AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Bose V20 system that I would like to replace (only supports DTS and only has 2 HDMI connections). 2 HDMI connections and that dang system cost me $1500, can you believe it?!?

I know very little about speakers but I am trying to learn. Looking for a small footprint set, similar to my bose. Speakers will be used for movies, music, TV, etc.

Been researching and found one option:

Doesn't look like the mirage has a center though and I don't know about the quality of Mirage. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. If someone could steer me in the direction of a good set of speakers or what features I should be looking for, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Do you have a budget for the speakers and sub? You also need a receiver right? Assuming your budget is $1500 for everything, and $1000 for speakers?...

If I absolutely had to have a tiny surround system I would get something like this Polk TL250 set, and then add a PAIR of subs like these ED A3S-250 . That will put you right under $1000 shipped. The reason for 2 subs is, small satellite speakers cant really produce bass down to 80hz, having a pair of subs along the front wall will allow you to increase the sub/speaker crossover point without localizing the subs. Add your favorite under $500 receiver and you have a setup that will crush your old Bose.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Warpdrv...correct. The Bose satellite systems sound like crap because 2 or 2.5 inch drivers cannot and do not produce full range sound. Other satelilte systems will have similar limitations...

However, almost any satellite system with a real subwoofer will sound better....

·
Registered
20,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20880916

Look at the Cambridge S30 Pair either with a quality sub from Epik, Rythmik, or HSU. Far far superior than the Mirage setup.

That is also my main reccomendation - however, it seems like they

may be too big for the OP.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Min 20s are not too big for my setup. What you guys consider the top three brands?

Energy 5.1 Classic and KEF KHT3005 get good reviews on Amazon. Big price difference between the two though.

Recommendations for a speaker set around $1500?

FYI: was also was looking at the Yahama RX-V671BL receiver.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi!

Also check out Orb speakers - plenty of professional & user reviews around that are very positive. Very high WAF, very small and come in plenty of colours! Partner with a decent internet direct sub & you are good to go!

Bazzy!

·
Registered
29,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii /forum/post/0

Energy V-Mini is a good option...

Check the Energy owner's thread here for a tip on how to get them for a great price from Vann's...

Yep with the special pricing four v-minis and the v-mini center will run you $660. That's an awesome price for a gorgeous and well performing small speaker system! If color makes no difference I would get rosenut. Then add whatever sub you want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.