Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadserious
As I was just watching some poker on my SlingPlayer, I realized that I could not easily see the holecards during an intense all-in moment.

It would be really cool if I could hold my cursor over a section of the player and get a zoomed popup of a small section of the screen. As I move my cursor, the zoom follows... much like a magnifying glass. It would save me from having to swap to fullscreen mode all of the time when a quick detailed inspection of the screen is needed.
Have you tried using the magnifier built into XP? The magnified view for a video feed is a little choppy, but could work for your application. See Microsoft's tutorial on using it here .

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please forgive me if I end up asking for things which are already on the way, or already beaten to death. I'm just starting to learn about the product, and thought I'd give an idea of what I'm hoping to find with it. (and, if I mention something that does exist, is a beaten topic, or has a known solution, please let me know)

So, what I have now is 2 series-2 DirecTivos (one in the living room, one in the bedroom). We also have an office with our computer (an iMac). Oh, and, we're wireless.

What I would like is to be able to watch any shows on "any monitor" in the house. So, if my DirecTivo in the bedroom recorded it, I want to be able to watch it in the livingroom. Or on my iMac. Or, maybe, on a cheap 3rd TV in the kitchen.

Tivo offers something like this for series-2 units, but as far as I know, this has not been offered for DirecTivos. And, even if it was, it wouldn't cover my computer, nor a "cheap tv in the kitchen". (and because it doesn't cover DirecTivos, I don't expect the recent FCC ruling that was mentioned here to help me)

1) Mac Support (I hear it's coming, but when?) -- and, really, I'd like to see a client for FreeBSD and Linux, as well. I understand why you might not want to go open source for the client, but if you wont, it would be nice to cover a good range of platforms instead of just the big 2.

2) More than 1 user on the local LAN. Skimming this forum, I saw something about only allowing 1 connection at a time. If I'm in the kitchen, and my wife is in the office, I'd like us to both be able to watch the same show, from the same source, at the same time. I'm not at all concerned about WAN limitations, so if the "1 user" limit is just for WAN's, that's fine with me.

3) A thin client. It would be nice to have a small box with a network jack, an IR remote control, and video/audio out, so that I can put a TV on it, and use that instead of a PC for viewing my Slingbox content. It should be able to connect to multiple Slingboxes. (note: if you had an open source client, even just a light weight one that only does the viewing and controlling part, and not the configuring part, then people could build their own thin clients if you don't want to build them)

4) Slingbox-to-Slingbox viewing. I'd like to have the ability to use a Slingbox not just as the server, but also as a client. That means it would have to add an IR port and a remote control, to substitute in for the virtual remote-control (so that you can control the remote TV through the local Slingbox). Then I could watch the remote TV/slingbox on the device connected to my local Slingbox. Though, I suppose I could have the slingbox local TV connection go to nothing, and have the TVs all hooked up to the "thin client" in #3, if the thin client existed.

5) Recommended networking products: the PDF guides on the web site say "go to our support page for info on recommended routers". Can't find it. Where is that document? And does it tell me which "wireless video game acaptor"s I can use (mentioned in the user guide), and _how_ I set them up with the Slingbox? I think this would be enough of a substitute for native wireless support.

·
Registered
152 Posts
For the Pocket PC client, do you plan on supporting the hardware video accelerators in some of the higher end models? When the freeware video player Betaplayer added support for the Intel 2700G in the Dell Axim 50v they got 2-3x the performance over using the x-scale processor alone for the video decoding.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzin
Please forgive me if I end up asking for things which are already on the way, or already beaten to death. I'm just starting to learn about the product, and thought I'd give an idea of what I'm hoping to find with it. (and, if I mention something that does exist, is a beaten topic, or has a known solution, please let me know)

So, what I have now is 2 series-2 DirecTivos (one in the living room, one in the bedroom). We also have an office with our computer (an iMac). Oh, and, we're wireless.

What I would like is to be able to watch any shows on "any monitor" in the house. So, if my DirecTivo in the bedroom recorded it, I want to be able to watch it in the livingroom. Or on my iMac. Or, maybe, on a cheap 3rd TV in the kitchen.

Tivo offers something like this for series-2 units, but as far as I know, this has not been offered for DirecTivos. And, even if it was, it wouldn't cover my computer, nor a "cheap tv in the kitchen". (and because it doesn't cover DirecTivos, I don't expect the recent FCC ruling that was mentioned here to help me)
While you could try to create a network to replicate the Home Media Option available for standalone DirecTivos, the Slingbox won't give you all of its functionality and will certainly require additional feature upgrades from Sling. Although it does what the HMO doesn't in terms of real time remote viewing, especially away from home. DirecTV has chosen not to offer this functionality in their built-in Tivos. You can go the hacking route, but some folks aren't all that comfortable with that. There is another option, however.

DirecTV announced a new product that is expected to launch by the end of the year (we'll see about that :) ). It's called the Home Media Center. The upside is that it will do for DirecTV what the HMO option has done for standalone Series 2 Tivos. The downside is that you'll need new hardware and that it's not made by the Tivo folks, so it may not be as friendly as the Tivo interface so many folks love (we'll have to wait and see on that).

The model is server/client using a centralized box with storage and reportedly 6 tuners (4 Sat and 2 OTA - can only record 4 at once). Distribtion to thin clients is unclear, but may very well be coax as opposed to ethernet. The company who makes the system (Ucentric - owned by Motorola) had it in development for Voom and demonstrated it at CES I think (may have been CEDIA, I can't remember exactly). In that implementation, they were using coax to distribute to existing Voom receivers that could become clients. This alleviates the problem of forcing sat installers to get used to ethernet cabling if they don't already do it.

Any connected client will be able to access any of the content stored on the central server as well as the various tuners for live content. At launch time, the clients will only be able to support SD but HD capable clients will be available later. The server itself will have HD outputs for direct connection to a display and have all the playback functions that the clients do. Each server can supposedly support 4 clients and there was some mention of the ability to string servers together to increase storage capacity, simulatneous client support and simultaneous tuner recording support.

You can see DirecTV's press release on it here . You can also search the Tivo community forums for more info including posts from folks who got to see it in person at CES and talk with the reps that were on hand.

Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have not seen this addressed yet.....I have a system that runs 6 monitors (Stock Market trading). I only seem to be able to run the Slingplayer on one (primary) monitor. Attempting to move the sling player to another monitor drops the picture, but the sound still comes in. Not sure if this would be my video drivers, or is by design.

If this is not a current feature, I would like to request multiple monitor support.

My system:

Dual 2.6 Xeons

1gb Ram

Dual Head Nvidia (AGP)

Quad Head Matrox G200 (PCI)

Thank you for a great product,

casnev

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by casnev
I have not seen this addressed yet.....I have a system that runs 6 monitors (Stock Market trading). I only seem to be able to run the Slingplayer on one (primary) monitor. Attempting to move the sling player to another monitor drops the picture, but the sound still comes in. Not sure if this would be my video drivers, or is by design.

If this is not a current feature, I would like to request multiple monitor support.

My system:

Dual 2.6 Xeons

1gb Ram

Dual Head Nvidia (AGP)

Quad Head Matrox G200 (PCI)

Thank you for a great product,

casnev

hey casnev,

we have been improving on multimon support...but it still is a bit odd on some machines. i think some of it has to do with windows (note: i have tried to move a tv window (built-in tv tuner card, not sling) around using windows xp media center, and have had even bigger problems than what i see with slingplayer with a multimon...no excuses here, just wanted to point out that this may be a windows situation that we can't overcome (but i bet we can).

it actually should still work for you...i have noticed a similar 'no video' issue wtih some multimon systems (my laptop connected to a 2nd monitor at work for instance)...though not with others.

in all occasions however, i have been able to either: a) wait for a bit and video shows up; or b) stop the stream and restart it and everything is fine.

have you tried either of those? keep us posted?

thanks for buying a slingbox! we're glad you are enjoying it...

--Blake

·
Registered
5 Posts
- I would like the Player to have a pop up menu of channel choices.

- I would like to create a pop up list of channel favorites - I watch maybe 15 of 100 channels on my cable service - I'd like to popup favorites.

- Skins for the player

- I'd like to be able to change the brightness in the Player (but not my whole PC screen): some shows are too dark.

