AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on getting the marantz nr1601 next month for a 2ch bedroom setup.The marantz is perfect for what i need/want. I'm looking used(audiogon) for a decent set of small bookshelves that can be used without a sub. Right now the only one i've been recommended is the era d4's. would like to get some suggestions if possible.again i wil be buying used.300-400 is my budget right now.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought i would try this again.Planning in a couple weeks the latest.Used market of course.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
You can't really "plan ahead" with the used market.

With a $400-ish budget you should always be able to find something on Audiogon and Ebay.

When you are really ready to make your purchase(and not just "plan"), come back to the thread and throw out some viable options to us.

We can't help with a future purchase on the used market. It has to be "here and now" and current auctions.

·
Registered
730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 /forum/post/0

Planning on getting the marantz nr1601 next month for a 2ch bedroom setup.The marantz is perfect for what i need/want. I'm looking used(audiogon) for a decent set of small bookshelves that can be used without a sub.

Any bookshelves can be used without a sub - well as long as you don't mind missing all the sound in the range from 80hz down to 20hz, or in the best case 50hz to 20hz. So don't spend too much on the bookshelves as they do share some common limitations, regardless of price.

The 1601 is a nice little receiver though. I denied it in store and it's not bad for what it is. Just make sure to use it with some simple speakers that are legit 8 ohms and easy to drive. But a bedroom system personally I'd go for a coupla mini satellites and a basic sub, which honestly is the use case that the 1601 was designed for.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I have the Marantz 1501, the predecessor to your model. It's nice. I have it in a 2.1 channel bedroom setup, so I use a sub.

I have it paired with the Polk Audio RTi A1 bookshelves and a KEF sub. Yeah, not used, but the RTi A1s are $300 new now (their price has fallen lately). The build quality and sound quality for small bookshelves greatly exceeds that price point. Some don't like the Polk sound, but I would buy these over again without hesitation. The 1501 drives them just fine in my bedroom.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was eyeing some era d4's or maybe even the cambridge audio s30's or def tech. pro1000's. I would love to get dynaudio 42's but dont think the marantz could handle them.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1
was eyeing some era d4's or maybe even the cambridge audio s30's or def tech. pro1000's. I would love to get dynaudio 42's but dont think the marantz could handle them.
If you can find some Paradigms you might enjoy them. I had some Paradigm Monitor 3s that I used without a sub for a while. They did pretty well for movies and music. If you can find some v4 or v3 Paradigm monitors I think you would be happy with them. I told myself I wasn't going to get a sub but I ended up with 2.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well the problem is i need small speakers like the def. tech or era's. not sure about the paradigms

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Another good choice, if you can find used, are the Totem Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker. Although finding those used is going to be difficult, seems nobody ever sells them once they got 'em.

Lots of reviewers hail the Rainmaker as "the best" speaker its size, no matter the cost. Hence, Totem keeps them at a price premium.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anyone is interested,i just picked up a pair of mirage omd5's.Will be giving them a shot.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Rocky I hope you post a reply on how you like your choice.

I have considered those speakers myself.

So many speakers I know that I should only worry about how they sound but if they don't look good it just bugs me. I really like the look of the Mirage omd's.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorghath
Rocky I hope you post a reply on how you like your choice.

I have considered those speakers myself.

So many speakers I know that I should only worry about how they sound but if they don't look good it just bugs me. I really like the look of the Mirage omd's.
I will after i recieve them.I actually still have the nr1601 in the box,havent even opened it yet.Waiting on speaks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts