AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean1300r /forum/post/0

I just bought a 4051D Sammy and for some reason on 1:85:1 (16:9) dvds I still have a small about 1/2 inch black bar on the bottom of the screen. Is there a way to fix this? Should I return it?

That is normal. 1.85 is not 16:9, it's actually wider than 16:9.

16:9 is 1.78

ft

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM /forum/post/0

What dvd player are you using and is it outputting a progressive signal? I ask because I had the same issue on my Panny dvd player and plasma until I took my dvd player out of progressive mode.

tried that and it didn't work. Funny thing was I had a problem similar to this one with my 3251d. Begging to suspect the dvd player.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean1300r /forum/post/0

it is anamorphic, but why would it show just one bar on the bottom of the screen?

Let me try some more dvds. The title menus are fine thought, but im guessin thats 4:3.

Correction: Normal 16:9 dvds only have a tiny bar on the bottom that is hard to notice at first, but it is still there.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
A calibration disc like DVE has a pattern that will tell you if your screen is shifted vertically or horizontally. If the image was shifted up a little bit that could explain what you're seeing. Not saying that's the problem, just one possibility.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Quote:

It's normal ONLY if the 1:85 movie isn't anamorphic.

You sure about that? An anamorphic 1.85 DVD still has black bars on the top and bottom on my TV. (BTW, I mis-read the original post where the black bar is only on the bottom).

I have a 16:9 TV with zero overscan. On 1.85 anamorphic movies, I need to set the TV to stretch and I have small black bars on the top/bottom.

ft

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok /forum/post/0

You sure about that? An anamorphic 1.85 DVD still has black bars on the top and bottom on my TV. (BTW, I mis-read the original post where the black bar is only on the bottom).

I have a 16:9 TV with zero overscan. On 1.85 anamorphic movies, I need to set the TV to stretch and I have small black bars on the top/bottom.

ft

Are you sure the movies with black bars are anamorphic and not letterboxed? 1:85 anamorphic movies will completely fill your 16x9 display. Look here - http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...ic185demo.html

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Quote:

Are you sure the movies with black bars are anamorphic and not letterboxed? 1:85 anamorphic movies will completely fill your 16x9 display. Look here - http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...ic185demo.html

Good Link.

I'm pretty sure that the 1.85 movies do not completely fill the screen. I'll have to double check it tonight with some 1.85 stuff. Most of my DVDs are anamorphic. I own very few non-anamophic stuff.

I think the issue may be that my TV does zero-overscan, so the 1.85 stuff that is slightly wider than 16x9 would have small letterbox bars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0s /forum/post/0

FWIW, DVD players based on mediatek chipsets often compress the image vertically by a tiny amount in upscaled modes. You never did say what model player you have... - DR

I have a Philips DVP5960. Its set at 16:9, progressive, and 720P.

·
Registered
855 Posts
By definition, 1.85:1 images are wider (or shorter, if you prefer) than 1.78:1 images so they WILL show TINY black bars on the top and bottom of a 16:9 screen. This assumes the image has been acurately scaled (maintaining OAR) to exactly fit the width of the display with no extra zoom/stretch/overscan and a vertically centered image.

The size of these bars depends on the width of your display. For a 40" wide display, the 1.85 image will be 40/1.85 = 21.6" high. For a 40" wide display, the 16:9 (1.78:1) height will be 40/1.78 = 22.5". This leaves a difference of

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I just did a test with a 1.85 anamorphic DVD (The Girl Next Door, if you must know). Anyways, when using my progressive scan DVD player, and my TV set to stretch, there were indeed no black bars on the top/bottom.

However, when playing the same DVD on my Macbook hooked up through HDMI, with the TV set at 1080p dot-by-dot, there were very small black bars.

My conclusion is that 1.85 anamorphic DVDs will display letterbox bars (albiet, very small), when the scaling is done properly and the TV has zero overscan. The Macbook fits these criteria.

My DVD Player must have some undefeatable overscan built in to it. I know it's not my TV as for SD material the stretch mode is zero-overscan. I wonder if all DVD players add a little overscan in???

ft

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED

The phillips dvd player was causing the problem. Bought a Samsung dvd player and it looks great. Now I just have to convince the people at best buy that the phillips is messed up. That should be good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.