AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
1. Need support for Tivo remote code #'s 1 - 9. I have multiple TiVo's and change the TiVo remotes to codes other than 0. The fact that Slingbox uses code 0 works - but won't allow me to control multiple Tivo's via the different sources because code 0 controls all of them at once. Also code 0 occasionally screws up the coding selection desired on the Tivo be resetting it to 0.

2. Need support for profiles that support different remotes, channels, and video sources all for the same Slingbox. Now, making multiple profiles reprograms the existing ones and appear to be useless.

3. Need support for selecting a coaxial input DVR, VCR, etc. other than 3,4, or 5. Why not let me select my own channels? Would be great!

4. I rebroadcast my TiVo's in the house on antenna channels along with CCTV, DVD, and VCR. Would be great if, after selecting antenna as the source we could add multiple remotes to the profile besides just the antenna remote.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoeman
MikeD123 - when you say you "need to sign back in" when you resume, what exactly do you mean by that? can I assume you have saved your password in your profile? if so, you should be able to freely start/stop the SlingPlayer and leave it docked the whole time (as many people do here in the office).
No I haven't saved my password in my profile. I enter it manually each time I connect - that's all I meant by "sign back in". I will try saving it in my profile. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTSfan
It sounds like what your are actually asking for instead of pausing during commercials is a form of the audio mute button that also blanks the video stream. This would blank the video picture but keep you connected.
Yep that would work fine - I don't need to see a paused picture.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake_k
guys: been doing some searching on the net regarding the dsr6000...it sure seems like the code 1142 should work.

KenW: have you in fact been able to get your dsr6000 to work? if so, what code?

1. Series 1 DTivos consist of the Sony SAT-T60, Philips DSR6000, and Hughes GXCEBOT. These units are identical internally. The Hughes and Philips use the same remotes whereas the Sony has a unique remote and slightly different software interface but is functionally identical to the other two models. Sony stopped marketing Tivos after the series 1 models ceased production.[/i]
I gave up on the DSR6000, but I still have it running. I see TimC has his running, so I'm not sure what my problem was, but I'll be moving the unit soon, and I'll give it another try. I've been using a Hughes HDVR2 for my testing. I also have a DSR7000 and HR10-250.

TiVo's seem to multiply like rabbits. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quote:
There are currently four different flavors of standard def DirecTivos:
You are correct they are very similar. The same remote drives all of my TiVo units (I don't have a Sony). But there are two types of remotes. I have found if you use the wrong type the TiVo will adjust. You just need to hit the TiVo button twice, and the unit recognizes you have switched remotes. I need to play with it some more to see if I can find out what's happening.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenW
You are correct they are very similar. The same remote drives all of my TiVo units (I don't have a Sony). But there are two types of remotes. I have found if you use the wrong type the TiVo will adjust. You just need to hit the TiVo button twice, and the unit recognizes you have switched remotes. I need to play with it some more to see if I can find out what's happening.
not sure i follow you KenW. interested to hear more...

thx,

blake

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
that's a good one mrRobinson...now, the challenge will be: how do we implement that additional set of rules without confusing the heck out of the user. would like your thoughts...

...my initial thinking is that perhaps we have certain rules we can add to the viewer account.

First, let me clarify how I see this being used.

1. I have a slingbox. My friends have slingboxes (even if they don't they can get the software). They know the external IP needed to connect to my slingbox. I'm sitting at home and a movie is about to come on so I tell my friend "hey I have lord of the rings coming on if you want to tune in". He does so, the only problem I have with that is he can control the remote. I'd like him to be able to view only and not have the remote graphic or icon show up when he logs in with "view only". We currently do this today just he has to keep his hands off the remote buttons.

2. I'm on a trip with my family. On my TiVo are a lot of movies for my kids, Nemo, sharktale, shrek 2, etc. I want to put one on and leave them sitting in front of my laptop watching it without worrying they will start messing around and accidentally delete the movie from the box. So if I can login as a normal user, hit play, logout and then log back in with view only the movie is playing and they can't do anything to mess it up.

As far as implementation... you currently don't have usernames. You use one password (and a check box) to denote that you are logging in as admin and possibly a different password (no check) to login as a user. Well you could keep the same system but instead of the check box have radio buttons: one for admin, one for normal user, and one for view-only user.

Or when the admin logs in and is setting up the slingbox you can have a separate "manage users" dialog where he can create a username/pass combo for these levels of users.

A future benfit I see of all this too is that if you ever enable the ability to allow more than one person to see a remote stream at a time you could initially implement it so that it has to be one "view-only" user and one "normal or admin" user this way only one person controls the remote and they can't compete with each other for control of the device. Or you know having one person hitting channel up while the other is hitting channel down.

hope any of this helps...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd like to second the request for a Linux Client. Or at least a version of the W2K client that can run under Wine or vmware. Perhaps even a "view" only client and a command line remote control.

Also a Sony PSP client would be nice.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsobole
Also a Sony PSP client would be nice.
That's funny, I was thinking the same thing even though developing for that platform may be tougher than other more common ones like Windows Mobile, etc. I was walking around the house playing TW on my PSP and thinking that it would be cool to switch over to my Slingbox. I have a WiFi enabled PocketPC and will probably be getting the Samsung i730 phone once Verizon releases a camera enabled version (hopefully also upgraded to WM 2005) later this year so I'm looking forward to seeing the Slingbox stream to a handheld device.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 Feature Request:

Add closed-captioning capability. I have a hearing impairment and was disappointed when I purchased the slingbox and found there was no closed captioning. Is there anything in the works on this? Otherwise I think this is a great product (still looking forward to a windows 2000 version though also.)

·
Registered
239 Posts
steveinportland,

Yup, this is definitely on our roadmap, and will be included in a future software release. Best of all, you won't have to change your hardware at all!

Best,

Jeremy

·
Registered
7 Posts
There have been many requests for client software on a variety of operating systems, but what about the idea of a hardware client device with composite/S-video/XGA output!

This way you can watch the stream on a TV or computer monitor in another room - or another country - no computer required! Sell it with a remote control and small IR receiver.

Blake - sounds like a great potential revenue stream from a complementary device... Imagine - you could potentially sell multiple client devices for each Slingbox. I'd take four units right now at up to $150 each.

While you're at it, why not build a small LCD screen into a client device with wi-fi.

While PDA client software would be nice, why not get the money for the software and hardware on the client side.

Jason

·
Registered
21 Posts
steveinportland,

At first I was confused why you needed Close Captioning, thinking that the device you are watching would have it already. Then I realized you are probably using the Slingbox's own tuner. My head is strictly on video-in.

As a workaround, can you get input from a VCR or TV (some have video-out) that puts the captions on the screen before Slingbox sees it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by szumlanski
There have been many requests for client software on a variety of operating systems, but what about the idea of a hardware client device with composite/S-video/XGA output!
I think that's pretty much the same as my "thin client" and/or "sling-to-sling viewing" suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to be able to remotely switch between the RF & A/V inputs. Then I could have access to more content.

Also, I agree that the picture is sometimes a bit dark, especially watching movies. I'm sure it is more complicated than it seems to fix that, but it is worth noticing.

I love it! This product is now on my list of MUST-HAVE devices. Quick, simple installation & software is incredibly well scripted. Thank you for the thoughful design work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First let me say that I love the Slingbox. I first read about it in Maxim (I believe) and was waiting anxiously for it to get released. I bought one the first day it was available, and after showing it to some of my friends, they have bought them also. I think there should be a referral program.

Anyway, I think an Xbox client would be a great idea for a new Slingbox option. The Xbox is basically a Linux computer, and it has a built in ethernet port, so it should be possible in theory.

I also would love the ability to switch inputs from the guest rather than the admin login.

Lastly a possibility of having two remotes would be really beneficial. For example I have my Directv going through my DVR. With two remotes I could use both the DVR and the Directv box.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshv
1. Need support for Tivo remote code #'s 1 - 9. I have multiple TiVo's and change the TiVo remotes to codes other than 0. The fact that Slingbox uses code 0 works - but won't allow me to control multiple Tivo's via the different sources because code 0 controls all of them at once. Also code 0 occasionally screws up the coding selection desired on the Tivo be resetting it to 0.

2. Need support for profiles that support different remotes, channels, and video sources all for the same Slingbox. Now, making multiple profiles reprograms the existing ones and appear to be useless.

3. Need support for selecting a coaxial input DVR, VCR, etc. other than 3,4, or 5. Why not let me select my own channels? Would be great!

4. I rebroadcast my TiVo's in the house on antenna channels along with CCTV, DVD, and VCR. Would be great if, after selecting antenna as the source we could add multiple remotes to the profile besides just the antenna remote.

Thanks!

All you multi-Tivo folks: check out my post here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post5881806

would like you to PM me if you are up for being a guinea pig...i think we got a fix for ya.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbok
First let me say that I love the Slingbox. I first read about it in Maxim (I believe) and was waiting anxiously for it to get released. I bought one the first day it was available, and after showing it to some of my friends, they have bought them also. I think there should be a referral program.

Anyway, I think an Xbox client would be a great idea for a new Slingbox option. The Xbox is basically a Linux computer, and it has a built in ethernet port, so it should be possible in theory.

I also would love the ability to switch inputs from the guest rather than the admin login.

Lastly a possibility of having two remotes would be really beneficial. For example I have my Directv going through my DVR. With two remotes I could use both the DVR and the Directv box.

very good ideas mjbok. and thanks much for the business and referrals...we are definitely gonna put a referral program in place. i am wanting to do a few things differently with it though (something like allowing you to decide to give your friend a discount if you want instead of only letting you get points or something...not sure...just thinkin out loud).

the xbox is a great one...

can you elaborate ont he the mutliple remote thing? do you basically mean you want the ability to switch inputs and control two different things? if not, i am confused...doesn't your DVR control your Directv box?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first post, but it is a good one. I'm very interested in the idea of this product.

With a DVR, we can watch a particular show _whenever_ we want. Dimension 1.

With the Sling Box, we can watch that show _whereever_ we want. Dimension 2.

Now for a modification that would allow for entertainment's virtual 3rd dimension: Being able to watch just about _anything_ we want, whereever, whenever!

The client software needs a hack that would create an adhoc network of others running the software. The hack would give us the choice of watching the Sling Box of others that are willing to participate with this network. Each person running the software would be a node to call out to others telling other clients that you can watch on these IP addresses or IDs. It would be like the Gnutella protocol for Sling Box! Hopefully no one tries to delete my shows :)

C'mon, who's coming with me!?!

101 - 120 of 298 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.