AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Merry Christmas! Guys I'm getting read speeds only 5-6 MB/s on a Dune using SMB from a PC with choppy playback etc...often it's fine and then it goes to ****. Moved house so now have a new Verizon router which may be the culprit, its a D-Link DSL-2750B.

Any ideas? Settings on the router etc?

Cheers in advance for the help.

·
Registered
22,435 Posts
5-6 MB/sec is approximately 40-48 Mb/sec which is just barely adequate for BD playback with HD audio. Sounds like you may have some network issue, or competing traffic. Best you can expect from the NIC in the Dune is 7-9 MB/sec. If your network is not Gigabit, you might consider an upgrade to eliminate issues with competing traffic. It doesn't look like that router is Gigabit capable. If you're using wireless, that's the problem right there and you need to hard wire it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes  /t/1507522/slow-read-speed-on-dune-h1-need-a-little-advice/0_100#post_24115249

5-6 MB/sec is approximately 40-48 Mb/sec which is just barely adequate for BD playback with HD audio. Sounds like you may have some network issue, or competing traffic. Best you can expect from the NIC in the Dune is 7-9 MB/sec. If your network is not Gigabit, you might consider an upgrade to eliminate issues with competing traffic. It doesn't look like that router is Gigabit capable. If you're using wireless, that's the problem right there and you need to hard wire it.

It is hardwired, the problem is off and on,sometimes a BR .ISO will be fine, other times it will stutter and be a mess. restarting the router, PC and Dune will sometimes fix it.

Just did another read test and got 7.7

Any steps I could take on the router so as to avoid competing traffic? Router settings?

·
Registered
22,435 Posts
I assume that's a Verizon-provided router, do they have any support forums where you could ask about settings? You'll just have to get in the router interface and see what's offered. There may be settings that prioritize streaming media. But a decent Gigabit router with gigabit ports on your media server/PC would be a big help. Might be something running on the PC that's creating traffic too.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not great with networking admittedly so bear with me! But buying something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833120655

plugging the the Verizon router into it to share the internet connection and plugging all other devices into the switch and not the V router is the right way to go?

·
Registered
22,435 Posts
If you're buying new hardware, just get a better modem/router and lose the D-Link. If its a leased modem, you could ask them if they have a newer/better model with Gigabit support. I'm not promising you that a Gigabit router will solve your issues, since the PC might also be the bottleneck. Swapping cables is also a cheap and easy step. Also, if you're using the USB port on the modem, stop it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help rdgrimes....one issue I've read about the Oppo is that it works better in half-duplex mode. Maybe that will also help

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Here's the specs of your router / modem

Device Interfaces

1x RJ-11 ADSL port

4x 10/100BASE-TX MDI/MDIX ports

802.11n WLAN

1x USB 2.0 port

Wireless

802.11b/g/n standards

Up to 300 Mbps (802.11n)

Frequency range: 2.4 GHz to 2.484 GHz

2x Non-detachable MIMO antennas

64/128-bit WEP data encryption

WPA /WPA 2 (personal/enterprise) security

802.1x RADIUS

WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup)

MAC address-based access control

ADSL standards

ADSL standards: Multi-mode, ANSI T1.413 Issue 2, ITU G.992.1 (G.dmt) Annex A, ITU G.992.2 (G.lite) Annex A, ITU G.994.1 (G.hs)

ADSL2 standards: ITU G.992.3 (G.dmt.bis) Annex A/L/M, ITU G.992.4 (G.lite.bis) Annex A

ADSL2+ standards: ITU G.992.5 Annex A/L/M

ADSL data rates

G.dmt: 8 Mbps downstream, 832 Kbps upstream

G.lite: 1.5 Mbps downstream, 512 Kbps upstream

ADSL2: 12 Mbps downstream, 1 Mbps upstream

ADSL2+: 24 Mbps downstream, 1 Mbps upstream

ATM & PPP protocols

ATM Adaptation Layer Type 5 (AAL5)

Bridged or routed Ethernet encapsulation

VC and LLC based multiplexing

PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)

PPP over ATM (RFC 2364)

ITU-T I.610 OAM F4/F5

Network protocols

WAN/LAN Switchable Port

NAT (maximum 4096 NAT sessions)

DHCP server/client/relay

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) Compliant

Dynamic Domain Name System (DDNS)

Virtual Server

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Albert  /t/1507522/slow-read-speed-on-dune-h1-need-a-little-advice/0_100#post_24119427

Thanks for the help rdgrimes....one issue I've read about the Oppo is that it works better in half-duplex mode. Maybe that will also help

I meant Dune H1!

·
Registered
22,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Albert  /t/1507522/slow-read-speed-on-dune-h1-need-a-little-advice#post_24120276

I meant Dune H1!

The Dune should work fine with default settings, I really think you're chasing an issue either with the router or in the source of the media itself.

If its a leased modem, this is easy - just tell them it sucks and you want a newer one with Gigabit support.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Dune has fast ethernet interface, so all the advice about switching to gigabit router/switch is nonsense. It won't help (and many report it may make things worse). It has the "experimental" gigabit setting, but that's rubbish and almost guarantees to cause playback issues.

The read speed is a function of:

1. Dune settings

2. Physical network including switches/routers along the path

3. File server and it's configuration

I run a Linux server and w/Samba I never got stutter free playback. Solution was switching to NFS over UDP, disabling 'Fast disk access' and enabling 'Blu-ray playback/bitstream improvements'. Disabling 'Fast disk access' was crucial - I get solid 12MB/s and nary a stutter, before it would dip to 10-11 MB/s and while theoretically plenty for blu-ray it was stuttering somewhat frequently.

Others get fine results with Windows servers so YMMV.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat  /t/1507522/slow-read-speed-on-dune-h1-need-a-little-advice/0_100#post_24121849

Dune has fast ethernet interface, so all the advice about switching to gigabit router/switch is nonsense. It won't help (and many report it may make things worse). It has the "experimental" gigabit setting, but that's rubbish and almost guarantees to cause playback issues.

The read speed is a function of:

1. Dune settings

2. Physical network including switches/routers along the path

3. File server and it's configuration

I run a Linux server and w/Samba I never got stutter free playback. Solution was switching to NFS over UDP, disabling 'Fast disk access' and enabling 'Blu-ray playback/bitstream improvements'. Disabling 'Fast disk access' was crucial - I get solid 12MB/s and nary a stutter, before it would dip to 10-11 MB/s and while theoretically plenty for blu-ray it was stuttering somewhat frequently.

Others get fine results with Windows servers so YMMV.

Ah, I'm only getting 8.2MB/s max using SMB from a PC and it can dip to 5MB/s...mind if I ask what's the best (and easiest for us non-networking guru types) and easiest setup for NFS on Vista?

Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
193 Posts
IO contention on the server. I know from experience if my linux box goes into a heavy io usage on the drive with my ISOs that playback suffers. nothing to do with network.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just switched over to NFS using HaneWin and still the same....looks like I need to try a different router or card in the PC?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts