AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a home built and decided to have the builder finish the basement.

I want to have a home theater in the basement and found a perfect area to build it but unfortunately its 11ft x 14.68ft...i guess that will do.

I've been doing some research and decided on my equipment.

Equipment

Speaker (L & R):Millennia M60

Center: VP150

Rear: M3 Bookshelves

Subs: PB12-Plus

Receiver: Still looking for a perfect match for these speakers.

Projector: JVC RS20

Screen: Carada 96'' but still undecided.

Hopefully you guys can see my layout. I will also post actual pictures without drywall since i will be only getting the final product from the builder.

I just need to wire everything accordingly before my Framing meeting which is in 2 weeks. Please let me know if I need any additional wiring that i might need in the future.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
No rear wall? So, I guess sound containment isn't an issue !

I assume most of your games are in HD so a 16:9 screen would be the way to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sound is no issue since i have no attached neighbours and my wife seems ok with it.

The is no rear wall because the area will be too cramped...

I am at the framing phase in my construction and do not want to miss any pre-wiring that needs to be done.

Room usage is gaming and movies. Don't really know about television since i mostly stream my fav shows.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
For a room at size 5.1 is fine. Run conduit to your projector so that you can update or change the cabling if you ever need to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would SERIOUSLY consider having a rear wall, otherwise your bass will sound pretty weak. Bass needs a sealed environment to attain the pressure it needs to make it hit hard. It will cary very far throughout the house as well. Bass waves are quite large. You would be surprised how far they can travel. Not to mention the loss of bass response in the room itself.

Just think of when you are on the road and can hear some teenager's crappy bass pumping from a mile away.

I would definitely make a rear wall and find a way to push it back as far as possible. You may end up with a larger theater than you first envisioned.

And after all, what's the point of a dedicated theater if it doesn't punch you in the chest once in awhile?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys.

It will be a 5.1 because of the room size and no rear wall. My basement is an L-Shape. I could have 11ft W x 24ft L but i feel like its going to be a long hall instead of a home theater room. to add a rear wall is $900 with the builder but i feel that it would make the basement smaller. I am going for a functional/home theater basement.

I will run a conduit from the projector to a utility room beside it, where i will keep my rack/equipment.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
why don't you try searching and reading some of the larger posts. There is a lot of info out there already. You can get a nice media/gaming area out of the space you describe but only you know all the particular details and self imposed restrictions like not using a rear wall.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks bud

I've been mostly looking at home theater similar to my size since the bigger ones have more room to play with. i tried searching gaming on projectors but only got a few usefull threads non particularly to the RS20.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Did you try one of the projector threads ?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd /forum/post/16953952

If bass is what you're looking but the room acoustics might not promote it as well as you'd like, consider adding bass shakers to the sofa to fill in that "bottom" end.

http://www.parts-express.com/project...ct=seismicSofa

Victor

Still deciding on that. I will only have 3-4 seats in that area since its only going to be me and the wife watching movies most of the time.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas2k3 /forum/post/16953968

I found conflicting advise with the lag issue on the rs20. some say it does not lag, others say it does and some even say it lags but you cannot notice it
Here's a post in the "input lag" thread on the RS20 - I'm actually kinda surprised that was the only post on the RS20 in that thread.

I personally use my RS20 for gaming on occasion (PS3 via HDMI), and I am not bothered by lag when playing it. However, I don't consider myself particularly sensitive to lag, nor would I describe myself as a hardcore gamer or one who plays "twitch" / lag-sensitive games, nor do I play on-line. So take that for what it's worth...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie /forum/post/16955158

Here's a post in the "input lag" thread on the RS20 - I'm actually kinda surprised that was the only post on the RS20 in that thread.

I personally use my RS20 for gaming on occasion (PS3 via HDMI), and I am not bothered by lag when playing it. However, I don't consider myself particularly sensitive to lag, nor would I describe myself as a hardcore gamer or one who plays "twitch" / lag-sensitive games, nor do I play on-line. So take that for what it's worth...

Thanks Poochie

I play lots of on-line games(mostly socom
) thus lag is a big problem in shooter games. I know for a fact, i will be buying lots of lamps since I average atleast 4-6 hours gaming/day on the weedkdays and way more during the weekend.

You can say i'm addicted to Socom since it came out and lag is the worst thing in that game.

My wife is a movie fanatic thus giving me the go to creat a Home theater/Gamer room.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.