VERY interested in learning more.

Thanks for providing people like me this cool device that I did not need but had to have .. just cause its soo darned cool ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1truk
Hello Everyone,

- It would be fabulistic (techie term) to view/operate via a web broser or skin-able interface.

- I feel that a more robust mechanism to determine performance would be VERY helpful. The FPS and streaming bitrate indications are great but they are tied to the application so tightly that its hard to determine if your bandwith is fluctuating or slinglayer is making adjustments. I'm running on a wireless network averaging anywhere from 600 to 1300 Kbps and still find video to be somewhat fuzzy whereas when wired directly to my router via ethernet and running a similar bitrate/framerate the video is significantly better. Having the ability to more acurately determine video/audio performance would help significantly for those of us on wireless networks.

Off topic questions:

- I have been trying to find the Netgear XE102 powerline adaptors and there are NONE to be had on the planet. Does anyone have an idea why? I have tried everywhere and everyone is out of stock .. Bizarre !

- Can someone please elaborate on the announcement regarding the "SlingLink" device. I am VERY interested in learning more.

Thanks for providing people like me this cool device that I did not need but had to have .. just cause its soo darned cool ...
I saw them at Best Buy in NJ last evening. I was looking att hem but they only come as a package of one for $79.99. I would pay that for two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saramj
I saw them at Best Buy in NJ last evening. I was looking att hem but they only come as a package of one for $79.99. I would pay that for two.
I live in an area with 3 best buy stores and they have only had (1) one single unit available for the past 3 weeks. The closest store also with a total of one is 500 miles from me. I have searched all over the internet and only found one site that showed to have 2 in stock and after I ordered and complained that after 2 weeks they hadnt shipped they admitted that they dont have them and dont know when they can get more.

I think I will be better off waiting for the "Sling" powerline option if I can get some more info that would be great. Any clue what the going price will be? It appears that there will be a main unit and 2 adaptors included.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1truk
Hello Everyone,

Off topic questions:

Hi,

1. Web browser/skinnable interface - while I can't go into details right now, I will say that something of this nature is now in the works.

2. Reporting - what other suggestions do you have in mind? We're always open to good ideas!

3. XE102's - no idea, maybe it's all the Slingbox customers picking them up? :)

4. SlingLink - at this time, all we've announced is that we'll bundle 2 SlingLinks in a package, and they'll be available in time for your holiday shopping!

With regards to feature requests and feedback directed to the Sling Media team, you may want to head over to www.slingcommunity.com , as we're spending a lot of time there. We still come by AVS forum pretty regularly, but our goal is to let AVS users help each other here, which seems to be more of the site's 'mission'.

Best,

Jeremy

·
Registered
3 Posts
My apologies, just figured since Blake started this thread with a title of "Feature Requests" this would be acceptable.

·
Registered
239 Posts
No reason to apologize at all!

I know we started the thread, but we were then asked not to start threads or use AVS forum for any purposes which appeared to be 'marketing', and rather than try to figure out where the 'marketing line' is, we've simply moved all our outbound posts and activity to the www.slingcommunity.com web site.

We're still reading here, and are definitely here to help support users with problems.

Best,

Jeremy

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about PAL capability?

I saw that you published request for attending in the beta on your web site last week, i think i missed it by one day, if you are looking for volunteer don't hesitate to send me email

What is the targe date to publish the PAL capability?

Guy

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris
How about a premium service offered by SlingMedia, that allows you to view your Slingbox output from ANY computer, by going to a special SlingMedia page, and entering your exclusive box ID number and password. I.e. a web based Slingplayer application. For those times when you just don't have your computer, and you don't want to be installing Slingplayer all over the world on public computers (and osmetimes, you can't install stuff on public computers). I would think it may need to be a premium serivce, or a minimal cost, maybe even like $1 an hour, as it would require a lot of bandwidth for several people to use at once. Of course, free woul dbe nice -- But I don't think it would be very costly to set up, and just gives users and potential customers another op to use the box.

Agreed - this would be useful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there.

I came across this thing recently, searching for a solution to my needs, but it seems impossible to find a dealer that can ship international. Anybody have a suggestion?

And a question; at where I am located, the dowload speed of the internet varies a lot (down to 200kb/s, around 800 at the best), will the Slingbox do the job? I mean, will it adjust to my speed, or will it only care about the upload speed in that end?

Hope somebody can help me with this as it would really be nice to have it up for the winter olympics.

Regards,

Jorn

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorn
Hi there.

I came across this thing recently, searching for a solution to my needs, but it seems impossible to find a dealer that can ship international. Anybody have a suggestion?

And a question; at where I am located, the dowload speed of the internet varies a lot (down to 200kb/s, around 800 at the best), will the Slingbox do the job? I mean, will it adjust to my speed, or will it only care about the upload speed in that end?

Hope somebody can help me with this as it would really be nice to have it up for the winter olympics.

Regards,

Jorn
Jorn,

An international version of the Slingbox will be ready in various countries later in the year, we'll make announcements for each region as the product becomes available.

The Slingbox will perform as you are looking for - it automatically detects your network bandwidth and adjusts the video stream constantly as it changes.

Best,

Jeremy

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hey Jeremy,

Thought I'd bounce over to this thread from the Sony LF as this seems the most appropriate place to ask...as I'm increasingly impressed by the client feedback and the openness of the Sling team in terms of Slingbox merits regarding said competition.

Anyways, my big requests (as you probably could guess from my postings elsewhere):

1) 2 full sets of A/V inputs (i.e. S-Video and seperate audio) and fully integrated remote source switching. I know from reading through that others are really wanting this as well, so here's hoping... I want remote access to my satellite AND my DVD juke.

2) PSP support. A beautiful little 16:9 Wi-Fi enabled remote viewing device. I know the difficulities here, just asking.

3) Full Mac support. I know it's coming. I know. Just waiting with baited breath.

So, my big quesiton, is there any chance #1 is on it's way? Or, can two Slingboxes coexist peacefully in a single rack/network system if that's the only way for full S-video/audio/remote control without additional external switchers, UI workarounds, etc.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewalker
1) 2 full sets of A/V inputs (i.e. S-Video and seperate audio) and fully integrated remote source switching. I know from reading through that others are really wanting this as well, so here's hoping... I want remote access to my satellite AND my DVD juke.
Gotcha - you COULD do the satellite box output with Coax and DVD with S-Video. I know it's not ideal, but it would get the job done...

Quote:
2) PSP support. A beautiful little 16:9 Wi-Fi enabled remote viewing device. I know the difficulities here, just asking.
I hear ya - if we can, we will, you can count on that!

Quote:
3) Full Mac support. I know it's coming. I know. Just waiting with baited breath.
Absolutely - Q2 of this year!

Quote:
So, my big quesiton, is there any chance #1 is on it's way? Or, can two Slingboxes coexist peacefully in a single rack/network system if that's the only way for full S-video/audio/remote control without additional external switchers, UI workarounds, etc.
Yes, we have numerous users who have done exactly this.

Best,

Jeremy

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sounds great, Jeremy. I'm in line as soon as the Mac client is ready (or do you still need some beta testers ;)?). I should ask, what are the preliminary hardware/software requirements for the Mac client? I have an older laptop (667mhz DVI model G4 TiBook, runs 10.4.4 and all modern apps just fine) I'd love to run it on, but don't know if the proc is fast enough. Thanks. You can PM me if you wish...

·
Registered
759 Posts
wondering if this will be a universal binary, just got an intel imac, and ordered a macbookpro, that would be a bummer if this won't run on the newest dual core machines.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy
wondering if this will be a universal binary, just got an intel imac, and ordered a macbookpro, that would be a bummer if this won't run on the newest dual core machines.
Would be great if it was...but if its not a universal, that doesn't mean it won't run, it just will have to run through the Rosetta emulation layer and won't be as fast/optimized for the Intel hardware. Don't know exactly what kind of hit that is, but shouldn't be too bad from the talk so far (Rosetta is supposed to be pretty efficient).

A Question to Sling/Sling users in the know: Is there a list of supported components/devices somewhere (i.e. what devices have remote codes, etc.)? I was looking for it on the website and didn't see it...but I could've easily missed it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quote:
A Question to Sling/Sling users in the know: Is there a list of supported components/devices somewhere (i.e. what devices have remote codes, etc.)? I was looking for it on the website and didn't see it...but I could've easily missed it.
Shane,

Go to the Sling Media web site, click on support, then search for "Sony" - you should see an article entitled "List of Device IR Codes".

Note that this list is actually a subset of all supported devices, as there are many the Slingbox will work with but we aren't aware of them all (especially in the DVD player category).

If you have a particular device in mind, please don't hesitate to ask!

Best,

Jeremy

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thanks, Jeremy. Checked it out.

FYI: I discovered that your website doesn't display search results properly when viewed in the latest Safari (and, btw, latest patched Mac OS 10.4.5) for some reason...that's why I hadn't initially seen the proper links. I tried it in Firefox and it worked fine. I need to just migrate my browsing/links over to Firefox...ah, old habits.

Follow-up after surveying the device remote codes available--I didn't see remote support for either Dish's 942 HD DVR receiver nor the Sony DVP-CX995V DVD jukebox. These (and in the case of the 942, the newly released 622 is hopefully soon to be an upgrade--not sure how close the remote codes are) are the devices I will want to use w/ the Slingbox. I don't know if there are codes for similar devices that would cover these or if new remotes would need be created--if the latter is the case, consider this a 'formal' request :).

281 - 298 of 298 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.