AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I decided to put together a small server to take with me when traveling on my RV. I bought a used HP Mediasmart EX485 server with 8TB storage, using 4- Western Digital WD20 EARX drives, upgraded with an Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200. I also am using a 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM Macbook Pro running Windows 7 on Bootcamp, an LG BE14 USB 3.0 Blu-ray drive, a Thunderbolt to Gigabit adapter and a used Popcorn Hour A-110. I have it set up using toNMT, YAMJ and a Popcorn Hour A-110 (see reason for antiquated setup below).


A typical Blu-ray rip to the server fluctuates between 8 and 4 mB/sec every few seconds and then after a few minutes it settles down to about 4mB/sec. At this speed it takes about 1 ½ - 2 hours to complete a rip. If I rip a Blu-ray directly to the Windows 7 desktop it runs at a very constant rate of 22-23 mB/sec, so this seems to remove the LG drive from the list of possible suspects. I tried turning off “checksums” in the network adapters in both the Macbook and the server, but this had no measurable effect.


Help would be appreciated!


Background: Several years ago I built a DYI 40TB server running WHS V1 and ripped about 200 Blu-rays successfully using toNMT and YAMJ, playing on a Popcorn Hour A-110. The typical rip speed to WHS typically runs about 8-11 mB/sec and takes about 50 minutes for a straight m2ts rip. This system continues to work reliably so any updating would simply be for the sake of change only. In any event, this setup is not the cause of slow transfer on the network.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did change cables cat 5e cables and the switch as well, but everything came from my spare parts box. I think I will try some new cables and new switch to eliminate them from suspicion.


I also downloaded a Hotfix from MS that was supposed to help with speed problems on Windows 7 and WHS V1, but no improvement.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I may have it fixed. I re-loaded that Hotfix on the server and now I am getting 10-12 mB/sec speed. The last time I tried it I mistakenly put it on the laptop C:/ drive. Duh!


Thanks for the help, but it looks as though I got lucky.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top