AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been doing a lot of reading, and I've posted about this before. I need a front firing sub to pair with the Take Classic 5.0 set I'm about to order. I wanted the Energy S10.3 per some suggestions from old threads on here, but it's discontinued. One of you kindly recommended the Klipsch RW-12d and the JBL ES250P, but those seem rather large and I'm looking for something smaller. Anything in the 8" or 10" range that will beat the sub that comes with the Take Classic 5.1 bundle, or should I just order that instead? This is for music and movies.

Don't know if this helps but my room is about 13.5ft x 21ft. It's a long rectangle, but the tv and seating are opposite each other on the long sides, so they are about 10ft - 11ft away from each other.

Budget is $200.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The room is 8ft tall. Does it really warrant a larger sub? It feels like a pretty small room as far as HT goes, and I'm really trying to cut down on size. I'm also not trying to piss off my neighbors, and figured if I ever move to a larger space and need a better sub, I'd upgrade my speakers as well and leave this set in another room. And even if I do get a 12", what about the BIC F12? It's $100 less than the Klipsch, and looks more than decent.

·
Premium Member
13,404 Posts
I was the one who recommended the Klipsch and JBL in this thread of yours .

Your room is 2,268 cu.ft. in size. A smaller / less-powerful sub will be overwhelmed by that space.

If you want smaller than the JBL or the Klipsch, but still a good performer, the Polk PSW-505 is a well-rated sub:

- 12" driver

- 300W "continuous average output" amp

- 28-125Hz +/-3dB

Amazon.com has it for $29 over your budget, incl. shipping.

Keep in mind that whatever sub you do get needs to extend high enough to properly cross over with your smaller speakers. According to the cut sheet for the Take Classic 5.1 (PDF), the satellites extend to 115Hz @ -3dB, and the center speakers plays down to 110Hz @ -3dB. (These numbers agree with the figures listed on Amazon.com for the Take Classic 5.0 speakers, which also have a 3" woofer and .75" tweeter.)

With upper-end extension of 125Hz @ -3dB, the Polk might be cutting it a bit close for an optimal crossover with your satellites. Come to think of it, the RW-12d, with upper-end extension of 120Hz @ -3dB, is cutting it even closer.

·
Registered
14,582 Posts
op have you looked at these subs before?

http://www.nxgtechnology.com/subwoofers.html

a 10" will get you in the frequency range you need to be at in reference to your satellites...at only 140.00 a piece on amazon, this could be a good option for you. i always like 2 subs better than 1 tho, imo get a pair. 25-180hz is a nice frequency response. however they do not say +/-3db next to them so its hard saying if it will extend that low. jim wilson has a 500 he is doing a review on now. you might pick his brain.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001XWPEJQ

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eljay, it sounds like the jbl you recommended perfectly matches what I'm looking for, in terms of power, frequency response, and budget. Also looks like its a bit smaller physically than the klipsch. I may order it today

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I understand. I appreciate all the great info. I started another thread to emphasize trying to find a smaller sub overall and to give a few more details. It felt like a slightly different question, and I was equipped with a bit more info than when I started. The JBL ES250P spec sheet says the crossover frequency is 50Hz - 150Hz; 24dB/octave, continuously variable. Doesn't say +/-3dB. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
13,404 Posts

Quote:
The JBL ES250P spec sheet says the crossover frequency is 50Hz - 150Hz; 24dB/octave, continuously variable. Doesn't say +/-3dB. Thoughts?
50-150Hz is the range of the "crossover" (low-pass filter, or LPF) on the sub itself. If you're using an AVR that does bass management (incl. crossover), the range of the LPF isn't relevant.

Frequency response is 25-150Hz +/- ?dB. It's unfortunate that JBL didn't use the +/-3dB variance, but given that the sub is similar in size to the RW-12d, and given that it has a 400W RMS amp, I suspect (but don't know for certain) that the +/-3dB FR rating should be pretty close to the stated 25-150Hz.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HA. Whoops, I copied and pasted that without actually paying attention. At first glance I thought it was the line listing the frequency response at 25 - 150hz. Sorry. Was just pointing out that the +/-3dB wasn't listed, but I don't know how large of a variance there usually is in the measurement (I'm new at this). Sounds like it will be fine regardless? Thanks!

Also, just ordered a Marantz nr1403.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts