AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an EMP E10 sub that came with the tower speakers package when I purchased them. It's a small sub with only 100watt power. I actually like the sound from it for its size.

But there is a problem. The sub is front firing with a bottom port, ( pic ) and it's very light at only 27lb. Very often in movies during some low frequencies, the sub will "jump up" causing the entire thing to rattle. I don't really play loud at all btw and when I tried to "push down" the sub to the floor with my hands during these scenes, it sounded just fine with no distortion or anything. I think there simply isn't enough weight on the sub to pin itself down when the high air pressure shoots out from the port at the bottom. I do have wood floor, so I purchased a subdude. It doesn't solve the problem though because now the sub just jumps off the base of the subdude instead of the floor, causing a less severe rattle (as opposed to bouncing off the hard floor directly).

So what should I do to fix this situation? Is it okay to put something really heavy on top of the sub to hold it down? Will it change the sound somehow? I even thought about gluing its feet to the subdude lol.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
It's hard to believe that the sub is being lifted by air flow from the port, but try putting something under each foot to increase the air gap between the bottom of the sub and the surface it sits on. Or put something heavy on top. Some people use sand bags.

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
Pull the driver and put some weight inside on the bottom of the cabinet. I personally won't own/build a sub if it isn't bottom ported/front firing, short of me building a THT sub which I am getting awfully tempted to do. Otherwise, the front/bottom combo produces the best sound for music and movies to me.

I also find it very difficult (if not damn near impossible) to believe the sub is "jumping". Vibrating and moving sure, easily believable, but not jumping. Just mount the weights inside the cabinet, don't try to put weight on top as it will just vibrate off causing damage to something.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh when I said jumping I didn't really mean it jump up by an inch or something lol. It's just the feeling because I have to push it down to stop it.

I'm like a total newbie to the DYI speaker/sub thing. Is opening up the sub and pulling the driver a relatively difficult thing? Also what do you suggest I put in if I were to do it?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
If it's air pressure lightly lifting the box, then some more space under it should do the trick. But it seems unlikely to me too.

Maybe the woofer cone is massive, and when it moves, the whole box counter-moves.

Try mounting the sub on like little pieces of sponge or something, to see if the rattle stops. I presume you're on a hardwood floor? Does the problem stop if you hold the sub down very lightly? Or are you really leaning on it?

And if that's really the deal, then sandbags or maybe more aesthetically gluing weight to the bottom (making sure it doesn't interfere with airflow).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts