AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this is discussed elsewhere but I did a search and read the FAQ and didn't see this topic. If I missed it, please feel free to point it out (and call me whatever name you like for wasting your time!)

Why is the transfer speed so S L O W when sending files over the internet. I was trying to transfer a 1.2GB file over my cable modem (1500 down) from a guy with a T1 (up & down) and after 12 hours it was only 47% done.

Do they intentionally slow it down? If so, why?

Scott

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I doubt SB is slowing anything down. I've received a few shows in the past much faster than your current estimate of 24 hours. The last show I downloaded was a medium quality 1 hour shows (1.6GB) in about 8 hours. Not sure what speed was on the other end, but I doubt it was any faster than a T1. I would suspect that one of your ends isn't as fast as you suspect or there is heavy traffic.

The Replays do need to connect to SB for the initial transfer, but that's it. People have transferred shows locally on their own network in far less time. Not sure how long it actually takes since I only have one network compatible Replay.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Quote:
Do they intentionally slow it down? If so, why?
Your cable company does, they capped your upload so you don't set a web-server in your home. Check with them but I think they cap around 45kb/s but according to the numbers you're providing it's about 15Kb/s.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Meteor
Your cable company does, they capped your upload so you don't set a web-server in your home. Check with them but I think they cap around 45kb/s but according to the numbers you're providing it's about 15Kb/s.
he's not uploading - he's downloading from someone with a T1...should be getting better speeds

if you can get the ip address of the person sending you the show you could run a traceroute and see where the bottlekneck is between you & them

earlier this year someone who had no upload cap sent me a show...it pretty much pegged at my download cap (which was 512 kb/s at the time...stupid charter pipeline)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.