AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a small footprint sub for a space constrained desktop PC system. Budget is under $250, and I'm limited to 12" width and under (depth and height not much of a concern, since it's going next to a large desk). It's going to be paired with 2 Wave Crest Audio HVL-1s running off a 2 channel T-amp (SMSL SA-60). System will be used for 70 percent gaming, 30 percent music, and no movies or TV, outside of the occasional YouTube trailer

Currently I'm looking at the Dayton Audio SUB-800. Obviously well under the budget, but it fits my small size requirements, which is my main priority. I've read decent things about it, which put it at the top of my current list. There's a few others on my radar, that I'm trying to gather info about: Polk Audio PSW111, Sony SA-W2500, and the Yamaha YST-SW215

Am I missing anything from my "list" that's still being sold out there? I have no attachments to any one just yet, still trying to find more options

Thanks in advance for the help/suggestions!

Side note: I wish Hsu still made the STF-1 line, it would be the perfect size (I'd splurge for the Hsu)

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Avoid the Sony sub altogether. The Yamaha sub is too wide for your space, as is the Dayton by a little bit. With your budget and width restriction, you really have painted yourself into a corner with what you can pick from. One sub that comes to mind, what with it's narrow width, is the Infinity Primus PS38, which usually sells for around $200. Granted, none of these subs are going to give you any really low bass, but if the majority of your usage is for music and games, it's not really a huge deal. The little Infinity sub gets very nice reviews. I've actually heard this subs big brother, the 12" PS312 that a friend of mine used to own. It sounded nice, but for the price it didn't deliver very low in frequency range.

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Prim...796&sr=8-2&keywords=infinity+primus+subwoofer

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little over budget but the Outlaw M8 is supposed to be pretty nice
I'll add it to my list, since I do like the form factor, but I'm trying to go under budget, not over :D

Avoid the Sony sub altogether. The Yamaha sub is too wide for your space, as is the Dayton by a little bit. With your budget and width restriction, you really have painted yourself into a corner with what you can pick from. One sub that comes to mind, what with it's narrow width, is the Infinity Primus PS38, which usually sells for around $200. Granted, none of these subs are going to give you any really low bass, but if the majority of your usage is for music, it's not really a big deal. The little Infinity sub gets very nice reviews. I've actually heard this subs big brother, the 12" PS312 that a friend of mine used to own. It sounded nice, but for the price it didn't deliver very low in frequency range.
Drats! I didn't notice the Dayton was over, but according to Yamaha's site, the SW215 is 11-7/16". I guess that's the new front runner, but I might be able to squeeze in the Dayton, it's only 3/16" over. Time to bust out the measuring tape!

The Infinity would be great, and I actually was looking at it earlier, but sadly it doesn't have high level ins/outs. Since I'm using a 2 channel T-amp, I only have 2 speaker outputs, there's no LFE output

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I'll add it to my list, since I do like the form factor, but I'm trying to go under budget, not over :D

Drats! I didn't notice the Dayton was over, but according to Yamaha's site, the SW215 is 11-7/16". I guess that's the new front runner, but I might be able to squeeze in the Dayton, it's only 3/16" over. Time to bust out the measuring tape!

The Infinity would be great, and I actually was looking at it earlier, but sadly it doesn't have high level ins/outs. Since I'm using a 2 channel T-amp, I only have 2 speaker outputs, there's no LFE output
Amazon apparently has the dimensions of the Yamaha listed incorrectly. Do note that the Yamaha has a side firing port. If you place the sub in your 12" wide space the port will be smothered on the side with no room to breathe. You can't turn the sub with the port facing out, because the sub is deeper than 12"....so basically the Yamaha is out.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I'm likely to catch hell for recommending this....lol...but the Pioneer SW-8-K is on sale right now (shell shocker) for $79.99, shipped. It's 12.2" wide, so not sure if you can squeeze that in (that's what she said). I actually owned this sub and the previous model (basically the same thing) and used it for a similar application you are doing, used as my PC set up sub. It is a great little sub, but as you would expect, it doesn't deliver the low LFE. It did perform pretty well for music and games that I played. I even ran two of these subs stacked for my PC setup for a while and I really enjoyed them. For $79 bucks it would be something to look at. One possible problem could be enclosing the down-firing driver on all sides but one could be a negative. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=pioneer_subwoofer-_-82-117-402-_-Product

EDIT: The Pioneer sub has now been changed to a promo code for $20 off $99.99 and runs through 3/18.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts