Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 716 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riozilla
BTW for those in the LA area, I got yesterday mine at the CompUSA on Pico across from the Westside Pavillion in West LA. They did not know what it was, or if it would be in the TV section or the Computer section.. Finally I wandered around and found it in the TV section. Only one they said they had in stock.

Lefty/Rio: if the Pico store literally has 0 in stock, this tells me that they probably already sold through their initial allocation, which was likely 8 at the absolute minimum.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Blake, now that I've played with the Slingbox (and I'm very impressed), I have couple of a technical question. I noticed that the streaming rate never gets above about 900 Kbps. Is that the maximum? Also, while the streaming rate varies continuously, it does not seem to correlate with the type of network connection (whether I use 11 Mbps wireless or wired gigabit ethernet), the size of the picture, or the type of input connection (coax vs. s-video). I haven't yet tried this from outside my LAN. Am I seeing this correctly? How much difference will it make in the quality of the video to use a wired connection and s-video?

BTW, if anyone is looking for a Slingbox in the Seattle area, CompUSA had three in Bellevue (I got the last one), and four in Tukwilla, which might also be gone by now. The staff knew JUST what the item is, and were very excited.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa
Blake, now that I've played with the Slingbox (and I'm very impressed), I have couple of a technical question. I noticed that the streaming rate never gets above about 900 Kbps. Is that the maximum? Also, while the streaming rate varies continuously, it does not seem to correlate with the type of network connection (whether I use 11 Mbps wireless or wired gigabit ethernet), the size of the picture, or the type of input connection (coax vs. s-video). I haven't yet tried this from outside my LAN. Am I seeing this correctly? How much difference will it make in the quality of the video to use a wired connection and s-video?

BTW, if anyone is looking for a Slingbox in the Seattle area, CompUSA had three in Bellevue (I got the last one), and four in Tukwilla, which might also be gone by now. The staff knew JUST what the item is, and were very excited.
Blake discussed the maximum streaming bandwidth issue earlier in this thread. The link to that post is here .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellHills
Blake

I would like to purchase additional IR emitters so that I can put on other devices without moving the one which came with the unit around. Is the IR emitter a standard one with a standard plug that can be purchased anywhere? Please let me know. I already have my second unit on order from Compusa

Thank you

I am fairly sure they are the normal ones. I have many of them in my system. and they look that way to me.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
So you can stream live TV on this too right? You would be able to navigate menus on a Tivo or see the on screen display?

Also, would it be possible to have guest accounts or can the passwords be changed at will?
Yes, you can stream from any composite, S-Video or RF NTSC video source including live TV (antenna, cable, cable box, satellite, etc). I'm watching my DirecTivo right now and just used the controls to select an item from the Now Playing list. Yes, you can see the Tivo menus, etc.

Right now, the Slingbox supports 2 passwords. One for regular access to its streaming functions and another is an administrator password used for the purposes of making changes to the Slingbox settings. There's no support currently for the creation of separate accounts and passwords for multiple users other than those 2 stated above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
Imagine people listing their Sling Box IDs on the Internet and inviting people to browse. Imagine people in LA for instance being able to view a Sling Box in NYC and watch the Yankee games. Of course Sling Media could get in trouble from the content owners.

Look at how they whined about Google indexing TV shows to make them searchable by keyword.
I asked Blake earlier in the thread how he thought the industry would respond to this technology given the possibility that it could be used to improperly share content. His reponse is here .

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellHills
Blake

I would like to purchase additional IR emitters so that I can put on other devices without moving the one which came with the unit around. Is the IR emitter a standard one with a standard plug that can be purchased anywhere? Please let me know. I already have my second unit on order from Compusa

Thank you
Hey DellHills,

First off, thanks for the multi-unit order! You are the first person I have heard of by name (well, alias) that has purchased more than one.

We have gotten several reports from some stores that have said a dude has walked in a bought 4 or 5 at once, but i figure those are either competitors or guys who are trying to do the ebay thing.

I am not sure i understand your question. is this primarily for trying it out on different devices?

To directly answer your question: other ir cables that we have tried have seemed to work. But :

*note that many of the ir emitters out there have the larger 3.5mm jack, while ours is 2.5mm (just like the emitters on the Universal Remote MX-800 if you are familiar with that)

* not all ir emitters are created equally...we spent some extra $$ in order to provide a high performance emitter (more 'ir blasting ooomph' to use the technical term)...so if you do get some other ones, they may not perform as well.

·
Registered
8,640 Posts
Just curious, did you guys have market research showing substantial demand for people to remotely access their AV media (placeshifting as Walt Mossberg referenced in his review)?

One of the examples cited was accessing this content from work. But I would think it's a limited number of people who could watch videos at the office (not because of technical obstacles).

It is appealing if you're traveling to be able to access your DVR on the road. But other than business travelers, is there a big potential market? Or do business travelers represent a huge opportunity?

In the last year or two, people have been talking about whether portable video could be as big as something like the iPod, when the Portable Media Center players came out, then the PSP, then Tivo2Go, etc. Then all the discussions about video iPods and such.

Just curious why there are startups (with apparently good VC funding) working on these types of products and services. Obviously there's a lot of enthusiasm at AVS and other similar enthusiast sites. But does that interest go beyond the enthusiasts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
got mine today ...

the only thing im struggling with is getting the bit rate anything over 500kbs over the LAN, this is even when its hard wried into my router !!!

originally i tried this over a netgear powerline net work, then hard wired, its dosnt seem to make much difference ...im using a netgear mr814 router ..

thx

·
Registered
67 Posts
I installed Virtual PC 7.02 for the sole purpose of using this on my Mac. I had to turn off the default firewall settings in the control panel and then it started working... Kind of.

It refuses to play nice with my Linksyst WRT-54G router and won't allow remote access. Even on the local network, the frame rate is horrible. I get a video frame about 3 times per second. I'm guessing that the emulation is a horrible bottleneck to video quality.

Are us Mac users SOL, or is there something available for us too? Once the slingbox is set up, can you direct a Mac compatible player (like VLC, Quicktime, or even Windows media player) to the stream?

THanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got mine tonight (compusa had their midnight sale, figures I would go in for something not on sale, heh). They had three on top of their camera shelf behind the display cabinet. The packaging is interesting to say the least. There's the clear plastic external box, the internal "packaging" which consists of a cardboard sleave that holds two boxes together, one box holding cables, and the other box kind of encasing the slingbox in the middle. Its practically like an origami puzzle just to unwrap the thing.

The unit is well made; it's curiously got feet positioned such that it provides ventilation from whatever flat surface it sits on, but if you had two to stack on top of each other they would kind of interlock. The front provides two green led's, one for power and the other for network; and the middle "n" of the Sling logo on the front glows red, i think when I'm connected.

When I took the software cd out, it had a sticker on it telling me to go to the website to get updated software. On one hand, I thought this was brilliant, as I always like to have the latest drivers or software of whatever item, and this really focuses users to do so. On the other hand, it's almost concerning that this product just barely came on the retail shelves, and already it has software updates.

So I downloaded the software; it's 25 megabytes, wow. I install it, and it finds my Slingbox, and tells me it has a new firmware update from 1.00 to 1.09 already. So I let it do its update; for some reason, it hangs at 500kb out of I think 1.4mb; I panic, and let it sit for another 10 minutes; The screen indicates it should only take a few more minutes, but it doesn't progress.

I click cancel, and the installer warns me that I may have to reset the box or something. I cancel anyway; and then try again. I power cycle the sling box, then run the installer; it finds the slingbox, tells me it's going to upgrade the firmware. I click ok hesitantly (there's no other choice) and it thankfully finishes the upgrade this time.

I'm very astonished and impressed by the huge amount of ir codes it seems to have available, including for my ReplayTV DVR. It has TiVo dvr codes, and most standard tv, cable, and satellite box codes as well.

Nearing completion of installation, it needs to finish resetting the network settings. In a way, it's too bad theres no way to directly input settings into the device, such as I can set network settings on my ReplayTV with my remote; but as long as the client finds the box, it should be able to configure what it needs to. In this case, however...

I have an interesting setup, and most likely not supported by what Sling Media recommends. I have a PC with a wireless card, connected to a wireless router. This PC also runs XP ICS internet sharing to my Replay TV. This shared internet I planned to feed into the SlingBox as well, except the SlingBox wants a static ip address.

I find theres a way to set static IPs in ICS, so I configure it to do so. Were the ICS in XP UPnP supported, the SlingBox would have just told XP the settings it required. I thought ICS did have UPnP, so I kept telling the installer to do the automatic setup, but it kept failing to setup throught UPnP, so I ended up doing the manual configuration.

If you want to stream video out through the internet, you need to open port 5001. I opened it on my ICS, and opened that connection on the physical router, so now the SlingBox can be accessed out on the internet.

Testing over Lan, it streamed at 900kbps. Video quality was excellent, and the ability to control all aspects of my ReplayTV over a remote connection was amazing. Streaming over wifi seemed to run around 300-400kbps, still very good quality, though running into the VCD quality range.

For kicks, I tried streaming through a Sprint PCS Vision connection, which is supposed to get peak 190kbps, with an average of maybe 80-120kbps. Unfortunately, the latency is probably too high, as the video was stuttering and choppy, even after fiddling with the video settings.

As it has been noted in some places, you cannot have multiple users watching simultameously; most users probably don't have the bandwidth for it anyways. If you try to connect and watch while someone else is watching, it will give you an error telling you someone else is already connected. I might have liked to see an option to kick the other user off, heh.

Another interesting note is that by default, when full screened, the image does not take up the full screen; this is because the software considers the tv image and resolution to be VGA resolution, and formats the picture to 640x480. You can bypass this by telling it to change the video size to fit the player, but if you didn't rtfm like I didn't, then you might be confused at first.

All in all, I love this product. It enhances my replaytv by allowing me to watch recorded shows and set recordings anywhere on the internet. I know DVArchive can provide most of this capability as well, but this is a much easier, albiet more costly solution. Although I like the product, I fear it may end up either a niche product like a DVR, or it may face legal obstacles, like the first mp3 players, or how ReplayTV was sued to take out commercial advance. That's why I decided to get mine immediately.

I've heard a lot of complaining that the product doesn't do HDTV. If those individuals knew how much bandwidth is required to stream HDTV, they should be happy to get even EDTV over a streaming connection, imho. This product is designed to stream tv at tv quality, and does so pretty well.

regards,

-e

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rally1
Blake,

One thing I would like added, is the ability to switch video inputs from the client.

Per the PCMag review:

"While the concept is intriguing, there are some drawbacks with the current implementation. For starters, if you want to choose among multiple video sources, not just multiple channels fed from one source, you'll need multiple Slingboxes."

That way I can connect DVD, PVR, security cam etc.

Otherwise it looks good, for the me "killer" part is the IR support. The rest I can do on my PC with windows media encoder.

edit: Guess I should have read page 1 before page 2 lol

"1) i just spoke with my team regarding the multiple input thing: it is already in the plan for a future player release (of course, original purchasers of the slingbox will get this update)"
Conceivably, you could switch inputs, if you logged in to the Slingbox as administraotr, and then resetup the box. A lot of work imho. It would be easier, although more expensive, to have separate slingboxes for each video source you wished to stream.

I would have liked to see a slingplayer client thin install, such that I could put on my laptop, instead of the 25mb install, but I guess that wasn't too bad.

I'm waiting and going to try soon to just copy the player client to another machine without installing it, to see if that works; if it does, there may be hope yet for you w2k'ers.

The Sony locationfree tv was an interesting and (I think) similar concept, although the price easily kept me away from it; I've seen the lower end model go for $700, and the upper end model go for over 1k.

I too would have really liked to see a recording option; I don't know, but don't think there'd be too much objection from the media industry, seeing as how low the quality can be over an internet streamed connection. (I'm not saying its bad, but if it's not broadcast quality, I think the industry should be more worried about HDTV pirates.)

Oh yeah; the default player skin is too bright (all white) for me. I could edit the bitmaps myself, but I'll wait and maybe hopefully a skin sdk or other skins will be released.

Kudos, and good job slingmedia.

regards,

-e

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here's my run-without-install update;

Unfortunately, I have no W2k machines around, so all I tried it on are XP machines.

On one machine, I copied the slingplayer folder over; registered the .ax filter file, and ran it again. ;) Then, I got another error, which I couldn't get around. The player won't play if you don't have a sound card. ;) (This was on a remote machine, which didn't have a sound card.)

On my second machine, I copied the slingplayer over; forgot to register the .ax filter file, and ran it anyway. I should note, that this machine has all the .net runtimes installed, although my laptop and desktop don't, so I don't know if that already fulfilled any requirements. Anyway, it told me I needed to install MSXML4, which you can get here.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Download and install the msxml.msi. It's both the xml and the sdk, but the default install doesn't install the sdk, so don't worry about that. It's a 5mb download though. But the important thing is that it says it is supported on W2k.

BTW, just the player folder, zipped, and help files ripped out, is 3mb. I'm still looking at that 25mb install and shaking my head. :D

I installed the msxml, and ran the sling player again. Success!!!

Also, I too would love to see a PocketPC client.

Regards,

-e

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake_k
Killer Jeff! You have no idea how much that means to us over here at Sling....really fires us up. Let's fill the world with good 'ol live crap American TV! :) May you no longer be Lost in Translation. --Blake
Jeff is certainly not alone. All those weeks I spent in Mexico waiting till I could fly home on Friday so I could watch 24 recorded on Monday. Future is looking much brighter :)

Now I am just getting started but I am having a little trouble figuring out how to get more useable screen responses when navigating the menus on my DirecTivo. In control mode the screen does not update ever and in normal mode, it updates sometimes, but is very random and then when I start a program I miss the video (can here the Audio, but the menu is still on the screen) for the first 10 seconds or so of the program.

I am using the latest (*.28) software from the web site.

Thanks!,

V

·
Registered
21 Posts
For anyone who is interested, it will run through an SSH tunnel. I have not noticed any impact from wireless connection at home. Given the lower bit rate you will probally have remotely anyway, should not be a probelm remotely.

Performance is likely highly dependent on what you are SSHing to. The speed at which your server can handle the encryption will certainly impact quality.

After you get your SSH tunnel built to your home machine, just configure a new device in your sling client, make it a direct connection pointed to localhost with the proper port.

Seeing as it is a tcp conenction it should run fine over an https tunneling solution as well.

For anyone wondering why I would want to do this :) SSH is one of the few ways out of our corporate network and probally the easiest to tunnel over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Blake,

Quote:
hey new tivo,

one thing i wanted to make clear is that the version of the Slingbox we are currently selling is NTSC only. As you probably know, you guys in the UK are PAL. So, you have two options:

1) get a PAL-to-NTSC converter (we are currently working on sourcing a few of them...no news yet...if you find out anything in your own research, should you choose to go down this path, please let us know.

Although it works the wrong way I've already got a NTSC to PAL converter, bought though 'Maplin' (sort of the UK equivalent of Radio Shack) . http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=27967&doy=2m7

I initially was hoping to find something identical that worked the other way (although the quality is poor)! There are a few about, like this.

http://www.yoho-games.com/PlayStatio...2/product.aspx

However, my preferred option is to go for one of these, pricey at nearly £100 but good :)

http://www.avlink.co.uk/detail.php?m...OVMTC=advanced

I like this one because it seems to take S-Video....! They all seem to be made by the same company in Eastern Europe, however, so I haven't worked out where I will buy it:

http://www.celakovice.cz/~gemos-cz/list.htm

Quote:
2) let me know what type of tv source you are wanting to 'sling'.
I'm planning on 'slinging' output from a UK Tivo (similar to series 1 in the US). I'm pretty sure that you guys will have the IR codes for a Series 1...... I've checked, and they are the same on both sides of the atlantic, apart from a few keys that I wouldn't use remotely!

Finally, thank you very much for the incredibly kind offer of a Heathrow meet up - I've sent you a PM. If it doesn't work out, I will still be in awe of the fact that you even considered it!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I picked mine up from CompUSA Friday night. I have it working and controlling my DirecTivo just fine on my network, but I'm having trouble accessing remotely from the internet.

My situation is unique, but perhaps those better informed can provide me with a work-around please. I share internet access with my condo neighbor. I provide him with antenna feeds from from satellite dish since he can't get a signal and in return, he provides me with an ethernet cable from his router. I am running a secondary router which I plug that ethernet cable in to so I can have wireless as well. I also have my wired desktop and SlingBox plugged into the same secondary router. My router is the Buffalo WBR-G54, now discontinued.

How would I go about setting this up so that I can access remotely. The remote service fails to connect. I attempted to set it up manually using my ip that displays from whatismyip.com and port 5001, but the service just hangs between 'locating" and "connecting" and never starts up. I am obviously router inept.

If anyone has insight as to what I need changed to make it work, either manually inputting the info, or using the finder service, I would greatly apprecaite it. I will certainly help anyone who would like to play with the service themselves prior to purchase, by providing my login info, if I can just get it working!

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:
Hey DellHills,

First off, thanks for the multi-unit order! You are the first person I have heard of by name (well, alias) that has purchased more than one.

We have gotten several reports from some stores that have said a dude has walked in a bought 4 or 5 at once, but i figure those are either competitors or guys who are trying to do the ebay thing.

I am not sure i understand your question. is this primarily for trying it out on different devices?

To directly answer your question: other ir cables that we have tried have seemed to work. But :

*note that many of the ir emitters out there have the larger 3.5mm jack, while ours is 2.5mm (just like the emitters on the Universal Remote MX-800 if you are familiar with that)

* not all ir emitters are created equally...we spent some extra $$ in order to provide a high performance emitter (more 'ir blasting ooomph' to use the technical term)...so if you do get some other ones, they may not perform as well.

Blake,

I have a number of components, Directv box, ReplayTv, etc, in multiple locations in my house and want to move my slingbox around at different times without moving the IR emitter from the previous set-up. Also, I would like to use an IR emitter which allows the original remote to still work. The emitter included in the slingbox cover the small IR sensor on my components making the original remote unable to function. IR Emitters exist that are clear and still allow the original remote to still work.

One last request, is it possible to have your guys include a quick toggle command to go into and out of full screen mode? Maybe something like Windows Media Player that uses Alt-Enter to toggle in and out full screen mode. I find myself doing this often and a quick command would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
alcuin99,

1) Thank you for the detailed install description. I'm going banana's not being able to see how it works. I'm holding my breath for Win2K install as I have no WinXP boxes. There isn't any manual nor screen pictures that describe functions.

2) Thank you for starting the Win2K testing, especialy seeing that it isn't your problem.

So it sounds like you installed on WinXP, copied the program files over to another machine.

Did you copy all of the regitry settings as Blake discussed? Sounds like you did not and the Player worked.

Would you be willing to send me the files for me to try on my Win2K box? I would want the whole install not just the player (sounds like it's 2 different packages) so I can set up my Slingbox. I don't see a copyright issue since the software is accessable to the world on th internet, I just can't get the installer to let me on my machine.

I can take large email attachments and I should be able to set up an ftp site if needed.

What do you think?

141 - 160 of 716 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.