AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10x12 bedroom in an apt that I will be moving into that I hope to convert to an HT. I understand that the size is nowhere close to ideal but I am wondering if anybody has done this and has been pleased or at least satisfied with the results. I would be using an LT150 and a 60x80 screen. The rear speakers would have to be in line with the seating. One alternative would be to buy a rear projection TV but I love the big picture. Any suggestions, experiences etc. much appreciated. Thanks.

Peter

·
Registered
641 Posts
As an owner of a RPTV looking forward to FP I would suggest you stick with your FP! It is already a smallish room why give up over 2.5 feet of it to a TV when you could simply hang a screen and maintain your dimensions...

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Why not, go for it. My basement is 11.5x16 with an 80x45 screen. I use a CRT too so the beast is huge mounted to a 7' ceiling.

As for the rears, you can mount them behing the seating shooting up to try and get a little better dynamics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I guess that my 14x17x7.5 basement area isn't too small?

I thinking of an 80" wide 16:9 screen and DLP if I can get past the rainbow effect.

Or should I be thinking CRT for a small light controlled room?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Viking,

If you can pick one up cheap >$1000 I highly recommend the CRT route. If you end up soending more than that you might want to investigate other options. Personally I found a start on a sony 1252 for $300 that someone wanted out of their house before his move.

As long as you don't mind a 150lb device suspended from your head. Basements are great too, because you have the very strong ceiling joists to use to hang it.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Viking,

Your best route for CRT's is USED at this point. Thare are many that can be had cheap!!! I got a CRT based unit to tide me over till the digital units are cost effective for the picture they produce and don't cost an arm and a leg to maintain.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Hopefully, this goes without saying but I'll say it anyways. Obtain some small micro satellites. I did this for my mini HT upstairs and they are very unobtrusive given the space restrictions. There are also many decent sounding micro satellites.

Depending on which CRT you use it will consume a lot of floor space assuming you are floor mounting it. I have a Barco 808s which is about 3 ft long and 2 ft wide. Although I am building a table to enclose it and to hide it, it is still a noticeable hunk in my main HT room (13' * 23'). Personally I think a CRT in your 10 * 12 room will be too obtrusive.

Also you have considered plasma, very short depth but a few $$$.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im going to be building mine in a space that's roughly 10 X 15, and I have to deal with overhead sewer pipes in the front and a huge beam in the back, both of which can be enclosed in a soffit. For me, it's either build the theater there or have no theater at all.

Last weekend, I tried out a crt projector with an 8 ft image, sitting about 8 ft from the screen. At first I got dizzy, but then after watching a few times, I got used to it. I guess it's all a matter of how badly you want it. I would not want to do a theater in any room that's smaller than mine though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh, and I second the opinion on used CRTs. I got mine at a garage sale for (would you believe it) 50$:D . You can get them cheap from one of the forum members, Curt Palme. He sends out emails of used crt projectors for dirt cheap (not 50$ though)...

·
Registered
184 Posts
IMHO, a small theater has benefits over a large room. I do recommend sound treatment to temper all of the reflective surfaces in a small area. My room is approx. 12x12, so I am speaking from experience.

Best of luck.

Cooter

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the discussion guys. Looks like it could work. Cooter - any suggestions on how to approach the sound treatment issue?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Peter,

Sorry for the late reply to your question. My approach was to "deaden" the room as much as possible because of the tight quarters. That is, I used TS+ with acoustically transparent cloth on virtually all surfaces. Of course, the screen (among other places) is reflective. The reasoning is in a small space, the speaker coverage is better. Therefore, I have less of a need to rely on acoustics to get the job done. The "experts" may disagree with this approach... but everyone who has visited my HT has commented on the sound qualities.

That's a few thoughts for the sound in a small room.

Regards,

Steve.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cooter: I am also building a small HT in my one car garage (will be 12.5 x 10.5). I wanted to look at yours to see how it looks, but the link wasn't/isn't working?

Smyth22: I'm thinking about the Sony 1031 CRT projector becuase it is inexpensive (can be had for around $500), does up to 520p (I believe), and only weighs 65 lbs (vs. 150 lbs for many of the other CRTS). So, I figured it would work well in my small, first try at, home theater.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yea... sorry about the broken links. I am working to fix it after the picture service I was using went belly-up (unfortunately, another dot-bomb). I will fix this ASAP.

Cooter.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Oops... I'd better clarify. The main page was being hosted by my company, which then pointed to the company that went out of business. I am in telecom manufacturing... so I don't want bad karma associated with my company in these "challenging" economic times :D

Had to get that off my chest...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cooter

My approach was to "deaden" the room as much as possible because of the tight quarters. That is, I used TS+ with acoustically transparent cloth on virtually all surfaces. Of course, the screen (among other places) is reflective. The reasoning is in a small space, the speaker coverage is better. Therefore, I have less of a need to rely on acoustics to get the job done. The "experts" may disagree with this approach... but everyone who has visited my HT has commented on the sound qualities.
Steve (Cooter),

I'm assuming when you said all surfaces, you didnt mean to include the ceiling right?

A couple of questions from your experience:

- Have you tried out the usual treatments as described here in the forum, where you have absorbption below and less absorbption above ear level as compared to your room with absorption all over? if so what was the determining difference?

- What type of speakers are you using? You dont have to mention the brands, I'm just contemplating on using Sub + Floorstanding for the mains and satellites for the surrounds + a center speaker OR Satellites for all speakers + Sub?

·
Registered
184 Posts
John,

You are correct... I did not apply any acoustic treatment to the ceiling.

In reference to your first question... I did not use the rule of thumb related to the absorption below ear level and reflection above, etc. The reason: my space is not normal and requires a slightly different approach. I would like to claim that I used a scientific approach... but I did'nt. :D My experience demoing rooms with sound treatment pointed toward the theory that a small room required more relative absorption. IMHO, that approach has paid off well.

To answer your second question... even though you didn't really ask, my rig is all Atlantic Technology 350. Two floor stands for the L and R, with a center mounted above the screen and pointed down. This was done to conserve space in the small room. Dipoles for the L and R rear are mounted to the walls toward the back of the room. With the amount of absorption, I thought it was critical for dipoles to help diffuse the sound for the rear L and R channels (since reflection in the room is limited).

I hope this helps. A small room takes special considerations that can be easily overlooked. Think about conserving space as much as possible. Examples:

1) Mount the center channel above the screen verses below to allow more walking room in the front.

2) Limit the use of trim - especially chair rail since it tends to make the space look smaller

3) Recess your equipment rack if possible

4) Creative use of indirect lighting to make the room look bigger

5) Avoid using excessively dark colors - of course, balancing this with the need to absorb light. Ex. I use black cloth on the screen wall only.

Etc...

Got to run, but I think this will give you some basics to think about.

Let me know if this helps.

Steve.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.