AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys. One last time (from me anyway).

1. Why do most of you prefer the commercial Panny to the consumer Panny? Or the Panny over the Zenith, or the Gateway, or etc.?

2. Rogo said that since all ED panals downconvert to 480, their pictures are all pretty much good. But aren't some better than others? Don't some do a better job or have some extra features to improve PQ?

3. These things are EXPENSIVE, so how concerned should I be about in-home warrenty vs. "me supply the transportation" warrenty? (I live a long ways out in the boonies)

4. I have never bought anything so expensive on-line. Please share your wisdom on doing this. Aside from the fact that my local B-M outlets are way overpriced compared to the internet vendors (at least $1800), is it safe? Is it worth the risks (how many risks are there and how bad are they?)?

5. Finally. I am not all that technical. In fact, I am technically challenged just opening the case of a new DVD. Will I be able to live happily ever after with this plasma, without having to do a lot of complicated adjusting and tuning?

Thanks to all. I am so close to pulling the trigger, my therapist is getting overtime and prescibing higher dosages for me.

Mike

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
1) This changed slightly this year. Same display for lower cost (prior to this year where the displays are now slightly different, but still cost factor). Wall mounting and not needing stand. As for preferring Panny, it's widely considered to have one of the best image scalers around the plasma world. The ED model delivers a picture that rivals many HD models.

2) See last half above.

3) Warranty is a matter of peace of mind. Just something you have to decide on for yourself.

4) Check the threads (specifically do a deep search for Vendor Experience) and you'll get a good feel for the reputable dealers to work with. Some of them (who shall remain extremely nameless even have posters on here and have great reputations :D) If you use the good dealers, you're pretty safe.

5) The initial setup of any new display might seem intimidating, but it's really just a matter of plugging in a few cables and going. As for the adjusting and tuning, a good calibration DVD like Video Essentials or Avia will walk you through getting the most of your display.

For a bit more on #5 there, let us know what kind of equipment you already have (sat or cable box, or just coax from wall to tv? receiver & speakers? DVD? Game systems?) as this might have a bearing on what display would be recommended.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Moebius. I have just regular cable coming from the wall. I do have a home theater system, Sony STR-K840P, whatever that is. I also have just plain ol' regular DVD players. No game systems (yet). What were you talking about with the wall mount issue? Also, I have seen where some have mentioned the gamma settings on the commercial Panny, that the consumer Panny does not have. Is this important? Does it really make that much of a difference? Will it be something that, in time, I will wish I had?

Mike

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Ok, with what you have I'd lean towards the Consumer Panny model (TH42PA20U). Panasonic tried to lean more towards a plug&play style set. You'd feed your cable straight into the TV, then through the audio out into your receiver. This allows you to use either the built in speakers or the reciever for the big sound when you need it. (I'm not positive on that part, but it should be that way) Then you'd run the DVD player through the receiver to the component input on the display. That's pretty much it.

As for the advanced picture settings, this is a tough one. The consumer model looks great on its own, so you may never want to tweak those settings. It really depends on if you plan on getting more technical with it, or just want a plug in a go model.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. Will go down and take a second look at the consumer set with a DVD, and then with my digital camcorder, to see what it looks like.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.