AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Xfinity cable service and I get 220-230 Mbps at the computer but only 80 - 90 at the tv! The tv is a TCL 75" UHD Roku set. The xFi router/modem is right next to the tv and both the tv and PC are wired. TV is wired with a cat8 cable.
Even at 80 Mbps I should get great performance and I do for the most part. But, I still cannot watch the new Wonder Woman! Colors are pretty washed out and the movements are very jerky. It's as if the video is skipping a lot of frames. I wrote off the issues at first due to excessive demand for the movie but it has been quite some time since the release and I have tried it at various times hoping to avoid the excess traffic. No joy..
I think I should get the same speed at my tv as my PC, what am I missing?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Is the TVs ethernet port 1gbit or 100mb?

I know several TVs that only have 100mb port.

Can you check on router or switch to see what negotiated uplink speed is for the TV?

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
I don't remember see any TV with Gigabit ethernet port. All if them are 100mbps port only.

That said, you shouldn't have any issues with ANY streaming services even with that bandwidth. It probably something to do with your TVs SoC or software.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
19,592 Posts
See this thread - Insignia Fire TV slow download reports

·
Registered
17,303 Posts
I don't remember see any TV with Gigabit ethernet port. All if them are 100mbps port only.

That said, you shouldn't have any issues with ANY streaming services even with that bandwidth. It probably something to do with your TVs SoC or software.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Yep. Standard (100Mbps) ethernet ports. I stream thru the ATV4k, which has a gigabit ethernet port so I can always push 100Mbps to the tv's ethernet port. No issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
I would plug in a laptop, using the same CAT8, on the same switch port, and do a good 30 PINGS, to the same site you getting ur content from. U should get 100% success rate, and consistent latency.

Attempt to watch the same movie through laptop, same CAT8, same switch port, see what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would plug in a laptop, using the same CAT8, on the same switch port, and do a good 30 PINGS, to the same site you getting ur content from. U should get 100% success rate, and consistent latency.

Attempt to watch the same movie through laptop, same CAT8, same switch port, see what happens.
I have used a couple of different ethernet cables with very little change. The xFi router/modem has only two ports and I have switched between the two with no change. So the issue must be with the port on the tv as others have posted. I'm awaiting delivery of a different tv this morning. This one has a few other issues so I took advantage of my exchange privilege at Best Buy. The current set is a 75" TCL 635, the replacement will be the same brand and size but a class 8. A bit more money but a roll of the dice since it's the same brand. If this one doesn't bring me joy I'll probably go with a Sony 900H. I should be able to watch any 4K UHD HDR programming with the 90 Mbps that I am currently testing at. At least, that's what I expect...

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Yes, you should. At 90Mbps, you will be able to stream local 4K disc rips as well (they are around 50 to 60 mbps average).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Also, if you look at the "TCL 2020 6 Series Owner's Thread" in the LCD TVs forum, there have been at least 3 or 4 different owners reporting inability to stream WW84 smoothly using the TCL/Roku HBOMax app, but it working fine w/ other streaming boxes. So it might not have anything to do with your internet speed. Weirdly, many people with the same configuration, app versions, etc, are not having these issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts