AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice on which direction to go with the speaker layout in my small 60's basement.

The original plan, which is now the long term plan, is to gut the basement and completely redo it. Unfortunately, that has been placed on the back burner, and I'll have to deal with the space that I have. On a positive note, the reason for the shift in priorities is my wife is pregnant :)

In my old house I had a large rectangular basement that made it very simple and straight forward as far as configuration and placement. I ended up going with a 5.1.2 setup at that time. The space that I'll be using in our current home is a less than ideal L shape.

I'll attach a photo of it, along with some terrible hand drawn layouts to help in visualizing what I'm thinking of doing, and working with. I apologize in advance, the colors and shading didn't turn out very good after I scanned the drawings. Blue = surrounds, black = heights.

The basement as it currently sits

7.1.2 Front heights

5.1.4 I'm unsure if I should go with side surrounds or rears?

7.1.2 Rear overhead channels

One thing I didn't have on the measurements was ceiling height, in the main area it's 7', and around 6'3" under the bulk heads, I know because I'm 6'3", and I bump my head if I'm not ducking.

I would like to use the speakers that I already own for the height channels (KEF Q100) as my budget is pretty tight, which unfortunately limits the places I can put the overhead channels. I will be removing the center stand, and placing the speaker directly on the water meter box as it's to high IMO on the stand. It was perfect in our living room, but for now I just placed it there temporarily.

Things left to research and buy; 2 channel amp to expand my AVR, wire, and seating. I'm only doing one row of seating, that's all I can accommodate lol.

I'm going to be putting a curtain across my hobby space to close that off when it's not in use. I've been thinking of doing that for the other two walls as well, but I'm uncertain of what will happen to reflections, and if it would be more of a detriment. I do want to do a few acoustical treatments to try and get the best sound possible out of the space.

The goal of this whole thing is to have a comfortable space where I can chill and watch a movie, and enjoy my investment in home entertainment. :)

I look forward to whatever input I can get!

Reactions: unretarded

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
"HVAC Guru" jumps out at me.... Why not do a little HVAC sheet metal rebuilding, add a wall
and rotate the room a wee bit.... The toy area could get a door into the storage area, or maybe even an expansion

That space could be rather nice, down the road with a projector and a DIY acoustically transparent screen. That could be a
multi year project, slowly rebuilding areas of the basement but evolving into a dedicated higher end yet affordable room.

I rebuilt my HVAC to a wider/shallower profile to gain a couple of inches of height, and to fit in symmetrical soffits.
That should both be right up your alley, and your skill set. And cheap enough being in the business...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"HVAC Guru" jumps out at me.... Why not do a little HVAC sheet metal rebuilding, add a wall
and rotate the room a wee bit.... The toy area could get a door into the storage area, or maybe even an expansion

That space could be rather nice, down the road with a projector and a DIY acoustically transparent screen. That could be a
multi year project, slowly rebuilding areas of the basement but evolving into a dedicated higher end yet affordable room.

I rebuilt my HVAC to a wider/shallower profile to gain a couple of inches of height, and to fit in symmetrical soffits.
That should both be right up your alley, and your skill set. And cheap enough being in the business...
Oh believe me, that is the goal. "My basement" is pretty low on our priority list, however, once my wife gets her new kitchen I think I can make a case.
My plan is to move the furnace and duct work from the center of the house to the outside wall where the stairs are. That would free up significant head height along the center of the room. The other bulk head that runs across the room is a little more difficult to deal with. Our plumbing runs well bellow the joists in there, and ties into the stack in that closet pictured behind the couch in my basement layouts. It's all cast, and it wont be fun to deal with.

However, I do look forward to the day when I can completely renovate the basement, I have a very clear vision of what it will look like, I just need the wife to sign off on it :)

For now I just plan on using the space pretty much how it sits.
I recently removed the wood valance from the far end of the room so I could replace the light fixture in behind it. I didn't want to use the florescent that was currently there. I picked up some 120v flush mount LED pot lights, they fit in the space, and are dimmable. I just have to put some blocking in for the front heights, and I can put it back.

Here's where things currently stand;

Not much progress, but still moving forward.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts