AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not necessarily sure what I was thinking, but a week or so ago, I came across some PartsExpress.com coupons. Though I'm not generally an impulse buyer, I decided to pull the trigger on two Dayton PA-460s. I'd been eyeing these for use as a nearfield sub. I was initially looking at getting the Behringer B1200D-PRO for placement behind my seats.

I've been following the Nearfield Ported MBM for Increased Mid-Bass Tactile Response Thread, which has some great info on the tactile response from using nearfield ported subs as an MBM. The B1200D is going for around $300. However, I figured that for that price, I could DIY something instead.

Since I don't have the space for the VBSS, I reached out to @mtg90, to see if I could do a shallower version of the VBSS. He suggested that I do a shallower slot ported enclosure, which isn't really the VBSS design (and which wouldn't need EQ adjustments, just a HPF). Nevertheless, I decided to give it a shot. With the help of @mtg90 and @LTD02, below are the dimensions I was planning on using for making two separate enclosures.

Here is a rudimentary mockup from @LTD02:

Since I had leftover wood from my two Modified Cyclops/Skinny Marty build, I had to modify the above dimensions slighly by adding .5" to the height and subtracting .5" from the width. I don't believe there will be an appreciable difference with the slight modification. The dimensions for the modified version are below:

I started building these bad boys over the weekend and hope to have them finished shortly. I'll have a tall order getting these integrated with the rest of the subs in my room, but for the price I couldn't resist.

I plan on powering these two subs with an iNuke 1000DSP wired in parallel.

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
You have been busy like Brian's saying. I like the box size having the depth at 14.5" inches it makes the placement of these easier to manage in your room. Having these nearfield while Gun shots are going off from movies and explosions are going to sound and feel great in your chairs. It really brings the movie to life.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have been busy like Brian's saying. I like the box size having the depth at 14.5" inches it makes the placement of these easier to manage in your room. Having these nearfield while Gun shots are going off from movies and explosions are going to sound and feel great in your chairs. It really brings the movie to life.
I'm looking forward to getting them dialed in. How have you integrated your MBMs? Do they overlap with your subs or are they handling a discrete frequency range.

·
Registered
379 Posts
What frequency will they be tuned for?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What frequency will they be tuned for?
Looks to be around 40hz
That's correct. I was initially going to have the port be about 2" - 2.25" height for around a 30-33hz tune, but I opted for the slightly higher tuning. I am creating a port plug out of MDF that can shorten the width of the port and lower the tuning to about 33 Hz.

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
I'm looking forward to getting them dialed in. How have you integrated your MBMs? Do they overlap with your subs or are they handling a discrete frequency range.

I have my 4-15" nearfield subs and my 4-18's up front set at the same fq. The only thing I did was set the delays on two of the amps which was for the nearfield subs since there close. I also had to play around with the Phase on the amps and gain a lot doing that. Once I was done I ran Audyssey to have the avr tweak it a little better. All four inukes are set at 20-100hz I did the ltd02 work around on the inuke amps to.

·
Registered
379 Posts
@VicTorious1
Cool! Nice looking project.
I've been reading all the recent MBM, VBSS & PA460 threads. I have something in mind but it will be a little different from a standard VBSS, so I was curious about yours since it's a little different too. Mainly I'm curious about the tune frequencies people are using and what effect it has on output/feel/FR/TR.
I get the impression people are using lower tune frequencies than the PA460 prefers, and if you're at 40Hz, at seems higher than a lot of the other builds I've seen, so i imagine you should be closer to the 460's efficiency range :).
Just looking for some seat-of-the-pants, real world feedback, and thinking ahead about my own goals.

