AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out why I have slow Internet performance.

I use cable for the Internet. The Cablevision service provides me with 15Mbps download speed and 4Mbps upload speed. However, after I connect all of my devices, I get no better than 6Mbps download and 2Mbps upload speed using a wired connected PC, wireless is even slower - I have tested using speakeasy.net.

Here's how my connections are laid out. Cablemodem connects to a Netgear Wireless 4 Port Router model MR314 which then connects to two Dynex 8 Port 10/100 switches. Each room's cabling along with a Vonage device connect into the switches. I suspect it's the cabling from the rooms that may be the root cause. Could it also be the Router? Any help here is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Well it's all very simple really.

So all of your devices share ONE Internet connection, so hopefully when you are testing this, only ONE machine is talking to the Internet and not multiple.

OK so fine, only one testing client. U unplug everything else from the switch(es) and test again with this one client, you should now get the full bandwidth. Then re-plug the other devices one-at-a-time and test again in between. At the end (of the tunnel) u should be able to find out which connection/device is the culprit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.