Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake_k
hi krypttic,

all we have said is that we plan to have mac support in the coming months. i can't say anything more than that at this time.
Any update on the Win2K release date(alpha/beta)? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake_k
now, what i really don't get is: why would you buy the slingbox if you knew it didn't support the Mac? or was it not clearly described to you (or perhaps someone misinformed you)? helpful to understand...
Optimism and Anticipation. There was a statement that Mac support was on the way, and they really wanted the device. So their anticipation of the potential to have such a great device caused them to leap to the optimistic interpretation: they know they have mac support on the way, so that probably means it's coming REAL soon.

Of course, anticipation also leads to impatience. And optimism can lead to disappointment if your hopes are over-inflated.

While that is largely the fault of the listener/consumer, a company can help the situation by setting less ambiguous expectations. Let the public know what your expected date is for supporting a given platform, and what stage you're in for that support. I would rather be told "September 2005" or "1Q2006", and have that date slip when things go wrong ... than just get told "some day". An incorrect, but honest, estimate is better than no estimate at all. Even if the estimate has to be changed.

And some statement of progress would be nice too. Like "we're still searching for a mac developer", "negotiating with/hiring developer", "in design", "in development" or "in alpha testing", etc. Or even "on hold pending research".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzin
Optimism and Anticipation. There was a statement that Mac support was on the way, and they really wanted the device. So their anticipation of the potential to have such a great device caused them to leap to the optimistic interpretation: they know they have mac support on the way, so that probably means it's coming REAL soon.

Of course, anticipation also leads to impatience. And optimism can lead to disappointment if your hopes are over-inflated.

While that is largely the fault of the listener/consumer, a company can help the situation by setting less ambiguous expectations. Let the public know what your expected date is for supporting a given platform, and what stage you're in for that support. I would rather be told "September 2005" or "1Q2006", and have that date slip when things go wrong ... than just get told "some day". An incorrect, but honest, estimate is better than no estimate at all. Even if the estimate has to be changed.

And some statement of progress would be nice too. Like "we're still searching for a mac developer", "negotiating with/hiring developer", "in design", "in development" or "in alpha testing", etc. Or even "on hold pending research".
I agree with providing more information. If you can be helpful, that's great. But I disagree with the date. If he said "early 2006" that approximate date will later turn into a promise and if it isn't delivered on my July 06, it would be a disaster.

Not trying to rain on the parade but providing dates unless you are absolutely sure has the potential of turning out badly.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensteele
I agree with providing more information. If you can be helpful, that's great. But I disagree with the date. If he said "early 2006" that approximate date will later turn into a promise and if it isn't delivered on my July 06, it would be a disaster.

Not trying to rain on the parade but providing dates unless you are absolutely sure has the potential of turning out badly.
I agree with this. Just look at some of the comments on the original Slingbox release date thread before Blake got involved as we approached the 1st half of 2005 date even though they delivered as promised.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenger
Any update on the Win2K release date(alpha/beta)? Thanks!
We are in the earliest stage of Win2K beta right now, and will have a more formal beta program later this month. When we are ready for it, we'll announce that we are seeking some software beta testers to get involved and make sure the build is up to snuff!

Thanks for your patience. We are eager to get the build out, but don't want to compromise the quality in our haste.

Best,

Jeremy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
I agree with this. Just look at some of the comments on the original Slingbox release date thread before Blake got involved as we approached the 1st half of 2005 date even though they delivered as promised.
I went ahead and purchased the Slingbox (even though I have a Mac), because so many devices claim to not work with OS X, but do in fact work perfectly. I'll give you some examples: Sprint PCS phones, Linksys Cable Modems and Routers, Windows Media Files in Quicktime (usuable with WMV player now), Firewire video recording (now made possible by Apple's developer tools, and VLC player), most mice, keyboards, and external hard drives.

I suppose I held the false assumption that you, like other companies, just chose not to test with the Mac platform, but that it would work fine. After all, shouldn't this work like any other video stream just like the ESPN and CNN.com video streams that also aren't "supposed" to work with my Mac? Isn't there some way I can type the URL of the stream into VLC player and get it to work? After all, there are other options for this functionality available for Mac users, unfortunately they're complicated ones. I thought a $250 box would make it easier.

My optimism and expectations for this device working for me weren't so much based on official support as much as the possibility that it would work unofficially, either through a third party program (Gimp Print and Silverfast come to mind for all the unsupported scanners and printers under OS X), or through a beta test from Slingmedia.

If you've pledged future Mac support, I get the impression that you have some plan as to when it will come. If you haven't thought it through now, then it will probably amount to no more than vaporware in the future. Regardless, I'm sure someone out there (even if not within the company) has this working on their Macintosh. I'd appreciate some guidance from those that have gotten it to work, and I'd like some better information than "future Mac support."

Blake, that's why I bought the Slingbox. When you consider this is a fairly cutting-edge product, you shouldn't expect that everyone who buys it is doing so for the recipe on the box. You have worked with other users in this discussion to get this box working for some rather innovative things that I'm sure you didn't envision when you released the product--I just wanna watch TV on my Mac... how hard should THAT be?

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I saw this at CES, but do to the completely overwhelming number of product there, I overlooked it. Well I got one yesterday and all I can say is fantastic!

It worked right from the start. Configuring my router for it was easy. The quality of video is what I expected. It ain't HD after all. For my particular use, this is exactly what I had a need for. Attached to my Replay, the remote control response is a little slow, but well within the exceptible. All things considered, it works far better than what I would have expected. I've tried it with computers on my LAN, my wireless laptop and my main computer at work and all worked as advertised. I can see Slingbox being categorized as a "geeky" early adopter type of thing, but I would disagree ..... as I look at future trends, this thing has as much potential as the early non-crippled Replays (sorry Tivo guys, Replay rules!, grin...). Considering that non-crippled Replays' have access to Poopli, makes the Slingbox even more powerful. This is probably the powerful combination (Replay and the Slingbox). Being able to control my satellite receiver, which is also wired into my Replay, is just too good to pass up as a future option. So if you have a 5XXX series Replay, you need a Slingbox. Cutting edge to cutting edge so to speak.....

I'm hooking up one of my closed circuit cameras that surround my home with a RCA splitter and feeding it into one of the inputs on the Replay to be able to access the camera remotely. Although I have remote controlled cameras, the ability to activate the camera input and start the Replay to record this fixed camera as an option is a cool extra. As far as feature requests, there are a few as per my experience with the Slingbox.

1) The ability to access and control two devices. Mucho, mucho important.

2) The ability to have the TV screen infinitely sizeable.

3) The ablility to have a TV screen that it has no controls unless you roll your mouse over it. To size it to only a couple of square inches with no controls visible, would allow you to run it in a corner of the monitor without negatively affecting the screen workspace. (Effectively a small visible no-margin box). Important if you use a smaller monitor.

4) To be able to input IR codes (by learning or direct input) which are used with nonstandard devices.

5) Although I can see only about a hundred legal issues associated with the idea of recording the streamed signal, it would be a nice thing to have. I can only suppose that's coming whether or not Slingbox provides it.

6) Fix the web site!!!!! (for downloads, direct chat for support, purchases, etc.)

7) How about a financial investment in Slingbox or stock purchase?

In short, this is a well executed product and well worth the 250.00 bucks if you have a need for such an item. Of course, when I got rid of my Tivo and got the Replay, I had no idea that I needed it as badly as I did. This thing might do the same for you.

One last thing, without question, AVS needs a dedicated forum for the Slingbox. It's gonna' be big!

·
Registered
5 Posts
In addition to the feature requests I noted in an earlier post, I would like to be able to pause the video in the player without actually stopping the slingbox.

I use the payer docked on the RHS of my PC monitor. I would like to pause the video (e.g. during TV advertisement breaks) so I don't get distracted while doing other work on the PC. If I minimize the Player then my other windows all resize to fill the gap (which bugs me). If I stop the player then I need to sign back in when I resume. I would prefer to leave the player on the RHS and just mute the audio and also pause the video. I have been using the mute button OK but the video is just too distracting....please give us pause.

·
Registered
239 Posts
bentl1 - GREAT feedback, thanks so much!

MikeD123 - when you say you "need to sign back in" when you resume, what exactly do you mean by that? can I assume you have saved your password in your profile? if so, you should be able to freely start/stop the SlingPlayer and leave it docked the whole time (as many people do here in the office).

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the "automatically reconnect..." feature? it's one of my personal favorites...

Best,

Jeremy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoeman
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the "automatically reconnect..." feature? it's one of my personal favorites...

I use auto reconnect and I have my password saved, so I can connect and disconnect at will, and I never need to signon. :cool:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD123
In addition to the feature requests I noted in an earlier post, I would like to be able to pause the video in the player without actually stopping the slingbox.

I use the payer docked on the RHS of my PC monitor. I would like to pause the video (e.g. during TV advertisement breaks) so I don't get distracted while doing other work on the PC. If I minimize the Player then my other windows all resize to fill the gap (which bugs me). If I stop the player then I need to sign back in when I resume. I would prefer to leave the player on the RHS and just mute the audio and also pause the video. I have been using the mute button OK but the video is just too distracting....please give us pause.
It sounds like what your are actually asking for instead of pausing during commercials is a form of the audio mute button that also blanks the video stream. This would blank the video picture but keep you connected.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've read in the forums somewhere you are working on an admin login that can kickoff someone else watching your stream. I would like to see another level of viewer, ie one with view only permissions (not able to control the remote at all).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
that's a good one mrRobinson...now, the challenge will be: how do we implement that additional set of rules without confusing the heck out of the user. would like your thoughts...

...my initial thinking is that perhaps we have certain rules we can add to the viewer account.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenW
List the TiVo boxes all together, and in multiple categories. For example, TiVo, Philips, Hughes, DirecTV, etc. You should be able to start with what you know, and end up with a list of models that you can try.

I also have multiple TiVo boxes. From my testing it appears you use the "0" code that will operate any TiVo. This can cause a TiVo to reset to using code "0", causing no end of problems. The software should allow us to pick the code, from 0 to 9, with the default set to "0".

Also, my testing on the Philips DSR6000 IR control was not successful. I don't know how many of these there are left out there, but I expect there are a few. I keep it as a spare, and it was perfect as a dedicated box for me to use when I travel.
I am about to return my unit as I can't get my DSR6000R01 to work (dual satellite connect).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
guys: been doing some searching on the net regarding the dsr6000...it sure seems like the code 1142 should work.

KenW: have you in fact been able to get your dsr6000 to work? if so, what code?

TechieZero: have you been able to control any other piece of equipment? want to make sure that you have the ir cable fully inserted...perhaps you can unplug the ir cable and plug it back in ensure that it is FIRMLY inserted.

here is a thread i came across on avsforum that further confirms my thought that we have the code (all tivo's have seemed to use the same code based our experiences to date):

There are currently four different flavors of standard def DirecTivos:

1. Series 1 DTivos consist of the Sony SAT-T60, Philips DSR6000, and Hughes GXCEBOT. These units are identical internally. The Hughes and Philips use the same remotes whereas the Sony has a unique remote and slightly different software interface but is functionally identical to the other two models. Sony stopped marketing Tivos after the series 1 models ceased production.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
another thought...if that doesn't work, go back into setup and choose DVR / Other (not in list), then when you see a field where you can actually enter a code manually, try:

V0739

perhaps that will work.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieZero
I am about to return my unit as I can't get my DSR6000R01 to work (dual satellite connect).
TechieZero,

We absolutely have the IR code for this unit, it is S1442.

In case you aren't familiar with the steps to make this change, here's how to do it:

1. Launch SlingPlayer

2. View > Slingbox Directory

3. Edit Properties

4. Select the Slingbox Configuration tab (at the top)

5. Under Audio/Video Setup, click "Change..."

6. click Next until you see Television Source, then select Satellite

7. select DirecTV+TiVo (instead of Philips!)

8. for Device Model, select Other

9. you should see S1442 on this list. if for any reason you do not, please type it in the box under the list of codes (you must include the "S"!)

10. continue through all remaining steps

I do have confirmation this is a working code for that unit, so if after all the above steps you are not properly controlling your unit, it means your IR control cable might not be firmly plugged into your Slingbox (if you look closely on the back of the unit, the plastic must be touching!) or your IR emitters are not properly positioned on the Philips box (check the Quick Start Guide for a visual of how to do this).

Please let us know the outcome!

Best,

Jeremy

·
Registered
152 Posts
My DSR6000 works perfectly. Which remote code sets on the receiver and Slingbox are you using? On the initial Slingbox directory dialog, hit Edit Properties then look on the Information tab for the Device IR Code to see which code the SB is using. I am using Satellite:1142. Is your DSR6000 set to use remote code 0 (the default), since that is the only one Sling currently supports?

Unfortunately, if you navigate through the DVR and Satellite tree's you get to different places and the codes that work for me for the DSR6000 are under satellite rather than DVR even though it is a DVR. If you go down the DirecTV+TiVo path under Satellite you end up in the wrong place as well even though it is a DirecTV receiver with TiVo.

Here is the path I went through the A/V setup:

External Box->Composite->Satellite Receiver->Philips->DSR6000R->Single Digit without enter.

Tim

·
Registered
152 Posts
Boy that's service (three people typing an answer simultaneously)!

Jeremy -> Your #7 is interesting to me since going through Philips under Satellite receiver is where the DSR6000 is directly listed and gets the S1442 code that works for me.

Hopefully you can straighten out the device navigation for finding these combo units. I went down several wrong paths (DVR, DirecTV+TiVo) before finally looking for and finding the DSR6000 listed a simple sat receiver even though it is DirecTV+TiVo DVR.

81 - 100 of 298 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.