AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up my slingbox, attached to three Sony DVP-CX777 ES Changers. (1200 DVD capacity). The changers are managed by an Escient DVDM-100 box, which catalogs our discs, and allows us to access any of our movies by title via web interface. The movies are normally routed to a projector in our home theater, a widescreen (16:9) Optoma H79.

For the kids' videos, as well as for convenience, I'm distributing the video feed in our house in two ways. An analog modulator and putting it on the cable TV line, as well as the slingbox. Everything is going well, except that SlingPlayer does not perform an anamorphic stretch for widescreen material.

It's difficult to get the slingbox to switch the changers to 4:3 letterbox mode, and it gets to be a little tedious to switch back and forth when viewing in the theater and then on a laptop. There is also a little bit quality hit to go to letterbox mode before transmission (less lines of resolution to carry the image), although this can't be my strongest complaint, because I'm willing to go to an analog modulator or a 1.5Mb/s video stream for distribution.

So my questions are:

1) Has anyone heard if Sling Media is going to upgrade their player for anamorphic stretch (effectively turning it into a 16:9 video monitor)?

2) Does anyone know of a box that will perform the video stretch / letterboxing on the baseband NTSC video signal just before input to slingbox? (Quality hit, but at least I don't have to try to switch the changers to 4:3 mode every time I'm on a laptop).

3) Does anyone know if the Skipjam PC viewer allows anamorphic stretch? (Should I decide to switch to the Skipjam product).

Thanks!

Pat

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I've suggested that 16:9 anamorphic compatibility would be a requirement for the UK market - as all the major broadcasters are 16:9 to some degree here in the UK (BBC, ITV, C4, Five, Sky etc.) If your domestic TV is a 16:9 device, then you'd expect the Sling to cope with this.

Whether it does the 16:9 switching automatically (over here there is a 4:3/16:9 status switching pin on the SCART connector we use to automatically signal source aspect ratio - as well as Line 23 WSS signalling) is another question - though a manual "stretch" option on the viewer would be better than nothing.

I don't know of any cheap aspect ratio conversion devices that do your option 2. (They'd need to either resample horizontally only, to do a centre-cut out, or horizontally and vertically for a letterbox)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Jeremy. You guys are definitely on top of your product and users needs.

Widescreen DVDs aside, seems the new ATSC spec. may also generate some future interest in this feature as well, for viewing material broadcasted in the US.

Pat

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there an update to the request above? Also, has anyone figured out how to activate the */format key? It's a big pain to go back and forth between the two ratios. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.