AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about 5 seconds when I power on my tube there is a greenish spot that is about 1 inch thick and 4 inches long along the right side edge of my TV. It looks like there is an unshielded speaker next to my TV. But there is nothing. This is a Sony XBR970. As soon as I notice it, it starts to fade out.. Then its fine. This only happens when the TV has been off for awile. Any idea what it is?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Im curious what this is as well, My XBR960 has been doing the same thing since day 1 (almost a year old now) , I guess it never really concerned me since it goes away after a short period of time, I see it on the right side as well, if I power up a game console that has a bright intro screen such as Wii the blotch appears but then slowly fades away within 5 seconds or so.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im glad to hear that, maybe its just the tv's speaker and not a defect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My XBR960N has it at the left side of the screen about 1/4 the way up from the bottom. I have been told it can be corrected by adjusting the LANDING setting in the Service Menu. I haven't got the courage to try and mess with the numbers just yet.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
It's a tube defect. Some yellow, some green, some blue, some a mixture. Call Sony

and tell them you have that problem and they will replace your tube. I had the

same problem.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where are the landing settings? I cant find the service menu... ok i found it. I dont know how to navigate through it though. Its all greek to me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok to whome it may concern. This is NOT a defect. After extensive researching the problem and speaking with Sony as well as a 3rd party service this is an edjustable geomatry issue. Others have had the same problem. I have a tech coming to make the edjustments this Friday. If I wouldnt have gone into detail about the problem im sure I could have gotten a replacment from the dumb Sony rep.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaroe /forum/post/0

Ok to whome it may concern. This is NOT a defect. After extensive researching the problem and speaking with Sony as well as a 3rd party service this is an edjustable geomatry issue. Others have had the same problem. I have a tech coming to make the edjustments this Friday. If I wouldnt have gone into detail about the problem im sure I could have gotten a replacment from the dumb Sony rep.

Hmm I dont see how adjusting Geometry would help with these symptoms but let us know how it goes....

Last night I noticed the discoloration was there even after extended usage so I figured I would try adjusting the Landing, what I did was copy a pure white image onto an SD card and plugged it into my Wii , I had the image displayed and could easily see the discoloration , I turned the TV off and entered the commands to enter the service menu (the tv was off for maybe 10 seconds) but when the TV came back on the discoloration was completely gone... the location of the discoloration is right next to one of the tv speakers, is it common for the speaker to be the cause of this?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have this same problem with my 34XBR960. I have adjusted the LANDING settings and it took care of most of the color blotches, but even at the extreme setting I can't get rid of all of it. The service tech near me is pretty clueless, so I am trying to avoid letting them take it in. I would love to know of some "geometry fix" for this. By the way, my discoloration doesn't go away after a few seconds. Sometimes it is pretty bad and sometimes it is hardly noticeable. Anyway, I am eager to get this resolved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.