AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first house & would like to make a home theater room in the upstairs loft area. I'm looking for the best design idea for the loft area.

I was thinking about a screen & projector, a raised platform with a couch on it and two recliners in front of the screen.
The loft measures 14' X 15'

What recommendations as far as the space and equipment?

This is a small budget setup as I just bought a new house & might be a little short on big money lol.

Here is a picture (bad quility) of the loft area to hopfully help.

I was planning on putting the couch to the left, hanging projector in the center area with the screen on the right side wall. The center wall has a window with wooden shutters. Would the space be to small?

·
Registered
34 Posts
14x15 is not that small, but as I found out for myself, squeezing two rows in 15' can be a challenge (especially if you do a fake wall to hide speakers etc). Unless you do movie theater style seats. Some guy here used Ikea seats (these ones: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S79825193/ ) and that looked good too. These require less space than home theater style recliners, that typically take > 5' 5" and therefore require at least a 6' riser. Of course it depends on your screen size too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Space can definely be used for a nice theater but it may be a bit tight for two rows. Measure everything out and try to design the space to scale (gridpaper pencil or design program like sketchup - visio etc) You can also pick up some theater style seats instead of the home theater reclieners or just get a nice What is the area behind the loft?

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
I agree with others, 15' depth is very tight for two rows and I would go with one row. My room is also small (11.5' x 13.5') I would go with 4 seats wide and if you have more than four family members, then i would place bean bag chairs in front as needed. If you have any questions or need equipment suggestions, shoot us an email.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too am starting a theater ... well redoing what I have done.. and my room is around the same size... I will be following your thread to see how things go and to get a few pointers.. I was measuring for two rows also.. but I think I will opt for one row and some other modular seating (bean bags... )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts