Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTSfan
I came up with a way to handle two devices via the Slingbox remotely.

What made it work is that the Sima switch has a feature to automatically switch to the port that goes active when it detects a signal. SO, when you switch the power on via your Slingbox, it will cause the switch to send the device you are controlling with the IR emitter to the Slingbox.
Won't work for me since I use multiple Tivos, all of which are always sending a signal...

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
First and foremost I would love a PDA version which works on the Palm 650.

Secondly I would like to see a web based interface so I can watch without installing the client (much like how GoToMyPC works) so when things happen (such as another bombing in London happens like happened this morning) I can get online and see whats going on no matter where I am.

I would also like to see some sort of switching built in. I have both cable and satellite and would like to hook them both up to the Slingbox, cable tv via COAX and Satellite via the AV inputs. I would like to be able to switch between the inputs from remote (A button marked Cable TV, another button marked Satellite (Or make it editible so a customer can label the button for DVD player, VCR, Cable Box etc). I assume this could easily be done via a software update.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
we would like to hear the specific use cases/reasons people want this (e.g. "i have a work pc that does not allow me to load apps onto it' vs 'i want to be able to access my slingbox from a kiosk in an internet cafe while on a business trip in iceland")
Blake - the most obvious is that I want to show off my Slingbox when I am at a freinds house - seeing is believing, and the best way to sell on a word-of-mouth basis. On a practical note, a web interface should work in ALL browsers. Don't forget about us Opera users...

Quote:
I would also like to see some sort of switching built in. I have both cable and satellite and would like to hook them both up to the Slingbox, cable tv via COAX and Satellite via the AV inputs. I would like to be able to switch between the inputs from remote (A button marked Cable TV, another button marked Satellite (Or make it editible so a customer can label the button for DVD player, VCR, Cable Box etc). I assume this could easily be done via a software update.
This is a biggie. Seems almost impossible that switching isn't already built in... I have DTV and cable at home, but I also would like to hook up a CCTV camera to the composite input. Now the ultimate would be a "multiplexer" that lets me watch all three sources simultaneously.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehuna
When changing the video source the last screen is the "Channel Changing" screen. Unfortunately, you only allow 2 digits in the textbox, from 2 to 99.

DishNetwork Satellite starts at 100 at many people don't have their local channels mapped (e.g. in the Bay Area 2 is 8221, KTVU, etc...).

To really test if the channel mapping is properly working it would be great if you allowed 3 or even 4 digits in that textbox.
ehuna,

Its a good observation. What we learned during development and through our beta testing was this:

* if the Slingbox could successfully tune to a 2-digit channel, it can also tune to a 3- or 4-digit channel.

* if the Slingbox could successfully tune to a 3-digit channel, it does NOT necessarily mean it could change to a 2-digit channel

Thus our implementation. Have you found an IR code with your DISH receiver which proves our findings incorrect? We'd definitely make the change if we found users are having problems with it...

Best,

Jeremy

·
Registered
346 Posts
Three things I'd love to see...

First: support for higher bandwidths. The box seems to max out at 800Kbps and while it looks good... maximized on a 1900x1200 laptop screen you can see ALL the artifacting. If the box could send out a 1.4Mbps stream that would be AWESOME.

Second : More tweakability for network settings such as MTU, etc etc.

Third : PICTURE CONTROLS! PLEASE! Not all video cards have video brightness, contrast and color adjustments.

·
Registered
239 Posts
kanebear,

1) we will have this in the next software release, coming out very soon

2) can you give some specific examples of what you would like to see? this is something we're looking into, so now's a great time for input...

3) on the roadmap, will happen in a near-future (although not the very next) release!

Thanks!

Jeremy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llogan
Won't work for me since I use multiple Tivos, all of which are always sending a signal...
So when you aren't watching the Tivos the signal is being sent to to other devices so it has to be left on all the time?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well they have to be on all of the time so that they record content. Additionally, yes, these units are in a space that gets used by other people as well and as such (if I'm not using it, the units might be needed by my tenants).

Bottom line: I need a solution that allows me to at least change inputs on an AV receiver/AV Switch, if nothing else. This would still mean I'd need to manually change the 'source' device in the configuration to properly control it, but I'm willing to accept that administrative overhead for the moment until they figure out an easier way to switch controls of your video source devices.

In effect, there are two components:

AV Switching: Switching from one device to another

Component Control: Controlling the specific video input device you want to watch

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoeman
kanebear,

1) we will have this in the next software release, coming out very soon

2) can you give some specific examples of what you would like to see? this is something we're looking into, so now's a great time for input...

3) on the roadmap, will happen in a near-future (although not the very next) release!

Thanks!

Jeremy
Well, I've got the beta and it does help on the bandwidth but I seem to run into a hardware limitation in that I CANNOT get more than 800Kbps out of the box no matter what I do. I called support and they pretty much confirmed what I thought... it's a hardware limitation and the thing cannot spit out data faster than that. It's a shame because with lighter compression for local use the picture could truly be excellent. Also, what's the High-Res support about?? THAT looks tasty.

I mention the lack of IP parameter adjustability as I am having an issue where I'm only able to achieve 400Kbps over the 'net to a remote client no matter what bandwidth I have available downstream AND upstream. I have 1.5Mbps upstream bandwidth and have verified 1200Kbps real world upstream on other devices via large file transfers from my home. I have a 6Mbps symmetrical connection here at the office and have even tried hosting the Slingbox here for testing. No luck. Thus, the issue with the Slingbox is a mystery to me. I can only assume that it's a TCP/IP issue.

Additionally, for those wanting to run the box over a VPN (or even DSL users), the default Maximum Transmission Unit or packet size of 1500 bytes won't work without fragmentation. MTU is the only setting I can really think of needing but I'm sure others who know more about networking than I can chime in.

Other functionality I can think of that MIGHT be nice but is pie in the sky is to have a sort of TiVO functionality for the Slingbox for those that don't have 'em. If it would be possible to have a DVR 'client' running on a PC the slingbox could provide video that could simply be streamed from the PC as opposed to the Slingbox. The Slingbox would send it's stream to the 'DVR' for recording. Scheduling would be via a web interface with a program guide. Obviously live TV couldn't be viewed while recording (I doubt the Slingbox could handle outputting the same stream to the 'DVR' and the user at the same time.) You'd have to encrypt the files to make sure they only worked on that PC to satisfy rights issues but by doing so you can still stick to the 'me2me' philosophy.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Some have reported much better bandwidth using the beta. I did not find this to be the case, I assume because I am viewing the stream on a 1.2 GHz Thinkpad. I believe I read in one of the threads that slower computers will not reach these higher bitrates.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm using the Slingbox on a 2.13Ghz Pentium M Dell XPS 2 laptop. That definitely doesn't have a power issue. The 3.2Ghz Piv box here at the office isn't the best but it too shouldn't have an issue. I'm going to go buy another box and test it. Could be a defective ethernet controller or something intermittant.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone know where I could get additional IR cables for the Slingbox? Or better yet a cable that has 4 IR blaster heads instead of 2?

I currently have one head of the IR cable controlling my ReplayTV, while the second controls the Satellite receiver. This works great and I can switch between the two without problems.

That said I bought a Sima SVS-4 Audio/Video Automatic Component Selector (thanks to another thread here on AVS), and I'd like to be able to control my DVD and my (modded) Xbox.

Anyone know if I can get such a cable at Radio Shack? What's the model? I'm good with a soldering iron so I don't mind hacking two cables together if needed.

I'm in San Mateo, California, if anyone knows of any local shops.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehuna
Does anyone know where I could get additional IR cables for the Slingbox?
Whatever your intention, be aware that it seems *most* IR emitters are 3.5mm. Thanks to almost useless Sling Media tech support on this matter through both phone and email (and yes I can easily substantiate that remark) I determined that the Slingbox receptor takes a 2.5mm (or 3/32 inch) connector. Therefore, all one needs to do is find the standard IR emitter one wishes (for example, one of these: http://www.smarthome.com/8172s.html ) and then use this 1/8" to 3/32" mono adapter from Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...D327&hp=search .

I just hooked everything up and it works just fine. I needed to get rid of the hideous Sling-supplied IR emitter because it was bulky, its adhesive was horrible, and it covered the entire ReplayTV IR receiving window making it difficult to control the ReplayTV with its own remote. The above fixed the issue for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhargr03
[...] and then use this 1/8" to 3/32" mono adapter from Radio Shack [...]
Thanks mhargr03, that's very helpful. Quick question: if I buy two IR transmitters can I hook them up with a "double" 1/8" to 3/32" mono adapter? Do they exist and would it work?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Good question...I didn't see a double 1/8" in to a single 3/32" out, but they have some double adapters for other sizes so I may have missed it or it may be available from another source. As to whether it will work or not...I couldn't answer that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjackson
"The box seems to max out at 800Kbps"

I get rates just over 1000Kbps, but averages in the 900s.

hjackson
Hey hjackson and others: if you are interested, the public beta of the SlingPlayer goes up to 1400Kbps now...

http://www.slingmedia.com/updates.php4

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanebear
Well, I've got the beta and it does help on the bandwidth but I seem to run into a hardware limitation in that I CANNOT get more than 800Kbps out of the box no matter what I do. I called support and they pretty much confirmed what I thought... it's a hardware limitation and the thing cannot spit out data faster than that. It's a shame because with lighter compression for local use the picture could truly be excellent. Also, what's the High-Res support about?? THAT looks tasty.

Hey kanebear,

couple things:

1) how is your slingbox hooked up? wired ethernet to your router? powerline? wireless bridge?

2) how about your client pc? 802.11b/g/a or ethernet?

3) with the beta, i routinely get 1300-1400Kbps over ethernet. and i think i get typically 800-1100Kbps on my wireless 8011.b network (yes, 802.11b).

4) regarding your out-of-home limitations of 400Kbps, i think you may be right regarding tcp/ip stack...not sure, but it is a hunch...we are currently digging in and optimizing the tcp stack, so we will know soon if there is more performance we can squeeze out there..

cheers,

blake

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake_k
Hey hjackson and others: if you are interested, the public beta of the SlingPlayer goes up to 1400Kbps now...
Blake, I have not seen an increase in the streaming rate after installing the beta. It's still around 800 kbps even on a gigabit ethernet wired connection. I was attributing that to the speed of my computer, a 1.2 GHz Thinkpad. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa
Blake, I have not seen an increase in the streaming rate after installing the beta. It's still around 800 kbps even on a gigabit ethernet wired connection. I was attributing that to the speed of my computer, a 1.2 GHz Thinkpad. Does that sound right?

Hey Grampa,

i am sitting here right now on a 1.8GHz P4M thinkpad and streaming at 1475Kbps on 100bT.

is your 1.2GHz a P4 or a P3?

the SlingPlayer takes up pretty low CPU usage. Why don't you check by bringing up the Task Manager and looking at the Processes tab...SlingPlayer.exe is the Process to look at...i would be surprised if it ever gets to 20%.

So, in other words, especially if it is a P4, you really should be getting higher bit rates...Some of it depends on content type you are watching, but i get 1400Kbps at a relatively static tivo menu screen.

what happens if you turn Lebowski/SlingStream off and go into Manual mode and set the bitrate manually to 1400Kbps?

141 - 160 of 298 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.