- PAL support

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
While you could try to create a network to replicate the Home Media Option available for standalone DirecTivos, the Slingbox won't give you all of its functionality and will certainly require additional feature upgrades from Sling.
It may not give me ALL of its functionality, but with that "thin client" or "sling to sling" idea available, it would give me the only part of Home Media Option that I care about: viewing my shows on any screen in the house, regardless of where it was recorded. (and, really, if I had the time and determination, I could probably build that on my own, with either a cheap PC or a Mac-mini (after the Mac version of the client comes out))

The rest of Home Media Option (and, it seems, Home Media Center, for that matter) is not at all interesting to me.

Quote:
DirecTV announced a new product that is expected to launch by the end of the year (we'll see about that :) ). It's called the Home Media Center.
So, they want me to buy an entirely new receiver system, just so I can have the same functionality I could have now, if I just had Home Media Option available to me? And in the latter case, I would just have to pay an activation key instead of buying new equipment?

Yeah, I'll rush right out and buy one of those. Right after pigs fly outta my butt.

I'd much rather pay Sling $250 * 2 (+ 2 thin clients) than send more money to DirecTV equipment when they can't even pull their heads out of their posteriors and fully activate the products they're already selling. Plus, a sling isn't tied to a particular data provider, whereas DirecTV provided solutions are. I'd rather move away from that problem than embrace it.

Even without the sling option, I would rather throw away my 2 DirecTivos and buy 4 series 2 Tivos and some receivers, than trust DirecTV to do something sensible, given their track record. The only thing I like about them is the programming data they feed me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Given that many people have setup problems with the networking side of things. If the slingbox was capable of overlaying on the video some of the basic IP addresses, dns,info etc at bootup it would help when the less tech savvy try and install.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Blake

On the ir profile for the panasonic dvd recorders dmre80h it doesn't appear all the remote functions are mirrored, the omission I have the problem with is the button that switches between the hd and dvd functions. Is there a key combination or menu item that does this. If not can this be easily added.

Also the input select, this would help people trying to use the slingbox with a video camera for security, the video camera could be connected to one of the sources on the dvdrecorder and remotely switched. This actually is how my combinations are set up.

I have the slingobx connected to the output from the dvd recorder, but the dvd-recorder is connected to the svideo out on the tivo. One ir blaster controls the tivo the other controls the dvd recorder. To switch sources requires going through the admin setup wizard on the slingbox , a pain but still not that difficult.

Also

On the replaytv there doesn't appear to be any way to get to the replay guide vs. the channel guide very easily. Instead you have to scroll through the menu.

I've noticed some folks have been asking for pictures and quality samples of various configurations.

I personally will be posting some on my website this week, I have a sony m1 that takes low bitrate but beautiful mp4 video. I'd do it sooner if I didn't have a job and kids, but I should have them up by the weekend.

I have examples of replaytv, tivo, and dvd recorder setups , with cable sources.

Also combinations of replaytv / dvdrecorder and tivo /dvdrecorder using the single ir blaster.

I do not appear to be exeriencing any of the connection problems others are having, from what I can tell remote access seems to work , it would be nice if you put up somekind of testsite though. over my internal lan I get somewhere around 800 - 900 in bandwidth.

If I really get some time I will try to do a full review, I also have the sage.tv , beyound tv and microsoft media extender products.

Although video quality wise these yeild somewhat better quality its at the expense of bandwidth and convience. They of course require a pc dedicated to them. In fact to get acceptable performance from any of these require you dedicate a pc for the application.

For instance, my media center pc is used for nothing else other than capturing and recording video.

A second server is dedicated to serving the the media adaptors and serving web pages.

Before the slingboxes I was going to dedicate a 3rd server for running btw or sagetv.

Slingmedia you are saving me on electric bills.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gagorder,

Thank you, was not aware of this. I'll try it next opportunity!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD123
- I'd like to be able to change the brightness in the Player (but not my whole PC screen): some shows are too dark.
I experience the same thing as MikeD123... sometimes the video playing in SlingPlayer is too dark to discern just what's going on. A SlingPlayer window-specific brightness control would be a nice feature.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd like to put in an anti-feature request.

In reading a lot of threads a lot of people have mentioned an activex control for one reason or another. I'm requesting that you don't do anything with activex. Many people have already found the disadvantages of using IE over a mozilla or opera browser. Why use a technology that binds you to one product when you could chose one that lets the user decide what browser to use (inc. IE).

I do agree it would be nice to have an app that is more universal but my request is to make it in java or flash or something that isn't tied to soley IE.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A extremely simply solution for the people that want to view their own live video is...

Buy a cheapo camera and a modulator. Modulate you video signal over one of your unused TV channels and watch it with your slingbox.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzin
It may not give me ALL of its functionality, but with that "thin client" or "sling to sling" idea available, it would give me the only part of Home Media Option that I care about: viewing my shows on any screen in the house, regardless of where it was recorded. (and, really, if I had the time and determination, I could probably build that on my own, with either a cheap PC or a Mac-mini (after the Mac version of the client comes out))

The rest of Home Media Option (and, it seems, Home Media Center, for that matter) is not at all interesting to me.

So, they want me to buy an entirely new receiver system, just so I can have the same functionality I could have now, if I just had Home Media Option available to me? And in the latter case, I would just have to pay an activation key instead of buying new equipment?

Yeah, I'll rush right out and buy one of those. Right after pigs fly outta my butt.

I'd much rather pay Sling $250 * 2 (+ 2 thin clients) than send more money to DirecTV equipment when they can't even pull their heads out of their posteriors and fully activate the products they're already selling. Plus, a sling isn't tied to a particular data provider, whereas DirecTV provided solutions are. I'd rather move away from that problem than embrace it.

Even without the sling option, I would rather throw away my 2 DirecTivos and buy 4 series 2 Tivos and some receivers, than trust DirecTV to do something sensible, given their track record. The only thing I like about them is the programming data they feed me.
Well, you certainly have every right to do what you want and my post was just an alternative suggestion. But before you take the leap, there are a few things to consider. First, DirecTV will be moving everyone (DirecTivo and standard STB users) to new hardware at some point. It may be a while, but they will be pulling the MPEG-2 plug eventually as they switch over to MPEG-4 streams. Secondly, while the current Tivo agreement that DirecTV has will be honored by DirecTV, they will not be extending it. So, after 2007, there are serious questions as to what support will be available for DirecTivo boxes. Additionally, with the HMC option coming out, you can legitimately ask what additional features DirecTV will bring to the DirecTivo boxes.

The other issue is how you can do what you want right now. I love the Slingbox, but there are other ways of doing what you want for less money and still get the desired result of watching and controlling either DirecTivo from any TV in the house. You could use the RF output of the DirecTivo boxes to feed a coax distribution network and from there just use an IR send/receive solution (there are wireless and wired options for this) to control the Tivos. There are also solutions out there for modulation of the composite feed, inlcuding routing of IR signals. You can see such a solution here .

Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
i was the first buyer in orange,ct compusa... set it up through directv samsung box, but it also outputs to a media center. i really would love(i am sure others too!) to access my recorded tv. since sling is using much microsoft tech, i asssume...that this feature is in the works??? a heads up would be appreciated.

frank

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
To those who wonder if content owners and providers really see placeshifting as a possible threat, here's a story today from Reuters that specifically talks about the Slingbox and placeshifting as they relate to content use and abuse.

Jeff

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
To those who wonder if content owners and providers really see placeshifting as a possible threat, here's a story today from Reuters that specifically talks about the Slingbox and placeshifting as they relate to content use and abuse.

Jeff
The supreme court didn't seem to want to give up innovation to please the content providers, I don't completely agree with the ruling but it did seem to be sensitive to innovation.

The slingbox is new technology, it has the potential to be the next vcr, if somehow the content providers would find a way to outlaw this type of technology I have a feeling the shaky relationship between the consumer electronic industry and the content providers would fall apart.

Also the public is well aware of the capabilities now, it will be very hard to outlaw this stuff without making a lot of folks mad. Politicians go along with the content providers for two major reasons

1) the revenue they generate is a signifcant portion of gnp

2) its usually politically safe

if point 2 disappears they might not be so accomodating

·
Registered
1 Posts
First of all, like most of the other people, thanks for a great tool! i travel all over the world and have been frustrated that i was never able to watch the series that i had recorded at home because i was never there long enough to watch them and it is a real pain to record to dvd... this has the potential to solve this for me... however, i have a dish 721 and 921 which operate by rf remotes and i have tried all codes to get the ir to work with no success. It would be great if i could have an rf blaster that could be configured with remote codes as to differentiate which box i wanted to hit.

Blake- any plans under way????

41 - 60 of 298 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.