Reactions: kagtha

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have my 4-15" nearfield subs and my 4-18's up front set at the same fq. The only thing I did was set the delays on two of the amps which was for the nearfield subs since there close. I also had to play around with the Phase on the amps and gain a lot doing that. Once I was done I ran Audyssey to have the avr tweak it a little better. All four inukes are set at 20-100hz I did the ltd02 work around on the inuke amps to.
Remind me again. Are your nearfield subs those famous maker drivers from PE or some Kickers?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@VicTorious1
Cool! Nice looking project.
I've been reading all the recent MBM, VBSS & PA460 threads. I have something in mind but it will be a little different from a standard VBSS, so I was curious about yours since it's a little different too. Mainly I'm curious about the tune frequencies people are using and what effect it has on output/feel/FR/TR.
I get the impression people are using lower tune frequencies than the PA460 prefers, and if you're at 40Hz, at seems higher than a lot of the other builds I've seen, so i imagine you should be closer to the 460's efficiency range :).
Just looking for some seat-of-the-pants, real world feedback, and thinking ahead about my own goals.
Yeah, I was looking for getting that tactile feel, and more importantly, that chest slam. I was initially going to tune it around 50hz but after playing around with some models and taking to LTD02 and mtg90, I decided to shoot for a little lower tune. Based on the MBM thread, it appears that there is increased tactile energy around port tune. What are your plans for this driver?

·
Registered
379 Posts
What are your plans for this driver?
I recently moved my subs to a nearfield setup with them sitting right behind the couch. The boominess and a major room mode to 50Hz I had from their corner and wall positions are all but gone now, so I've been really happy with that move.
So now I'm playing around with several designs to build a nearfield sub array with a large ported volume and two smaller volumes (ported or sealed) to provide both LFE and MB. For the Mid Bass I've been considering two PA460s in a ported enclosure (~5cuft) and for the LFE a high excursion 18" in a Marty (~11cuft). WAF is pretty high so my plan is to disguise all three of these volumes as a piece of furniture in the livingroom that sits up against the back of the couch, where my current subs currently sit. I'm picturing a buffet/dresser/sideboard or whatever you want to call it, with the subs and ports on the back firing into the back of the couch. Something that looks like the picture I've attached.

Attachments

Reactions: LTD02

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I recently moved my subs to a nearfield setup with them sitting right behind the couch. The boominess and a major room mode to 50Hz I had from their corner and wall positions are all but gone now, so I've been really happy with that move.
So now I'm playing around with several designs to build a nearfield sub array with a large ported volume and two smaller volumes (ported or sealed) to provide both LFE and MB. For the Mid Bass I've been considering two PA460s in a ported enclosure (~5cuft) and for the LFE a high excursion 18" in a Marty (~11cuft). WAF is pretty high so my plan is to disguise all three of these volumes as a piece of furniture in the livingroom that sits up against the back of the couch, where my current subs currently sit. I'm picturing a buffet/dresser/sideboard or whatever you want to call it, with the subs and ports on the back firing into the back of the couch. Something that looks like the picture I've attached.
If you have the woodworking skills, I'd go for it. That buffet/dresser, however, looks smaller than 16 ft^3. Would it only function as a buffet/tabletop without use of the cabinet (except for the subs)? Sounds like a nice project.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you have the woodworking skills, I'd go for it. That buffet/dresser, however, looks smaller than 16 ft^3. Would it only function as a buffet/tabletop without use of the cabinet (except for the subs)? Sounds like a nice project.
Yea, I'd put fake drawers/doors on it :)
Couch is 80+" long, so the dimensions I'm thinking are ~80"Lx30"Hx20"W, with 3" feet that should give an internal volume close to 20cu ft.
I'll probably start a thread some time with my ideas to get some feedback.

Reactions: VicTorious1

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
great idea. there are a few builds (I quickly searched around, but could not find them for you) that did some things similar. one had a kitchen countertop (derrickdj's iirc) that was sitting right behind his couch and when he posted the picture, folks were like "where's the sub?"
there was also another who build some cabs up to the back of his sofa, then put a full length piece of marble across the top. couldn't tell it wasn't just a marble table behind the couch...look forward to seeing what you come up with.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Nice work @VicTorious1

Your build is looking great! Looking forward to your impressions!

I'm guessing it will probably make sense to place this "upside down" so that the ports are on top, closer to your chest.

Also, for those thinking about optimizing TR, it would be interesting to design something with a slot port that extends vertically; essentially distributing the TR by the height of the sub instead of the width. Pro and cons depending on what frequencies you want to optimize TR, but would be interesting.

-Dom

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any thoughts on how I should finish these MBMs? Since they will be nearfield and not behind the AT screen, I was thinking of going with paint or vinyl instead of Duratex. I have some Duratex left over from my Stonehenges, but it might run out after I finish painting the Cyclops subs. @eng-399 - what paint did you use on your HTM-10s?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts